Reload this Page >

Transferring funds UK - Canada

Transferring funds UK - Canada

Old Oct 15th 2022, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Tabularasa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transferring funds UK - Canada

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
We’ve certainly done transfers via Wise from UK to our Canadian account, because the attraction was that it doesn’t appear as an international transfer to the Canadian bank, so it doesn’t attract the usual fee. That was the main advantage to us - haven’t done recently - has it changed?
back in Sept I sent GBP1450 from Monzo Bank UK to Wise GBP account for zero fee. Then I sent the GBP1450 from my Wise GBP directly to my RBC Canada account using interac. Wise converted the money to Canadian dollars and took £5.94 fee. As the amount was already converted to CAD2498 before it hit RBC, RBC didn’t charge another fee.
Old Oct 15th 2022, 6:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tabularasa
back in Sept I sent GBP1450 from Monzo Bank UK to Wise GBP account for zero fee. Then I sent the GBP1450 from my Wise GBP directly to my RBC Canada account using interac. Wise converted the money to Canadian dollars and took £5.94 fee. As the amount was already converted to CAD2498 before it hit RBC, RBC didn’t charge another fee.
The bolded part also applies for the standard transfer process using wise.
I just had a "play" comparing low cost transfer via Wise and transfer from Wise account.
For £1450 the fee was 6p cheaper using the wise account than the 'low cost' method and 7c more arrived. For £500 it was 3p more using the wise account but 5p less arrived. An odd but very small difference.
Old Oct 16th 2022, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

CDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond repute

I transferred a year of pension from the UK to Canada on Thursday via xe.com. I've done this a few times before with them but always on the phone. This time I found it quite stressful but this was because I had changed my surname a year ago and it isn't the one they have on file with my id. Anyway, after a few phone calls to them (which I now see were irrelevant) it was actually all quite easy. The id part is now all done via camera on your phone.

I received the money in my Bank of Nova Scotia account on Saturday morning. The rate I got was 1.542. I've been monitoring since June hoping it would at least get to 1.60. Finally had to bite the bullet on Thursday after seeing what happened 2 weeks ago. So glad it's done now.

Oh and so far no fee charged by Bank of Nova Scotia (but then again I don't really trust them).