Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Transferring funds UK - Canada

Transferring funds UK - Canada

Old Dec 21st 2021, 12:20 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring funds UK - Canada

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's been a BE fave for a good few years now. I've been using it monthly for over 5 years.
Saved a few hundred bucks. The GBP is on the march again with the recent interest rate rise.

FYI if you invite people to use the service I think they give you 75 pounds. We missed the boat on that one!
Old Dec 21st 2021, 12:36 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Saved a few hundred bucks. The GBP is on the march again with the recent interest rate rise.

FYI if you invite people to use the service I think they give you 75 pounds. We missed the boat on that one!
Yeah, for every three people I refer I get $115. So if you are interested in Wise, let me refer you!
Old Dec 21st 2021, 2:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

They should make some kind of ex-gratia payment to BE and we can all claim a share based on the number of times each of us has recommended them.

With a bonus for those of us who knew them as TransferWise from the beginning.
Old Dec 22nd 2021, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Kingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I use xe.com which works for me and gives a good rate. Out of interest, I am from Bristol (south of the river -) )
Old Dec 27th 2021, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

eversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond repute

Two thumbs up for Wise (formerly TransferWise) - I've used the borderless account for regular day to day stuff (was very handy in our first month or two in Canada while settling and getting bank accounts sorted) as well as large transfers afterwards. Rates and fee are transparent as they can be.
Old Dec 29th 2021, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Kryten is an unknown quantity at this point

(My first post) apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, so does the panel think then Wise is a good way of transferring funds on a regular basis to Canada, like if one was receiving a pension or annuity paid to a UK bank account?
Old Dec 29th 2021, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Skyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond repute

Yes! Many people here do just that. I have used it for 6 years.
Old Sep 18th 2022, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Kingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I have trouble using Wise and hope someone can help! I have received GBP into Wise previously just by using Wise, no involvement from HSBC. When I want to send money from my HSBC account in the UK to Royal Bank via Wise within Wise, I click on the 'SEND MONEY' link but, depending on something (not sure what) I then get one of two screens (see attachments). One screen only allows me to send money from my Wise account to my RBC account (that's the only account I ever send money to) but that's no good if my GBP account at Wise has no money in it. The other screen I get shows that I can transfer money from an account outside of Wise via Wise to RBC but this screen only seems to show if there is cash already in my GBP Wise account. If I have zero in my GBP Wise account it seems I have to go into my HSBC account and send some GBP to myself at Wise then I go into Wise and forward it onto myself at RBC. A bit frustrating that it appears I have to keep cash in my Wise a/c otherwise I have to use HSBC then Wise. Does anyone else have this issue or a way around it? I asked Wise for help but they simply refer me to the 'how to send money using Wise' help topic which doesn't help me at all.
Thanks.

Old Sep 18th 2022, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

To clarify, my question is 'Within Wise, how do I select that GBP is to be taken from my a/c at HSBC if the option to use a bank outside of Wise is not visible which seems to be due to there being no money in my Wise GBP account?
Old Sep 18th 2022, 8:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingsboy48
To clarify, my question is 'Within Wise, how do I select that GBP is to be taken from my a/c at HSBC if the option to use a bank outside of Wise is not visible which seems to be due to there being no money in my Wise GBP account?
From the look of those shots you haven't gone far enough. You need to get to the list of banks and pick your bank or 'other' if not listed.
Old Sep 18th 2022, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BristolUK
From the look of those shots you haven't gone far enough. You need to get to the list of banks and pick your bank or 'other' if not listed.
Thanks, I tried again and followed through to the 'PAY' stage and got the choice of where the funds should come from per attached screenshot. I don't recall seeing that screen before but that's the problem with being a senior!

Old Oct 15th 2022, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Tabularasa is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never tried a direct transfer from UK bank to Canadian Bank using Wise. I found the best way from UK to Canada is transfer from UK Bank to Wise GBP account - no fees. Then I send straight from Wise GBP to my Canadian Bank Account so I only pay one conversion fee with my bank.

Because the Canadian banking system is very different (understatement) Wise is not sent up for international transfers to its Canadian bank account details - only domestic Canadian transfers.

So again my order is UK Bank GBP - Wise GBP - Can Bank CAD.

Hope this is useful.

Old Oct 15th 2022, 10:44 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Tabularasa
I have never tried a direct transfer from UK bank to Canadian Bank using Wise. I found the best way from UK to Canada is transfer from UK Bank to Wise GBP account - no fees. Then I send straight from Wise GBP to my Canadian Bank Account so I only pay one conversion fee with my bank...
I'm not sure I follow but it sounds like you replace one fee with a different fee. Have you compared them?
Old Oct 15th 2022, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tabularasa
I have never tried a direct transfer from UK bank to Canadian Bank using Wise. I found the best way from UK to Canada is transfer from UK Bank to Wise GBP account - no fees. Then I send straight from Wise GBP to my Canadian Bank Account so I only pay one conversion fee with my bank.

Because the Canadian banking system is very different (understatement) Wise is not sent up for international transfers to its Canadian bank account details - only domestic Canadian transfers.

So again my order is UK Bank GBP - Wise GBP - Can Bank CAD.

Hope this is useful.
We’ve certainly done transfers via Wise from UK to our Canadian account, because the attraction was that it doesn’t appear as an international transfer to the Canadian bank, so it doesn’t attract the usual fee. That was the main advantage to us - haven’t done recently - has it changed?
Old Oct 15th 2022, 1:35 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
We’ve certainly done transfers via Wise from UK to our Canadian account, because the attraction was that it doesn’t appear as an international transfer to the Canadian bank, so it doesn’t attract the usual fee. That was the main advantage to us - haven’t done recently - has it changed?
No changes on my most recent one last week.

It's been a long time since I did a UK bank to Canadian bank transfer but the only fee involved then was UK side.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.