Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Transferring from british army to canadian army

Transferring from british army to canadian army

Old Dec 5th 2007, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

geord342 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transferring from british army to canadian army

Need some advice. I am currently a WO2 in Royal Engineers (British Army) and looking into the feasability and method of transferring into canadian engineers. Can you please help. Cheers
Old Dec 16th 2007, 2:36 am
Just Joined

EyeBrock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transferring from british army to canadian army

You have to be a Canadian citizen to join the Canadian Forces (regular). You can apply to the Reserve Forces as a permanent resident. I'm not sure if they would give you any credit for your British Army time or rank.

As far as I'm aware there is no way to "transfer" from the British Army to the CF. Those days are long gone mate.

I do know that the New Zealand DF looks much more favourably on British military experience.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EyeBrock
You have to be a Canadian citizen to join the Canadian Forces (regular). You can apply to the Reserve Forces as a permanent resident. I'm not sure if they would give you any credit for your British Army time or rank.

As far as I'm aware there is no way to "transfer" from the British Army to the CF. Those days are long gone mate.

I do know that the New Zealand DF looks much more favourably on British military experience.
On the surface you are correct, in the main you have to be a citizen to join but not excuslively. The CF Recruiting website spell things out: http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/v...en.aspx?bhcp=1

Basic Eligibility Requirements - To be eligible for consideration for the Canadian Forces, you must meet the following minimal conditions:

Be a Canadian citizen; Citizens of another country who have landed immigrant (Permanent Resident) status in Canada may also be considered for enrolment when the CF has need of their skill, when the position cannot be filled by a Canadian citizen, and if the national interest would not be prejudiced. However, only under exceptional circumstances will authority be granted to enrol a citizen of another country.

The last bit leaves the door open to non-citizens. You can read more if you follow this link: http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/v...en.aspx?bhcp=1

Many have made the move from other Commonwealth armies to the CF and where applicable are given full credit for their skills. But you are correct when you indicate that no direct transfer mechanism is available...unfortunately that is the case.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Stew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really nice

I also thought about transferring to the Canadaian Army but now im going across there as a civvy. I would either email or call the careers office where you plan on settling and speak to them direct, there might be a way around this with your Rank and experience. It would cost them a fortune to train someone from Canada up to your equivalent Rank so you would think that they might have a procedure in place for this. Saying that though ive never heard of anyone transferring to the Canadians but have heard of people going across to the Austrailians.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Yes, Its a lot easier to transfer to the australian and NZ. I know friends that have done so in the past. I will take your advice and look at that avenue of careers office. I will be speaking to canadian embassy in london in the new year so i should get the actual ruling, which i will post for future reference to others.. Cheers
Old Dec 16th 2007, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Having recently been on exchange in the UK and privy (briefed) as to what our response should be by CDLS(L) when British servicemen/women enquire I can tell you that you will be referred to the website.

Although the Australian High Commission (Military sections) are actively involved in recruit processing and assist applicants; the small CDLS (L) staff at the Canadian High Commission are not. Unfortunately you will be guided to the website already listed above.

The Canadian recruiting process is unfortunately slow and difficult but many have and continue to persevere. That is a pity because they could as pointed out pick up some very skilled applicants on the cheap; as do the Aus and NZ Defence Forces.

CDLS (L) = Canadian Defence Laison Staff (London)...has three sections Army, Navy and Air Force.

Have a good one…

Last edited by airbornesapper; Dec 16th 2007 at 7:14 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 12:07 am
Just Joined

ex_REME is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by geord342
Need some advice. I am currently a WO2 in Royal Engineers (British Army) and looking into the feasability and method of transferring into canadian engineers. Can you please help. Cheers
Good luck Geord, there's a small but merry band of us who have made it across! It takes a bit of perseverance, acceptance of risk (I had PVR'd before I had a CF job offer) and the recruiting process is fairly slow. You've started at the right place though as you will find with a few searches there are quite a few posts on here with people's experience.

Fortunately the CF are recruiting at the moment and if you have skills they need, they will likely offer you a place. Be prepared to get wrong or no information at all from every place you look, even the Recruiting Offices.

You do need to complete the whole immigration path too, ie meet the points for Permanent Residence and be aware of the waiting list through London (4 years???)
Old Dec 17th 2007, 7:59 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

you'll need to be able to bang on about vimy ridge for a long time (this applies to civvies too) and how it changed the course of the great war
Old Dec 17th 2007, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

macmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for going off thread but interested to see REME after so many years, I ex REME'ed in '68, is Arborfield still the electronics training center?

Originally Posted by ex_REME
Good luck Geord, there's a small but merry band of us who have made it across! It takes a bit of perseverance, acceptance of risk (I had PVR'd before I had a CF job offer) and the recruiting process is fairly slow. You've started at the right place though as you will find with a few searches there are quite a few posts on here with people's experience.

Fortunately the CF are recruiting at the moment and if you have skills they need, they will likely offer you a place. Be prepared to get wrong or no information at all from every place you look, even the Recruiting Offices.

You do need to complete the whole immigration path too, ie meet the points for Permanent Residence and be aware of the waiting list through London (4 years???)
Old Dec 18th 2007, 6:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by macmike41
Sorry for going off thread but interested to see REME after so many years, I ex REME'ed in '68, is Arborfield still the electronics training center?
hi,
wife used to live with dad based in arborfield in 89/90 was still reme then. Believe still reme.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice
Unhappy Re: Transferring from british army to canadian army

Arborfield is still a REME garrison although it is now part of the Defence College of Aeronautical Engineering. All the original electronics trades have been combined into one and the Air-tech training from Middle Wallop has been added. The current Defence Training Review amalgamated all training into 5 streams across the three services.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

macmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info guys – sounds like Arborfield has changed focus quite a bit. Frustrated ‘Teddy Boy’ so at 17 joined the (Dreamy) REME, best thing I ever did - taught me a good trade and set me up to met the OH in Cyprus (WRAC). Still happily married & retired with 5 grandkids, Jeez where the H does the time go. Anyone remember Buddy’s “I’m just sittin’ here reminiscing ”
hi,
wife used to live with dad based in arborfield in 89/90 was still reme then. Believe still reme.
Originally Posted by Winston Green
Arborfield is still a REME garrison although it is now part of the Defence College of Aeronautical Engineering. All the original electronics trades have been combined into one and the Air-tech training from Middle Wallop has been added. The current Defence Training Review amalgamated all training into 5 streams across the three services.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 8:25 am
Just Joined

alyxsylvr is an unknown quantity at this point

Best of Luck My Man. If you really want to do it and stick to it you will find a way. If at first you don't succeed try try again.

During WWII my father was in the Canadian Sea Cadets and at age 17 he got a draft notice for the Canadian Army effective on his 18th birthday. He did not want to be in the Army. But wanted to be in the Navy. So he went to see the Sea Cadets Officer who made a few calls to his freinds and found out there were no Canadian Ships Accepting Raw Recuits within the next 2 months. So they managed to Enlist him in the British Navy on a British Ship Pronto. So My Canadian fathers first ship was the HMS Vicount later he was able to transfer to the Canadian Navy when A spot opened up on the Ontario.
So in the good old days those things were quite possible.