Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Trading Vancouver to Nova Scotia

Trading Vancouver to Nova Scotia

Old Jun 21st 2016, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133
Default Re: Trading Vancouver to Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I amended that search to include houses only, changed it to $225k to $250K and selected a more central area of Halifax.

Over 100 listings. Sounds pretty good and a lot of it looks perfectly decent

Maybe I'm a bit 'out' on what counts as central.

A lot of those are condos. The houses are either small, Old and dated or in areas that you might not want to live in. I did not mean to say that there were not any but that 250k does not go as far in Halifax as one might expect given the averages in NS and the Maritimes
Old Jun 21st 2016, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

adamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
A lot of those are condos. The houses are either small, Old and dated or in areas that you might not want to live in. I did not mean to say that there were not any but that 250k does not go as far in Halifax as one might expect given the averages in NS and the Maritimes
I think it all depends on where you are living before hand.
I live in London, UK and the prices are ridiculous and when I see the homes my family own and the price they paid compared to where I rent in London it's quite shocking and NS prices seem like tremendous value.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 3:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adamm82
I think it all depends on where you are living before hand.
I live in London, UK and the prices are ridiculous and when I see the homes my family own and the price they paid compared to where I rent in London it's quite shocking and NS prices seem like tremendous value.
One could, of course, say the same about prices in County Down or Kinross.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

adamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
One could, of course, say the same about prices in County Down or Kinross.
Do they have a Tim Hortons or Shoppers Drug mart?
Old Jun 21st 2016, 3:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
That's why I changed it to houses only, to remove the condos.

I 'sampled' a few of the houses. They didn't seem small or especially old - although I've seen some people suggest 20 years is old.

The areas, I have no clue about, other than going by the media there seems to be an awful lot of violent criminal activity relating to Dartmouth.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 3:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

No idea. I've been to Halifax a good number of times and couldn't tell you if they have them there either. Are you hoping to work for one of those firms?
Old Jun 21st 2016, 4:28 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like about 32 Tim Hortons and about 9 Shoppers
Old Jun 21st 2016, 4:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Looks like about 32 Tim Hortons and about 9 Shoppers
That's one baffling thing about Canadians, the retail brand identification. You don't hear of Swiss people thinking of themselves as Migros fans or English ones pining for Boots the Chemist. Specific goods, sure, people might miss Select cigarettes or Branston pickle but the nostalgia for a specific outlet of generic goods seems really strange. I doubt most non-Canadians could tell you where they bought their last disposable razor or blob of fatty fried dough.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 6:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

That's one baffling thing about Canadians, the retail brand identification...
But is that a desire for the brand or just general identification?

We buy tissues and kitchen roll, with brand varying but the mother in law and kids, being Canadian, call them Kleenex and Scott Towels even though they're not.

Same with the vacuum cleaner or Hoover even though it's not.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

We are re-visiting Vancouver, where we lived for 26 years before retiring in Bali. The price of property IS astronomical but the 'powers that be' don't seem to have an answer for the speculators. I hear some overseas buyers are prioritized by developers and buy unseen, then put the property back on the market at higher asking prices, and gettin even higher offers.
IMO....this is unsustainable.
Our vacation rental apartment downtown (AirBnB) looks out over many, many vacant apartments. Maybe that issue should be addressed.
We visited friends in Nanaimo last week and drove up the coast where we found many reasonable properties for sale at reasonable prices. Worth taking a look around Parksville with it's lovely views, water and forest...and easy access to the ferries and shopping in Nanaimo... but not so good for those looking for a job.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 7:47 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

That's one baffling thing about Canadians, the retail brand identification. You don't hear of ... English ones pining for Boots the Chemist...
Marks & Spencer?
Old Jun 21st 2016, 8:28 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

That's one baffling thing about Canadians, the retail brand identification. .
Prosecco?
Old Jun 21st 2016, 9:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Marks & Spencer?
I don't buy bras but would have thought it product rather than premises that appeals, not quite the same as wanting to go to Shoppers Drug Mart or Tim Hortons for the same product available at Rexall or Coffee Time specifically to be in Shoppers Drug Mart or Tim Hortons.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 11:22 pm
swoops

swoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cxx
Pete's is not your average supermarket. They are trying to be more Whole Foods than Asda, and are more expensive than Superstore / Sobeys.
I believe Sobeys now owns Pete's, would explain the high cost