Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto's pretty Ugly compared to London

Toronto's pretty Ugly compared to London

Old May 7th 2009, 7:04 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Toronto's pretty Ugly compared to London

Westfields shopping centre in London is not better that the Eaton Centre. Westfields is just like every other shopping centre full of high street stores with a few extra's and the odd designer.

I live in Maidstone - Kent I can tell you that there is nothing about London England that is cosy. It is dirty, full of rude people, and guess what emigrants!! You can spend all day in London and very rarely hear an English voice.

I say to the OP take off your rose tinted specs. I found Toronto to be clean, with friendly people, and the customer service you receive in Canada can not be seen anywhere in England.

Cant believe I have just taken the bait of a troll
Old May 7th 2009, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

ShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really nice

Not sure why you visited in the first place? If you looked up even 1 picture online you would see Toronto has similar architecture to other North American cities unlike that of Europe. People hold these strange high expectations and offer the idea "that they can do better". As a designer myself im not sure what kind of trained eye your looking from, but to some old bricks look nice, and to others modern glass skyscapers.

Your trying to compare apples and oranges and there never going to be the same species. Best to stay where you are and leave your opinions to a night of beers with friends.
Old May 7th 2009, 7:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacq & Brian
Westfields shopping centre in London is not better that the Eaton Centre. Westfields is just like every other shopping centre full of high street stores with a few extra's and the odd designer.

I live in Maidstone - Kent I can tell you that there is nothing about London England that is cosy. It is dirty, full of rude people, and guess what emigrants!! You can spend all day in London and very rarely hear an English voice.

I say to the OP take off your rose tinted specs. I found Toronto to be clean, with friendly people, and the customer service you receive in Canada can not be seen anywhere in England.

Cant believe I have just taken the bait of a troll
And just to show the everybody has a different view, I find exactly the opposite! People were much ruder in Toronto and it certainly wasn't cleaner than London when I was there. Haven't visited Westfield but the Eaton Centre was certainly full of high st stores too - just Canadian ones!

Give me London over Toronto anyday. Different strokes for different folks etc.
Old May 7th 2009, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I thought London was okay too. Except for that one guy on the subway :curse:
Old May 7th 2009, 8:09 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

And just to show the everybody has a different view, I find exactly the opposite! People were much ruder in Toronto and it certainly wasn't cleaner than London when I was there. Haven't visited Westfield but the Eaton Centre was certainly full of high st stores too - just Canadian ones!

Agreed.
Old May 7th 2009, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

skyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really nice

Originally Posted by rwin
Really? I love that part of the country.
Nah, not really.........just that I worked in an occupation that had me dealing with the seediest parts and people. so I have a blinkered image to a degree. Yorkshire is a beautiful part of the country and has a lot of history and great buildings. I am getting itchy for my immigration to BC.
Old May 7th 2009, 10:34 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but White City is such an attractive part of London, isn't it?
Old May 7th 2009, 10:59 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by esha100
Just came back after spending 2 weeks in Toronto. Wasn't one bit impressed with the city. Most people there moan about how cold winters are, and how the place is full of too many emmigrants.
We live in London and despite it being congested its pretty cosy here.
I toronto we went downtown to the Eaton centre and found it was nothing as nice as the New Westfield center we have in lodnon.
Overall I give Toronto the thumbs down. Only place i liked was Niagra falls.
We were staying in Oakville for 5 days and Butlington for 7 days
What did you expect big ben and the palace? Having spent a couple of weeks in Toronto myself - i loved it. I thought it was a pretty happening place compared to vancouver - but god was is it hot. Wouldn't use the word cosy to describe London.
Old May 7th 2009, 11:01 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
I was watching an old episode of top gear on on bbc canada the other day, there was a film of Detroit. To be honest it didnt look a lot different to part of winnipeg. I rather suspect that detroits social issues a notch or two up on winnipeg though.

In fairness as stewart says most north american citys are not attractive places in the same way that european citys are.

I think North America may be quite nice once it's finished, they have only been at it for a couple of hundred years, Rome wasnt built in a day after all.
Old May 8th 2009, 6:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Yes, but White City is such an attractive part of London, isn't it?
Is that where it is?! Not being a shopping fan I have no idea. What a picturesque area they chose then.
Old May 8th 2009, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Is that where it is?! Not being a shopping fan I have no idea. What a picturesque area they chose then.
I watched Westfield being built as it's directly opposite the BBC TV multi-storey car park. It was a redevelopment of old industrial land between the railway and four-lane feeder road between Holland Park roundabout and the A40 (on the one side) and Wood Lane (on the other). It's a huge, huge improvement on the wasteland that was there before and a decent enough example of the mega indoor shopping mall. It's true though that the whole Shepherd's Bush area is somewhat seedy (as are many parts of London).

You'd think though that Toronto, being a relatively recent construct, would be better planned than a 2000+ year-old hodgepodge.
Old May 8th 2009, 7:37 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

I think What I am trying to say is, that they are both big city's, love em or loath em.

I think it unfair to attack Toronto when in my oppinion London is not the great place the OP seemed to think it is. London is a very big city and I have seen alot of it, the good and the bad.
Old May 8th 2009, 9:17 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I think What I am trying to say is, that they are both big city's, love em or loath em.

I think it unfair to attack Toronto when in my oppinion London is not the great place the OP seemed to think it is. London is a very big city and I have seen alot of it, the good and the bad.
I just wanted to add that when I first visited Toronto back in March 2004 the place was lost on me. Everybody dissapeared underground, I struggled to find the nightlife and the -8 temperature completely caught my wardrobe off guard.

My opinion completely changed after living there for a year. Toronto in the winter and Toronto in the summer are very different and visitors to the city during either season will have very different experiences.

I think if on my first visit I had had a Toronto Native to help me around the place it would of been a much easier experience as the nightlife and tourist attractions certainly aren't as obvious as London.

There is something very rewarding about wrapping up in your fleece, ski jacket, woolly hat and gloves and then trekking out in the the icey cold winter to a bar and having a beer.

Anyway with out going of target and into a rant I will close by saying that Toronto is a much better place to live and work than it is as a tourist destination. I think for London it is more likely to be the other way round. I live and work in London and love the city but I am fortunate to earn what I do. I would hate to earn less than £25k and live in London where as on $45 to $50k in Toronto I would be much happier. The standard of living of Toronto for the common working man is definately higher in Toronto than London.

Last edited by JamesM; May 8th 2009 at 9:32 am.
Old May 8th 2009, 9:22 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
I just wanted to add that when I first visitied to Toronto back in March 2004 the place was lost on me. Everybody dissapeared underground, I struggled to find the nightlife and the -8 temperature completely caught my wardrobe off guard.

My opinion completely changed after living there for a year. Toronto in the winter and Toronto in the summer are very different and visitors to the city during either season will have very different experiences.

I think if on my first visit I had had a Toronto Native to help me around the place it would of been a much easier experience as the nightlife and tourist attractions certainly aren't as obvious as London.

There is something very rewarding about wrapping up in your fleece, ski jacket, wooly hat and gloves and then trekking out in the the icey cold winter to a bar and having a beer.

Anyway with out going of target and into a rant I will close by saying that Toronto is a much better place to live and work than it is as a tourist destination. I think for London it is more likely to be the other way round. I live and work in London and love the city but I am fortunate to earn what I do. I would hate to earn less than £25k and live in London where as on $45 to $50k in Toronto I would be much happier. The standard of living of Toronto for the common working man is definately higher in Toronto than London.
I notice you live in Crapham. I'll be driving through there this afternoon on my way to Dulwich Village

I also agree with part of what you say. London is an awesome city if you can afford it. Same goes for may cities no doubt. I'd hate to live in London on what i would consider a low wage for sure.
Old May 8th 2009, 9:34 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I notice you live in Crapham. I'll be driving through there this afternoon on my way to Dulwich Village

I also agree with part of what you say. London is an awesome city if you can afford it. Same goes for may cities no doubt. I'd hate to live in London on what i would consider a low wage for sure.
El-richo we are practically related

I will be dropping my car at Dulwich Audi for a service on Monday first thing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.