Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto's pretty Ugly compared to London

Toronto's pretty Ugly compared to London

Old May 7th 2009, 4:59 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto's pretty Ugly compared to London

Originally Posted by dbd33
Even in absolute numbers Toronto has way more immigants. If the population is 3,000,000 that's better than 1,500,000 immigrants, London would have to be 25% immigrants to match that but it doesn't even have a 10% immigrant population. Only Miami has more immigrants by both measures than Toronto.
Thanks for that dbd

Wasnt sure of the (true) % in toronto or the (approx) population so took the 'easy' route.
Old May 7th 2009, 5:01 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like Brampton:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southall#Race

Tiny proportion of the population of London though.
Thanks dbd.
Old May 7th 2009, 5:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Thanks dbd.
Note also that there's a comparison trap, Wikipedia lists people by race (I assume self-identified race) so first or second generation Southallians (?) count as "Indian" or whatever. The 50%+ figure for Toronto is actual "off the boat" immigrants. If you count all the people in Toronto who think they're foreign it's not 50% but much more, perhaps even 100%
Old May 7th 2009, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I haven't really got to grips with Toronto. The first few times I visited I hated it, thought it very small town. It's growing on me now, the last time I went was with a local and so I saw it in a different way.

If you want an upbeat view of TO then look at Rob's blog.
You rang?

Gosh, I've not been here on BE for ages, but a steady stream of visitors from here have been popping into me blog, so I thought I'd find out why.

Nice of you to point them in my direction and yes, I try give a fairly honest view of Tronno as I have experienced it in my 18 months here.

It's not somewhere I planned on living, but it's where we find ourselves and I decided to explore the city and get to know it. It's a fairly typical looking North American city, but it is filled with a diverse population that pretty much get on with life and each other. The various different cultures mean there are all manner of different restaurants and events.

I have grown to like this city, to enjoy living here and enjoy what it has to offer. I am continually surprised at all the great things there are to do.

It's not really clever to compare London to Toronto. If London works for you, stay there because you'll not find anywhere like it. If you want different, then think of finding somewhere that offers the best compromise of what it is you need. Anywhere is going to be a compromise as nowhere is going to fit the bill perfectly. You just need to know what it is that is most important.

Don't move just to get away from something, go to something. If things are that bad where you are, then anywhere will be better and will be an improvement. The right attitude is the most important thing to take with you when you move countries.
Old May 7th 2009, 5:11 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Note also that there's a comparison trap, Wikipedia lists people by race (I assume self-identified race) so first or second generation Southallians (?) count as "Indian" or whatever. The 50%+ figure for Toronto is actual "off the boat" immigrants. If you count all the people in Toronto who think they're foreign it's not 50% but much more, perhaps even 100%
I'm finding that here, My last home the nieghbours on one side called themselves Finish and Scandanavian (he was third generation she was second), the other side called themselves English and Ukranian (he was fourth generation, she was born here BUT yes the WHOLE town she grew up in was 99.9% Ukranian). The couple across the road she called herself chinese ( her sister claimed to be korean, if you can work that one out ) but was born here and he actually 'admited' to being 'Canadian' (though he looked the same ethnic group as his wife).
Old May 7th 2009, 5:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I'm finding that here, My last home the nieghbours on one side called themselves Finish and Scandanavian (he was third generation she was second), the other side called themselves English and Ukranian (he was fourth generation, she was born here BUT yes the WHOLE town she grew up in was 99.9% Ukranian). The couple across the road she called herself chinese ( her sister claimed to be korean, if you can work that one out ) but was born here and he actually 'admited' to being 'Canadian' (though he looked the same ethnic group as his wife).
Find me an American who doesn't think she has a little paddy in her somewhere.
Old May 7th 2009, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

But it's inevitable, if you've once seen London and you subsequently wake up in Toronto, when look you around there's bound to be a catch in your throat, a bottomless feeling in your stomach and the thought "I couldn't have done better than this?".
I thought you answered your own question about this a while back? Wasn't the answer no - given your accent's ability to sell software?
Old May 7th 2009, 5:18 pm
Banned

Theres a few americans I'd like to have a 'little' english in them.

sorry I'll get my coat
Old May 7th 2009, 5:19 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Find me a quebecoise that doesn't have a whiff of Mick (or Taff).
Old May 7th 2009, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Or who doesn't want one?
Old May 7th 2009, 5:20 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Other than First Nations, Inuit and Metis, aren't all Canadians immigrants?
Old May 7th 2009, 5:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Find me a quebecoise that doesn't have a whiff of Mick (or Taff).
I thought there was a lot of Macs as well
Old May 7th 2009, 5:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Other than First Nations, Inuit and Metis, aren't all Canadians immigrants?
Even they are at least Half immigrant anyway

any less than half european and they would claim FN status surely
Old May 7th 2009, 5:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by bodgerx
I thought you answered your own question about this a while back? Wasn't the answer no - given your accent's ability to sell software?
Financially I don't think I could have done better elsewhere, although having made and squandered a lot of money isn't perhaps much of an acheivement. However I sought to look beyond crass materialism; perhaps in inspirational surroundings I might have been a poet or in some other way improved the world.
Old May 7th 2009, 5:29 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Even they are at least Half immigrant anyway

any less than half european and they would claim FN status surely
There is no "blood count" on Metis status. It would be difficult to claim if the shagging was done generations ago, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.