Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto's pretty Ugly compared to London

Toronto's pretty Ugly compared to London

Old May 6th 2009, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of
Default Re: Toronto's pretty Ugly compared to London

Originally Posted by G77
Errrr, I think you'd guess you was in Detroit pretty quickly.....
I was watching an old episode of top gear on on bbc canada the other day, there was a film of Detroit. To be honest it didnt look a lot different to part of winnipeg. I rather suspect that detroits social issues a notch or two up on winnipeg though.

In fairness as stewart says most north american citys are not attractive places in the same way that european citys are.

I think North America may be quite nice once it's finished, they have only been at it for a couple of hundred years, Rome wasnt built in a day after all.
Old May 6th 2009, 9:11 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
I was watching an old episode of top gear on on bbc canada the other day, there was a film of Detroit. To be honest it didnt look a lot different to part of winnipeg. I rather suspect that detroits social issues a notch or two up on winnipeg though.
The very downtown core is fine - I was there last night in fact.... The very outer suburbs are fine too..... It's the immediate areas just outside of downtown that are a hellhole!
Old May 6th 2009, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

skyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really nice

Cant say I've ever been to scarborough, but isnt it near the sea!

I suppose there is an air of faded edwardian style about some of it

I'd say large parts of it look a bit like an industrial northern town in the 70's
I'm in scarborough for three nights with a bunch of guys for mi stag do in a cpl of weeks.........excellent place (if you like fish n chips)

http://www.discoveryorkshirecoast.co...elcome-new.asp
Old May 6th 2009, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by G77
The very downtown core is fine - I was there last night in fact.... The very outer suburbs are fine too..... It's the immediate areas just outside of downtown that are a hellhole!
sounds better than winnipeg then!
Old May 6th 2009, 9:27 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

sounds better than winnipeg then!
Winnipeg is not all ugly, I think the Exchange District is distinctive, as are some of the older buildings downtown. Old Tuxedo, Wellington Crescent, Wolseley and River Heights are all attractive. The Assiniboine Park is excellent, as good as any City park in the World.

But the habit in North America is to tear down old buildings and replace them with ugly glass and concrete boxes.
Old May 6th 2009, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
Winnipeg is not all ugly, I think the Exchange District is distinctive, as are some of the older buildings downtown. Old Tuxedo, Wellington Crescent, Wolseley and River Heights are all attractive. The Assiniboine Park is excellent, as good as any City park in the World.

But the habit in North America is to tear down old buildings and replace them with ugly glass and concrete boxes.
I agree, I was driving through the park the other night and found myself comparing it to Richmond park (well a shrunken version)

Lots of the new buildings have merit to, city hall and the art gallery to name a couple.

but there are some horrid bits too. like there are in every city in the world. Almost all of Los angeles is grim, as is St Helens where I grew up!
Old May 7th 2009, 3:22 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from the Fens in East Anglia, not the most attractive part of the UK.

So the prairies are just fine for me.
Old May 7th 2009, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

skyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really nice

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
I'm from the Fens in East Anglia, not the most attractive part of the UK.

So the prairies are just fine for me.

You think that was bad? I'm near Leeds Bradford and Huddersfield......GET ME OUTA HEEEEEEEEEEEEERE!!
Old May 7th 2009, 11:00 am
has got PPR yay baby !!!!

deenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud of

aww now the old odeon is a nice looking bit of town , lol
Old May 7th 2009, 11:19 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Another pointless comparison thread. Why would anyone expect (or want to) compare Toronto to London in this way? The differences are so huge that any comparison is surely meaningless and pointless. I actually don't think Toronto is ugly - I like the modern buildings, the wide streets, the CN tower etc etc. Historical, no - though some areas have some of this, but that should be no surprise to anyone. If it matters to the OP that much then stay in London, easy

As for a choice between Calgary and Toronto, I wouldn't live in Calgary at any price but know that my reasons for this are personal ones and to do with what I want from where I live, but luckily we are all different
Old May 7th 2009, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

KS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really nice

Cant say I've ever been to scarborough, but isnt it near the sea!

I suppose there is an air of faded edwardian style about some of it

I'd say large parts of it look a bit like an industrial northern town in the 70's

I can't quite put my finger on exactly what it was but when I visited Winnipeg it reminded me of Leeds.
Old May 7th 2009, 11:25 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Another pointless comparison thread. Why would anyone expect (or want to) compare Toronto to London in this way? The differences are so huge that any comparison is surely meaningless and pointless.
But it's inevitable, if you've once seen London and you subsequently wake up in Toronto, when look you around there's bound to be a catch in your throat, a bottomless feeling in your stomach and the thought "I couldn't have done better than this?".
Old May 7th 2009, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skyturner
You think that was bad? I'm near Leeds Bradford and Huddersfield......GET ME OUTA HEEEEEEEEEEEEERE!!
I spent week in huddersfield recently, I was really impressed with the place it has some lovely buildings and the folks were just as friendly as canadians.
Old May 7th 2009, 12:47 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
But it's inevitable, if you've once seen London and you subsequently wake up in Toronto, when look you around there's bound to be a catch in your throat, a bottomless feeling in your stomach and the thought "I couldn't have done better than this?".
That's usually the thought I have when I wake up after 10 pints and the ugliest loosest moose from the pub is next to me or not next to me!!!
Old May 7th 2009, 12:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
That's usually the thought I have when I wake up after 10 pints and the ugliest loosest moose from the pub is next to me or not next to me!!!
Those of us who lead lives of quiet respectibility have no idea what you're on about.

I only wish I could recall the definition of double coyote ugly; what does one chew off after one's own arm?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.