Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto's pretty Ugly compared to London

Toronto's pretty Ugly compared to London

Old May 15th 2009, 3:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto's pretty Ugly compared to London

Originally Posted by bodgerx
You could say that, but if only 10% move, you could hardly say 90% or (even 45% if the BC theory holds) would accept penury, if it was actually that bad.
What would they do instead? If you're cold, hungry and poor in Canada you're not likely to be accepted as an immigrant to the Bahamas, you just have to shuffle back and forth to the foodbank in your slippers.
Old May 15th 2009, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
What would they do instead? If you're cold, hungry and poor in Canada you're not likely to be accepted as an immigrant to the Bahamas, you just have to shuffle back and forth to the foodbank in your slippers.

Yes, but how many are actually cold, hungry and poor and retired? Quite a lot maybe, but, not the majority of the 90% who don't head elsewhere I would be willing to bet.

Members of this site, whom I would have thought most bring some kind of trade/profession/education with them on immigration, are probably less likely to find themselves in the hungry and poor category on retirement.
Old May 15th 2009, 5:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but how many are actually cold, hungry and poor and retired? Quite a lot maybe, but, not the majority of the 90% who don't head elsewhere I would be willing to bet.
Not sure how to measure that. I know there are people who have children in Canada and who think it worth staying to be near them, otherwise though it's hard to see why they'd stay.

Members of this site, whom I would have thought most bring some kind of trade/profession/education with them on immigration, are probably less likely to find themselves in the hungry and poor category on retirement.
One would like to think so but it depends on their age at emigration, the portability of their UK retirement plan and how lucky they are in investing in Canada; much of the money lost in the recent downturn was retirement savings.
Old May 15th 2009, 8:14 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Not sure how to measure that. I know there are people who have children in Canada and who think it worth staying to be near them, otherwise though it's hard to see why they'd stay.
I suppose it might seem as if I should fall in this category, but given my propensity for switching countries at a staggering rate, I'm not risking it that I haven't passed this gene on to the nippers.

Simply put. I'm outta here and bugger the kids.
Old May 15th 2009, 10:17 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maria_747
Hi James,

If you need any more details/address etc about the Medical Centre at Thornton Heath, just let me know, I will send it to you.

Are you still thinking of going to Vancouver ? I initially looked into that city and it sounds good but I was told there are not alot of job opportunities there compared with Toronto or Montreal

P.S
Everyone,
I went to Westfield shopping centre, its amazing, its soooo big, very Feng shui, I felt so relaxed there. Mind you, you need to walk alot. I only saw 1/3 of the place
I am thinking of Vanouver/ Whistler for Jan/Feb/March 2010 whilst the Olympics is on. Then if the job market does not break my way I will head back to Toronto. It would be nice to try Van for a while.

There is alot of places I have not yet seen or been. I am sure Alberta would be pretty cool too.

I'll personal message you when I need details of Thornton Heath.
Old May 16th 2009, 12:44 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi James,

If you need any more details/address etc about the Medical Centre at Thornton Heath, just let me know, I will send it to you.

Are you still thinking of going to Vancouver ? I initially looked into that city and it sounds good but I was told there are not alot of job opportunities there compared with Toronto or Montreal

P.S
Everyone,
I went to Westfield shopping centre, its amazing, its soooo big, very Feng shui, I felt so relaxed there. Mind you, you need to walk alot. I only saw 1/3 of the place
Stop the press!!!! I now need those details!!!
Old May 18th 2009, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the info everyone.

I am just exploring the possibilities ahead of my time. I heard about 'the snowbirds'. West coast sounds good.

When I am dreaming, I pretend that I am living every alternate month in Toronto and London but I do at least 2 months of the year in Vancouver
Old May 19th 2009, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

James
I have pm the details

Good Luck !
Old May 19th 2009, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

One more question, sorry

Does anyone know if Toronto subway system is going to be expanded further ? Does the subway run all night like NYC ?
Old May 19th 2009, 5:25 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

One more question, sorry

Does anyone know if Toronto subway system is going to be expanded further ? Does the subway run all night like NYC ?
Hi Maria.

The Subway in Toronto stops late on like in London, but the taxi's are cheaper.

I think they are expanding the subway to the airport but I may be wrong- someone else will no doubt correct me if I am.