Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Torontonians suggestions plz

Torontonians suggestions plz

Old Mar 10th 2016, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Torontonians suggestions plz

Originally Posted by Oink
Take a drive through Yorkville to see the hippies and beatniks.
1969 called....they want Oink back.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 10:57 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
as a first time visitor to any city, suggest the hop on-hop off bus

Its pricey, yet you get to see what you want to go back to.

Toronto Tour - Hop on Hop Off
It's horrible, we hopped on and hopped off pretty soon. The lower windows wer covered in adverts and muck so we couldn't see out. The fumes from the engine made us feel ill and the door was propped open with a bungy.

PS and we thought the Science museum was rubbish

The ROM and the AGO are excellent so head there.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I wouldn't bother with the CN Tower, the glass floor is neat but there really isn't anything to see out of the windows. Toronto's an ugly place made livable by the immigrant masses so I'd go and boggle at the natives; Kensington Market, Cabbagetown, Chinatown, Koreatown, Greektown (as mentioned above) and eat strange things. I might also take the ferry to the island and wander around though it's too early in the year for the attractions.

Agree.

Also, take a tram or two, as a visitor to TTO, I love 'em. I like the ROM too.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 3:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Agree.

Also, take a tram or two, as a visitor to TTO, I love 'em. I like the ROM too.
The greenhouse in Allan Gardens is a place that summarises Toronto. It's a neat building but not as stylish as the ones in Kew Gardens. It's in a park surrounded by apartments that are quite expensive, not Central Park expensive but quite expensive. There are a good number of homeless people drinking and shooting up around the building but they're not threatening like the ones in Chicago or Detroit. There's a lot of prostitution in and around the park but it's not desperately sleazy like King's Cross. It's a nice spot, urban but not edgy, not the most of anything but a bit of everything.

And, from there you can walk to the necropolis and the original Toronto zoo, now called Riverdale Farm.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for the tips - should be enough here to keep us occupied.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

- Toronto Islands (great walk and views on a clear day)
- Toronto Zoo (for the 5 year old)
- Day trip to Niagara Falls and Niagara-on-the-Lake
- CN Tower has to be done at least once especially on a clear day (EdgeWalk if you're the adventurous type!)
- Black Creek Pioneer Village (open March 14-20)
- Riverdale Farm (I took my kids here many times when they were young and they loved it.)

Last edited by MarylandNed; Mar 11th 2016 at 11:28 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 11:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
- Toronto Islands (great walk and views on a clear day)
- Toronto Zoo (for the 5 year old)
- Day trip to Niagara Falls and Niagara-on-the-Lake
- CN Tower has to be done at least once especially on a clear day (EdgeWalk if you're the adventurous type!)
- Riverdale Farm (I took my kids here many times when they were young and they loved it.)
I think the CN Tower Edge Walk is closed for the winter. My hubby would love to try it but I'm too scared.

For a little more than the cost of the tower tickets...you can book a fixed priced menu meal at the 360 Restaurant. A good time to book the meal for is about a hour before it goes dark...that way you get daytime and nightime views of the city.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 12:02 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think the CN Tower Edge Walk is closed for the winter. My hubby would love to try it but I'm too scared.

For a little more than the cost of the tower tickets...you can book a fixed priced menu meal at the 360 Restaurant. A good time to book the meal for is about a hour before it goes dark...that way you get daytime and nightime views of the city.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 1:21 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked at some pictures of that. Would probably be better if those red overall things were brown.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 1:52 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
A little knowledge that might make that more interesting is that the man in the leather work shop, nominally making "authentic horse harnesses in the manner of times gone by", is actually making leather goods for the fetish market. His works are for sale at the He and She boutique.

See if you can spot where the fetlocks fit in his harnesses.

Last edited by dbd33; Mar 12th 2016 at 1:54 am.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 2:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I just looked at some pictures of that. Would probably be better if those red overall things were brown.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 2:21 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

And the youtube videos.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 2:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by BristolUK
And the youtube videos.
I can see where I live!!
Old Mar 12th 2016, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Take a drive through Yorkville to see the hippies and beatniks.
You obviously haven't been to Yorkville for many a year, if ever.

Last edited by plasticcanuck; Mar 12th 2016 at 3:48 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 3:52 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
You obviously haven't been to Yorkville for many a year, if ever.
Its what the girlfriend's Gramaah said about the place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.