Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto or Winnipeg?

Toronto or Winnipeg?

Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice
Default Re: Toronto or Winnipeg?

Good job those who are thinking of moving to Canada are not too poor then!

God if we went by every sats results going we'll never move, oh boy!

Wrap-up and you'll be just fine.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert_masters
Good job those who are thinking of moving to Canada are not too poor then!
Not to start with, anyway...

You keep wrapping up warm, and we will see how you feel once you actually get here and experience it
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

To the OP - have you visited both or either?? The choice is a very personal one and as already mentioned weighing up job opportunities and the sort of lifestyle you are used to or are wanting will be the real deciding factors.

Realistically what does Toronto offer on a day to day basis that Winnipeg does not??

If you dont like the cold that much is Canada really the place to be ????

Personally I would pick Winnipeg every time - the people are a big part of that, they are amongst the best I have met anywhere as opposed to the we are the center of the universe in the GT outta my way.

Look at the Knob Toronto elected to be the Mayor - you wonder why people are freezing to death in the streets when this A*** hole campaigned against a homeless shelter in his area when he was a councilor. The sort of right wing fox news-esque tripe he spouts turns my stomach.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The homeless have been freezing to death in Toronto since long before Rob Ford was elected.

Politicians come and go. Hell, the whole of Canada elected Harper, three time now! That doesnt necessarily make it a bad place to live.

But, yes, making a choice without visiting is a bit of a lottery.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 11th 2012 at 2:24 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
Look at the Knob Toronto elected to be the Mayor - you wonder why people are freezing to death in the streets when this A*** hole campaigned against a homeless shelter in his area when he was a councilor. The sort of right wing fox news-esque tripe he spouts turns my stomach.
Maybe the electorate in Toronto are knobs; this is how democracy works
Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

"Maybe the electorate in Toronto are knobs; this is how democracy works"

iaink - of course and now that he is the mayor he is in the hot seat and perhaps could improve Toronto by helping the homeless instead of chopping the services to the most in need.

Please dont get me started on Harper - its my day off!!!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
Not to start with, anyway...

You keep wrapping up warm, and we will see how you feel once you actually get here and experience it

Hi

OK LOL! What a kill joy, was hoping, eventually to be slightly better off in Canada

I've already been in winter, ok albeit brief. I did mention about the winters while there, but most just say you'll get kinda used to it and wrap up. I just know I'll freeze whatever the minus figure will be, whilst the wind chill will take my my breath away! Like I said it'lll be a quick dart from car to house, school or shops maybe! Oh and a hotwater bottle down my trousers.

Trust me I'm not naive!

Angela

Last edited by robert_masters; Jan 11th 2012 at 5:28 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Alex2201
To the OP - have you visited both or either?? The choice is a very personal one and as already mentioned weighing up job opportunities and the sort of lifestyle you are used to or are wanting will be the real deciding factors.

Realistically what does Toronto offer on a day to day basis that Winnipeg does not??

If you dont like the cold that much is Canada really the place to be ????

Personally I would pick Winnipeg every time - the people are a big part of that, they are amongst the best I have met anywhere as opposed to the we are the center of the universe in the GT outta my way.

Yes I have been to both, winnipeg once, toronto twice. In toronto I have family (dont know them all that well so wouldnt move there just because of that) From what I have researched so far. Toronto has a bigger population with possibly more jobs, more choice of everything. Winnipeg is kinda coming second but what I've heard its just a good just smaller choice and colder.

I am not bothered with the cold. I've been to Canada in summer and winter so I have an idea.

We are just looking for a nice place to bring up our children. They are too young to be interested in alot of sports yet tho they do go swimming and play junior rugby and karate. Which I think we could get them into in either place in Canada. A nice safe area with a decent house and a community spirit. gaaaaaaaaaaaah maybe i should just flip a coin!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 8:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by irish_eyes
Yes I have been to both, winnipeg once, toronto twice. In toronto I have family (dont know them all that well so wouldnt move there just because of that) From what I have researched so far. Toronto has a bigger population with possibly more jobs, more choice of everything. Winnipeg is kinda coming second but what I've heard its just a good just smaller choice and colder.

I am not bothered with the cold. I've been to Canada in summer and winter so I have an idea.

We are just looking for a nice place to bring up our children. They are too young to be interested in alot of sports yet tho they do go swimming and play junior rugby and karate. Which I think we could get them into in either place in Canada. A nice safe area with a decent house and a community spirit. gaaaaaaaaaaaah maybe i should just flip a coin!
What was it you do for a living? Does it limit you to just those two, because from what you day any number of smaller towns would meet your needs.

However, dont underestimate how hard it can be to raise small kids here without family or close friends you can call on at a moments notice to watch them should something come up that needs your undivided attention. To be honest its the hardest thing here for us, sure there are sitters and that, but family and friends you really can call on and trust to be there for you at a moments notice dont grow on trees. That family in Toronto may be worth considering as a factor.

Going to be a short rugby season in Winnepeg I suspect.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink
What was it you do for a living? Does it limit you to just those two, because from what you day any number of smaller towns would meet your needs.

However, dont underestimate how hard it can be to raise small kids here without family or close friends you can call on at a moments notice to watch them should something come up that needs your undivided attention. To be honest its the hardest thing here for us, sure there are sitters and that, but family and friends you really can call on and trust to be there for you at a moments notice dont grow on trees. That family in Toronto may be worth considering as a factor.

Going to be a short rugby season in Winnepeg I suspect.
OH is an electrician so no we are no limited to those two but I have narrowed down that work seems to be there but hard to know as to if it will by when we are ready to go. I am in my 4th year living away from home now in nz and also have one extra kid since leaving. I totally agree its very hard with small kids. We moved here thinking it would be great to have family (OH is a kiwi) close to help and we are still waiting for the grandparents to take them for an icecream or trip to the playground. They usually visit when the kids are in bed and only live 10 mins away. But hey dont get me started on how useless they are............. thats a whole different thread.

Whilst it would be great to have MY family to call on, I wouldnt totally be depending on it after our time here. To me, friends have been the family I picked for myself. We still have plenty of time to pick where is best but I guess we will never fully know until we are there.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 10:05 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

We still have plenty of time to pick where is best but I guess we will never fully know until we are there.
It's really quite simple. Find a job, then go wherever that is.

It's not clear whether or not you plan to arrive before or after the sponsorship process is done. I'd recommend after since otherwise (as I understand it) your husband couldn't work anyway in the meantime.

HTH
Old Jan 11th 2012, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
It's really quite simple. Find a job, then go wherever that is.

It's not clear whether or not you plan to arrive before or after the sponsorship process is done. I'd recommend after since otherwise (as I understand it) your husband couldn't work anyway in the meantime.

HTH
Yep, agreed, job is the most important (after all the paperwork)

2 of my kids are entitled to citizenship but my youngest and OH need to be sponsored so once all the paperwork is done then it will be find a job and just go.

I intend to work tho (medical sec) but want us to be in the best possible position and all above board. It seems that citizenship takes far less time to obtain. We cant do any of it in the embassy either (all sent to ozzie then Canada)
Old Jan 11th 2012, 10:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, agreed, job is the most important (after all the paperwork)

2 of my kids are entitled to citizenship but my youngest and OH need to be sponsored so once all the paperwork is done then it will be find a job and just go.

I intend to work tho (medical sec) but want us to be in the best possible position and all above board. It seems that citizenship takes far less time to obtain. We cant do any of it in the embassy either (all sent to ozzie then Canada)
Fair enough then. The other thing I'd recommend is (unless one or both of you finds a job the family can live on before then), rent somewhere you'd like to live and then search nationwide for employment (that the family can afford to live on) and only then move to your final (?) destination and start putting down roots.

Good luck.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Fair enough then. The other thing I'd recommend is (unless one or both of you finds a job the family can live on before then), rent somewhere you'd like to live and then search nationwide for employment (that the family can afford to live on) and only then move to your final (?) destination and start putting down roots.

Good luck.
Haha (?) final - who knows but I really do hope its our final destination. Thanks