Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto or Winnipeg?

Toronto or Winnipeg?

Old Jan 10th 2012, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Toronto or Winnipeg?

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
You may want to read over this from a Winnipeg perspective
http://www.immigratemanitoba.com/

Currently Manitoba is seeing a very high percentage of new Immigrants as the economy is not stagnant and a very high percentage of newcomers are employed full time within 3 months of arriving.
Thanks for this, very helpful
Old Jan 10th 2012, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Out of interest, why Winnipeg?

It really will depend on what you're after, Toronto is not my idea of fun but then I hate cities so the industrial sprawl of it doesn't really work for me. But Winnipeg is an unusual choice, so I'm assuming there's a job there or a specific reason for putting it on the short list?

If you can clarify what you're after, then hopefully those that live in Winnipeg or Toronto can help you and let you know if they sound as if they'd suit.

Well, to be honest, I have made contact with some Irish people there and from what they have told me it seems to be what we are looking for in terms of family and work. Obviously it would be great to have some friends there too which is another bonus. I moved here to nz with no friends and it was hard going but not the end of the world and by no means not a good enough reason to move anywhere. Picking somewhere that has some of what we have here in nz is another reason. It seems similar in some ways yet totally different in others. But I read some bad reviews on here then I want to go to Toronto and visa versa.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 1:57 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scimdarren
Hi
...and please try and ignore snooty comments from people that knock another location having never lived there.

Darren
You don't have to live in a location to know it’s got a bad reputation, both from a weather perspective, and crime perspective …. But having visited I do know its not got enough for me to ever warrant taking the risk of finding out more..

To be honest having the status of the coldest city in the world with population over 600K, chronically prone to major flooding every spring, and almost always in the top 4 crime cities in Canada with a crime rate on average double that of Toronto… It isn’t going to be a plus.. add in that it’s a pretty mundane city with not much more than any other city in Canada on offer, that puts it in my book one step above Edmonton.

As I have visited every major city in Canada excluding Victoria, Halifax and Yellow knife, I think I can make a fair judgment without living there

Last edited by MikeUK; Jan 10th 2012 at 3:37 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 2:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
As I have visited every major city in Canada excluding Victoria, Halifax and Yellow knife, I think I can make a fair judgment without living there
You were in Belleville and didnt look me up for a Coffee?
Old Jan 10th 2012, 2:19 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irish_eyes
Well, to be honest, I have made contact with some Irish people there and from what they have told me it seems to be what we are looking for in terms of family and work. Obviously it would be great to have some friends there too which is another bonus. I moved here to nz with no friends and it was hard going but not the end of the world and by no means not a good enough reason to move anywhere. Picking somewhere that has some of what we have here in nz is another reason. It seems similar in some ways yet totally different in others. But I read some bad reviews on here then I want to go to Toronto and visa versa.
It's a bit of cliche, but you should consider Newfoundland if you want to amongst Irish, half-Irish, and once-drunk-in-an-Irish-pub people.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 3:36 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
You were in Belleville and didnt look me up for a Coffee?
I said major city....

However when I do pass through it's either on the way to or from my sister in law in ottawa...I'm not in my best mood !!
Old Jan 10th 2012, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

What is the work? Go where you can get a job, a job in either place will make life a lot more pleasant from both a social and financial viewpoint.
Yes, I think this is an extremely important factor. Not being able to find suitable work (or not being able to earn enough to finance a reasonable lifestyle) is going to make life miserable pretty quickly.

But, given a straight choice, I think Toronto has more to offer, but with a higher cost of admission. Winepeg is pretty remote and as a seasoned canadian resident I would think twice about dealing with the winter out there, never mind coming straight off the plane into it. Not to mention the bugs in the summer.
Totally agree.

Personally though I would say the best of Canadian family living is to be found in the many small towns whose names wont mean anything to you.
I think this is true. There are many smaller cities/towns that are ranked highly in terms of family living.

One major city is a lot like another in terms of lifestyle I suspect.
That really depends on the individual and their lifestyle. Some people who have fairly generic lifestyles might think living in Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal is similar. However, others could see huge differences. For example, anyone who is interested in an outdoor lifestyle or wants to be surrounded by natural beauty including the ocean is definitely going to put Vancouver top of the list. Someone who is interested in French language/culture or who wants to become bilingual is going to prefer Montreal. Anyone looking for world class entertainment or business opportunites is probably going to prefer Toronto.

So in terms of choosing Toronto over Winnipeg, it really depends on the OP's lifestyle preferences. Earning enough in Winnipeg isn't going to help much if the OP is hoping for the same opportunities that exist in Toronto.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 4:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed

That really depends on the individual and their lifestyle.
Thats true of choosing a small town too though...

Some people who have fairly generic lifestyles might think living in Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal is similar. However, others could see huge differences. For example, anyone who is interested in an outdoor lifestyle or wants to be surrounded by natural beauty including the ocean is definitely going to put Vancouver top of the list. Someone who is interested in French language/culture or who wants to become bilingual is going to prefer Montreal. Anyone looking for world class entertainment or business opportunites is probably going to prefer Toronto.

So in terms of choosing Toronto over Winnipeg, it really depends on the OP's lifestyle preferences. Earning enough in Winnipeg isn't going to help much if the OP is hoping for the same opportunities that exist in Toronto.
My point was just that in virtually any large city you will end up sitting in traffic and bitching about the usual downsides of living somewhere with a relatively high population density... higher property costs, more overcrowding and antisocial behaviour etc etc. Traffic and some of the social issues are less of an issue in smaller communities near the same large cities that offer whatever entertainment benefits you occasionally seek.

My guess is that if you are the sort that say wants to go to the Opera (or whatever) several times a month then living nearby makes sense, if its just a one or twice a year thing then maybe making a trip of it from outside the city is a reasonable alternative.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Originally Posted by manitobain
@ Lychee:
ok.. I try not to get too involved when it comes to Winnipeg.. as I don't like cities in generally that much... BUT 1000 of miles flat???? where have you been? You drive 3 hrs and you are in the Riding Mountain National Park and area..which definetely isnt flat..if you can do 1000 miles that fast...hats off .

Thats what happened if ppl only drive down Highway 1... and think thats all there is to it!

Winnipeg is booming, hate to tell you this ...

If I had to pick and chose if Wpg or Toronto, clearly Wpg it would be! (if only because it has a more decent size than monster Toronto)

Wpg might be also looked as an option because of the way of immigrating? PNP?

Hi

Yes same as you we would def pick Winnipeg over Toronto.

There are some lovely areas on the outskirts of Winnipeg, a good drive around should give you a good picture.

The only part I like around near Toronto was Niagara and Niagara-on-the-lakes, very pretty, quaint areas. For work it would not work out for us, the wages are far too low! Our personal choice would be either Manitoba or Alberta, we have our reasons on each. End of day Canada get very cold, so suck it up and deal with it, dress for it!

As for Manitoba, yes it's flat. The only worries I have of Winnipeg is the flooding. I know they have put some preventions inplace as far as the Red River goes but I still know there are risks with rivers such as the River Seine and River Assiniboine. But again I don't live there and can't quote too much.

Hope this helps

Angela
Old Jan 10th 2012, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Winnipeg is a great family friendly city, it is large enough to have some decent facilities but not so big that it is too daunting.

There are some nice suburbs, and some not so nice. You just need to be selective.

Lots of folks who havent lived there bang on about how awful the weather is, but in all honesty when properly attired there is no problem (although if it was a month shorter it would be perfect). Mozzies are an issue sometimes, but there wasnt any this year.

On balance I would prefer to live in Winnipeg than Toronto
Old Jan 10th 2012, 6:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

This isnt taking the piss honestly, Im just curious...

If you wanted to ski, (downhill), where would you go from Winnipeg? Toronto has a few moderate hills within an hour or twos drive, and the laurentians and upstate NY/ Vermont etc a half days drive away for more challenging hills, The Rockies are closer to Manitoba, but they are still a fair trek arent they? What else is there nearer?

Im just thinking about the winter, Obviously the Ontario winter doesnt phase me, but I need to get out and do stuff to stay sane and for me thats skiing mostly now. I guess, conservatively perhaps, that winter "out west" is on average maybe 5-10°C Cooler on the worst days (-40°C compared to -30?, in fact few days below -20 where I am, and Im OK with being out in -20, just not much below that.) and maybe a month to 6 weeks longer, that's a serious difference, whether one has appropriate clothing or not.

Im not suggesting its insurmountable, but its worth taking into consideration for anyone, new to Canada or not.

Anyway, I digress. Skiing in Manitoba? Not that Ive much desire to live in either Toronto or Winnipeg. Or Calgary or Halifax either for that matter.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 10th 2012 at 6:45 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

This isnt taking the piss honestly, Im just curious...

If you wanted to ski, (downhill), where would you go from Winnipeg? Toronto has a few moderate hills within an hour or twos drive, and the laurentians and upstate NY/ Vermont etc a half days drive away for more challenging hills, The Rockies are closer to Manitoba, but they are still a fair trek arent they? What else is there nearer?

Im just thinking about the winter, Obviously the Ontario winter doesnt phase me, but I need to get out and do stuff to stay sane and for me thats skiing mostly now. I guess, conservatively perhaps, that winter "out west" is on average maybe 5-10°C Cooler on the worst days (-40°C compared to -30?, in fact few days below -20 where I am, and Im OK with being out in -20, just not much below that.) and maybe a month to 6 weeks longer, that's a serious difference, whether one has appropriate clothing or not.

Im not suggesting its insurmountable, but its worth taking into consideration for anyone, new to Canada or not.

Anyway, I digress. Skiing in Manitoba? Not that Ive much desire to live in either Toronto or Winnipeg. Or Calgary or Halifax either for that matter.
Holiday mountain is about an hour and half out of the city, its not the rockies , but it's a nice little hill. and pretty reasonable. Alternatively fly to calgary,

With regards winter, I walked 30 minutes to work pretty much every day in the winter - I like being out in the glorious sunshine that bathes winnipeg most of the winter (when its too cold to snow)
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Hi

I wouldn't worry too much about the skiing! Most don't bother, even those that live close to the slopes! You know what I've skied at Lake Louise - Banff and skied on much smaller mountains in Europe. The best ski memories were on smaller mountains! Would love to do Snowboarding next!

As far as the winters go, cold is cold no matter if it's -10, -20, -30 it's bloody cold, especially with wind chill on top! Unless I'm skiing or something that moves my body fast, I will be darting from house to car pretty quickly!

Angela
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:11 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
Holiday mountain is about an hour and half out of the city, its not the rockies , but it's a nice little hill. and pretty reasonable. Alternatively fly to calgary,

With regards winter, I walked 30 minutes to work pretty much every day in the winter - I like being out in the glorious sunshine that bathes winnipeg most of the winter (when its too cold to snow)
Good to know. Ontario is bathed in winter sunshine too, more or less. I just cant imagine choosing -30 over -20, all other things being equal, which of course they never really are.

TBH we could use some more good honest winter weather this year, the way things have been here so far.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by robert_masters
Hi

I wouldn't worry too much about the skiing! Most don't bother, even those that live close to the slopes! You know what I've skied at Lake Louise - Banff and skied on much smaller mountains in Europe. The best ski memories were on smaller mountains! Would love to do Snowboarding next!

As far as the winters go, cold is cold no matter if it's -10, -20, -30 it's bloody cold, especially with wind chill on top! Unless I'm skiing or something that moves my body fast, I will be darting from house to car pretty quickly!

Angela
Thats where I guess we have to agree to disagree. I'm perfectly OK out doing things when its -20. Much colder than that and I just start to sieze up and its no fun no matter what I do and what Im wearing

I doubt there is a smaller hill in North America than the one I have a season pass for, but its still great fun for me and the kids, and makes winter something to look forward to, rather than endure. YMMV of course

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.