British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Toronto vs Calgary on IEC (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/toronto-vs-calgary-iec-822551/)

CRAY Jan 22nd 2014 3:21 pm

Toronto vs Calgary on IEC

From what I'v seen this question starts some pretty heated debates but I need to decide between the 2 and so far I'm 50/50. I know its an apples vs pears kind of debate but input will still be useful.

Bear in mind this evaluation is from the perspective of a 24 Y.O singleton on the IEC.

So far the impression I got has been.
  • Toronto has a better/ busier nightlife
  • Its about 4-5 hours less on a flight from the UK
  • More of an international community vibe for travellers
  • Slightly better weather (milder winters/ warmer, longer summers)
  • Close (relative) distance to Ottawa and Montreal for potential visits.
  • Cost of living a little cheaper than Calg (excluding. buying a house)
  • Very urban for miles round. (little chance to experience Canadian Wildlife)
  • Have some family and friends near TO

• Calgary (or places close to) has a much better outdoor scene.
  • Skiing, Hiking, kayaking, fishing, hockey etc (things I enjoy)
  • Nightlife is reportedly not as good and more spread out than TO :thumbdown:
  • Winters longer and harsher
  • ....but more things to do outdoors to enjoy that winter.
  • More days of sunshine than anywhere else in Canada (or so I'v heard)
  • Offers new adventure as I'v already been to TO twice.
  • I like Cowboy stuff lol.

Those are just things I'v either researched or remember from when I visited TO so please feel free to correct and add. I'm thinking transport, renting costs, lifestyle etc. I'm sure other people are considering similar things so it will be useful

dbd33 Jan 22nd 2014 3:24 pm

Re: Toronto vs Calgary on IEC

Toronto is closer to major US cities. You could, for example, go to NYC for the weekend.

christmasoompa Jan 22nd 2014 3:34 pm

Toronto isn't 4-5 hours less on a flight from the UK - perhaps 2 hours less.

HTH.

CRAY Jan 22nd 2014 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11091434)
Toronto isn't 4-5 hours less on a flight from the UK - perhaps 2 hours less.

HTH.

I did not know this! I just judged it to be honest looking at a globe. Alberta looks almost double the distance from UK to CAN across the Atlantic, I guess my eyes were fooling me, or maybe I'm just not clued up enough on the rules of aviation. :)

Lychee Jan 22nd 2014 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by CRAY (Post 11091509)
I did not know this! I just judged it to be honest looking at a globe. Alberta looks almost double the distance from UK to CAN across the Atlantic, I guess my eyes were fooling me, or maybe I'm just not clued up enough on the rules of aviation. :)

The secret it to look at a globe, not a map (which you're doing)... but look at the shortest distance. When flying to Alberta, the flights go over the Arctic - you don't end up flying over the Atlantic at all. :) This is why it's never a good idea to "break up the flight" from the UK to western Canada by stopping in somewhere like Toronto or Montreal, as it actually adds 4-5 more hours to your flying time than had you just flown direct!

rwin Jan 22nd 2014 4:59 pm

The cowboy stuff is only 10 days a year (fortunately) and is all fake anyway.

rwin Jan 22nd 2014 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11091414)
Toronto is closer to major US cities. You could, for example, go to NYC for the weekend.

We could go to Great Falls or Butte. How different could that be?

dbd33 Jan 22nd 2014 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by rwin (Post 11091558)
We could go to Great Falls or Butte. How different could that be?

Fair enough, they're very similar to New York City but we can also go to Detroit. You got nothing like Detroit.

orly Jan 22nd 2014 5:47 pm

Based on the lists provided it would seem Toronto is more favourable.

rwin Jan 22nd 2014 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11091600)
Fair enough, they're very similar to New York City but we can also go to Detroit. You got nothing like Detroit.

That's definitely a plus.

orly Jan 22nd 2014 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by rwin (Post 11091649)
That's definitely a plus.

Detroit looks quite nice from Windsor. Maybe the entire view is like those fake facades in London that block out railway/underground tracks.

CRAY Jan 22nd 2014 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Lychee (Post 11091527)
The secret it to look at a globe, not a map (which you're doing)... but look at the shortest distance. When flying to Alberta, the flights go over the Arctic - you don't end up flying over the Atlantic at all. :) This is why it's never a good idea to "break up the flight" from the UK to western Canada by stopping in somewhere like Toronto or Montreal, as it actually adds 4-5 more hours to your flying time than had you just flown direct!

That makes sense, damn 2 dimensions!

And as far as I can tell not a lot of people are on Calgary's side! Where are the rest of the Calgarians to defend themselves haha! ;)

Chris2222 Jan 22nd 2014 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by orly (Post 11091641)
Based on the lists provided it would seem Toronto is more favourable.

This mate :thumbsup:

Almost Canadian Jan 22nd 2014 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by CRAY (Post 11091691)
That makes sense, damn 2 dimensions!

And as far as I can tell not a lot of people are on Calgary's side! Where are the rest of the Calgarians to defend themselves haha! ;)

They like it so don't feel the need to have to defend another's choice.

Each to their own and all that.

I would argue that Calgary's winter is not particularly harsh and, in the recent past, the weather has been far worse in Toronto than in Calgary, although that is very much of an anomaly.

Most people from Ontario that I have met (southern Ontario) have indicated to me that the winters are much easier to cope with in Calgary than they were back home. Having never spent a winter in any part of Ontario, I have no idea whether this is correct.

I anticipate that you will find it easier to obtain work in Calgary than in Toronto, based simply upon posts on this board.

JamesM Jan 22nd 2014 6:46 pm

Good work opportunities in the Ski and Snow resorts around Calgary and the opportunity to learn to Ski/Snowboard well over a 4 to 5 month stretch.

A lot of people on IEC spend their winter out west and then get over to Toronto for the summer. If you do this just make sure you get to Toronto in May as the seasonal summer jobs get filled quickly.

Not a bad strategy or way to spend your 12 months and experience different parts of Canada.