Reload this Page >

Toronto or Vancouver

Toronto or Vancouver

Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

Rodge9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Toronto or Vancouver

Originally Posted by dboy
besides you never meet many people that are vancouver born and raised..... I personally have never had too much trouble meeting here but i imagine that the muted social scene does not help. I can remember when there was very few places to go here and the laws around booze were a joke. It seemed that the norm was to buy a bottle and have parties at each others homes. I thinks this is why some view the place as cliquey which is not true at all, but inviting someone you hardly know to your home is less likely to happen on a social level
Interesting - when I was there earlier this year I played touch rugby with a guy born and raised in Vancouver, but as a result of working in the film industry had also lived in TO, Montreal, and London (England), as well as a couple of others I think. In having a conversation with him comparing those cities, I asked him which had the best nightlife in his opinion and he said Vancouver - somewhat surprising, based on what I knew about Vancouver and had heard about the other cities. Turns out that was based on his experience of house parties there - so when I remarked that the local population seemed somewhat difficult to get in with to the extent where they'd invite you to a party, he replied that "Oh yeah it's cliquey as hell, but once you're in it's awesome". Seems to correlate with your experience...

Thanks for the info regarding Vancouverisms btw - that does ring a bell now you mention it.

Incidentally I should add that when I was begining to have my wobbles about Vancouver I read a bunch of discussions on here, which while they didn't result in me sticking it out certainly provided the affirmation that I wasn't the only one and not losing the plot somehow
Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:19 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
The flipside of that is it's also more competitive, more people looking for the jobs, and more all about the business.
I'd still have that over lack of jobs. Dont get me on house prices!

Love Van and really would like to return, i feel like a westerner. I just want my next move to Canada a more successful one, ie, make some money not live month to month.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 12:59 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve1891
Hi, I have recently returned from my first ever trip to Canada and as expected I loved every minute of it! I flew from London Heathrow to Toronto before getting the via rail to Ottawa and then onto Montreal before heading home. By far my favourite city was Toronto.

When I was there a lot of people recommended Vancouver to me and although I wanted to go there I couldn't fit it into the trip because of the time I had and time it took to get there. I am now planning on moving to Canada for 6 months real soon and can't decide if I should stick with Toronto (which I know I like) or give Vancouver a go even though I have never been there!

Quite a few friends have visited and all of them prefer Vancouver of the two so my next question would be - are the rental prices for a 1 bedroom (possibly shared place) around the same figures for both cities? I don't claim to be an expert on Toronto but seeing the area I would have a rough idea of where I would like to stay if I chose there yet I have no clue about areas in Vancouver.

It's a big choice for me to make and I thought of no better place to get some tips than the expat forum I begin my research on Vancouver today and any advice will go a long way.

Thanks.
You should go and live in Calgary. Apparently it's really nice
Old Oct 12th 2010, 2:01 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Londonuck
I'd still have that over lack of jobs. Dont get me on house prices!

Love Van and really would like to return, i feel like a westerner. I just want my next move to Canada a more successful one, ie, make some money not live month to month.
house prices are the biggest negative about vancouver and have significantly impacted the livabilty of the place. Its one of the reasons that would cause us to move

As for the work front, the wages don't correlate with the cost of living. Wages are probably higher in Edmonton FFS!

Many people have ideas about where they would like to live, but the reality is work and housing are going to be huge deciding factors.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Rodge9
Interesting - when I was there earlier this year I played touch rugby with a guy born and raised in Vancouver, but as a result of working in the film industry had also lived in TO, Montreal, and London (England), as well as a couple of others I think. In having a conversation with him comparing those cities, I asked him which had the best nightlife in his opinion and he said Vancouver - somewhat surprising, based on what I knew about Vancouver and had heard about the other cities. Turns out that was based on his experience of house parties there - so when I remarked that the local population seemed somewhat difficult to get in with to the extent where they'd invite you to a party, he replied that "Oh yeah it's cliquey as hell, but once you're in it's awesome". Seems to correlate with your experience...

Thanks for the info regarding Vancouverisms btw - that does ring a bell now you mention it.

Incidentally I should add that when I was begining to have my wobbles about Vancouver I read a bunch of discussions on here, which while they didn't result in me sticking it out certainly provided the affirmation that I wasn't the only one and not losing the plot somehow
Hmmm, i'd put Vancouver last on that list. There is a rather odd underground scene here that a bunch of dedicated followers twitter about and set up in all sort of odd places, and have something of a cult following:

http://www.beyondrobson.com/nightlife/

Vancouver is odd and it takes a fair bit of time invested in the city to figure out how it works. Again, i think it sort of like prohibition and has resulted in a counter culture.

things are changing though and city hall is puhsing a review of live music venues and bylaws surrounding licences permises etc, designed to make it easier for the average Joe. At my age though, i don't really care anymore and cant even remember the last time i was out past midnight

What we need are the killer patios and rootop clubs like in TO
Old Oct 12th 2010, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

house prices are the biggest negative about vancouver and have significantly impacted the livabilty of the place. Its one of the reasons that would cause us to move

As for the work front, the wages don't correlate with the cost of living. Wages are probably higher in Edmonton FFS!

Many people have ideas about where they would like to live, but the reality is work and housing are going to be huge deciding factors.
Absolutely. Add kids into the mix and it becomes even more complicated e.g. education, recreational opportunities, healthcare, etc.

I remember a few years back when I was looking into moving to Vancouver from Toronto. The salaries for IT professionals were lower in Vancouver than they were in Toronto and I certainly didn't think the cost of living was lower in Vancouver - if anything it was probably higher.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Oct 12th 2010 at 2:32 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I was merely making the point that Vancouver is not a beautiful city in my opinion - rather it is a city in a beautiful setting (with ocean and mountains etc). Paris is a beautiful city in terms of its actual infrastructure and architecture - if you could lift it up and relocate it, it would still be a beautiful city. The same can't be said for Vancouver. There are many cities in the world that look like Vancouver in terms of infrastructure - they just happen to not be situated in such a naturally beautiful setting as Vancouver.

I'll admit it's been a while since I was last in Vancouver. I remember wandering the city looking for restaurants/bars/clubs and they were surprisingly hard to find in a city of that size. I remember seeing lots of gay couples (nothing against them-just an observation), lots of coffee shops (where are the bars?), lots of homeless people, and some dodgy areas in and around the downtown core. I understand that Vancouver's temperate climate attracts homeless people from colder parts of Canada. If I remember correctly, Vancouver also has one of the highest crime rates and one of the biggest drug problems amongst Canada's largest cities.

So, yes, beautiful setting but certainly not a city without some serious flaws. Of course, my interests are probably different since I was last there. There's a good chance that the fresh air, the park, the ocean, the mountain and the beach could provide all the entertainment I now seek- as long as I don't mind rain I guess. However, my lasting memory at this point is still one of how utterly ugly, boring and devoid of life the city itself was.
See my other posts about the nature of vancouver. I know what you mean about wandering and wondering. Other than the DTES i cant think of any dodgey areas. the downcore is not where the life is and has a dearth of bars. Even theatres etc tend to be away from the centre. I'm surprised that you were not able to find any restaurants, the foodie scene here is very well established.

Gastown, Yaletown, commercial drive are dominated by bars and restaurants

How long were you here for?

yes it can be a bit sleepy at times

As for crime, Vancouver does have a drug culture and organised crime are well established in the drug trade. this is not a concern for the average joe. As for crime in general, there are only about 10 - 12 murders a year in vancover proper and about 60 for the entire region

Violent crime is no worse that any other similar city, and teh gangs here are not entrenched in certain areas of the city as in TO where street gangs have a LA mentality (trust me on this Im a major crime cop and have had lots of work related trips to TO). Vancouver does not have street gangs, at least not in the typical north american sense

I have always found vancouver to be a very safe city and in 17 years here have never felt threatened.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 2:37 pm

Absolutely. Add kids into the mix and it becomes even more complicated e.g. education, recreational opportunities, healthcare, etc.

I remember a few years back when I was looking into moving to Vancouver from Toronto. The salaries for IT professionals were lower in Vancouver than they were in Toronto and I certainly didn't think the cost of living was lower in Vancouver - if anything it was probably higher.
yes i agree.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 2:48 pm

[QUOTE=MarylandNed;8912355]I was merely making the point that Vancouver is not a beautiful city in my opinion - rather it is a city in a beautiful setting (with ocean and mountains etc). Paris is a beautiful city in terms of its actual infrastructure and architecture - if you could lift it up and relocate it, it would still be a beautiful city. The same can't be said for Vancouver. There are many cities in the world that look like Vancouver in terms of infrastructure - they just happen to not be situated in such a naturally beautiful setting as Vancouver.

Most modern cities, esopecially in North America or Australia have a sameness about them, it's a function of what cities have become. Cities such as paris evolved over centries and were not dominated by the need for autos or office space. Vancouer is not much over 100 years old and when founded had 1500 inhabitants.

As for the beauty of vancouver, what it does do rather well is intergrate itself into its natural surroundings. Vancouver has a relationship with the ocean and mountains. From the seabus to the northshore, float planes landing in coal harbour, kayaking in falsecreek, cruise ships at Canada Place to tankers out in the strait.

the seawall is a massive enhancement of the connection of the city with its outdoorspaces and many vancouverites use it. Beaches skirt the edge of the city, stanley park is one of the largets urban parks in north america. To me that is the true beauty of the place and is as much about the city's identity is the effiel tower to paris.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 4:15 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I remember seeing lots of gay couples (nothing against them-just an observation), lots of coffee shops (where are the bars?), lots of homeless people, and some dodgy areas in and around the downtown core.
I guess you didn't mean it as it reads, but this is one of the most unpleasant sentences I've read on here for a long time.

However, my lasting memory at this point is still one of how utterly ugly, boring and devoid of life the city itself was.
Are you sure you weren't visiting Vancouver WA?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 4:43 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

hmm - Lots of gay couples - is that a problem? I see it as lots of people - in varying degrees of coupledom - giving the city a wide ranging vibe and sometimes some interesting questions to answer from the kids!
Old Oct 12th 2010, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I guess you didn't mean it as it reads, but this is one of the most unpleasant sentences I've read on here for a long time.

Are you sure you weren't visiting Vancouver WA?
Didn't mean to offend - some of my best friends are gay. Just reporting that one of my memories of Vancouver was the relatively large gay population I noticed in the downtown core.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 4:49 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't mean to offend - some of my best friends are gay. Just reporting that one of my memories of Vancouver was the relatively large gay population I noticed in the downtown core.
You were probably in Davie Village, Denman and Davie, near to English Bay .
Old Oct 12th 2010, 4:52 pm

were you here during the gay pride parade? i lived around the davie village (gay area) and it was a great place to live, very freindly. Most of Vancouer's gay haunts are very inclusive places and it's not uncommon to find all types in them.

I m really leaning to you have only spent a short amount of time here and have not really seen much of the place beyond downtown. Your comment about a lack of restuarants is what did it for me.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 4:53 pm
half a century

were you here during the gay pride parade? i lived around the davie village (gay area) and it was a great place to live, very freindly. Most of Vancouer's gay haunts are very inclusive places and it's not uncommon to find all types in them.
I like the pink bustop shelters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.