Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto Renting

Toronto Renting

Old Jun 11th 2013, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

emjaca85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Toronto Renting

We are coming over to Toronto end on June and staying in a hostel until we find something permanent.

Anyone have any advice as to wether agencies/landlords would be happy if we can put down say 6 months rent to secure a 2 bed apartment?

We are comming over with a fair amount of funds. We don't have Job offers as of yet and coming from living with parents so no past landlord references - what documentation should I take i.e character reference's /equifax report from the UK? Uk Bank statements? I'm aware the rental market is quite strict - not sure what we're supposed to do

Or is it just a case of finding someone who will take a risk on us? We are both in our late 20's my friend is an electriction hoping to find work and I am looking for website mangement/admin job.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated, sorry if this has been asked before search funtionalty on forum wasn't working
Old Jun 11th 2013, 4:43 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto Renting

Slightly off topic, but does your friend realise that Electrician is a regulated trade in Canada and as such it is unlikely that s/he will be able to work without getting licensed?

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...atedOccupation

Have a look at the wiki as there is more information in it about renting:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Renting-Canada

Old Jun 11th 2013, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by emjaca85
Anyone have any advice as to wether agencies/landlords would be happy if we can put down say 6 months rent to secure a 2 bed apartment?

I'm not entirely sure that a landlord can legally request that.

You should check out the Landlord and Tenant Board Pages: http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/Key_Info...02_111677.html
Old Jun 11th 2013, 5:51 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolstie
I'm not entirely sure that a landlord can legally request that.

You should check out the Landlord and Tenant Board Pages: http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/Key_Info...02_111677.html
They can't legally, however, with no job and no credit rating or references it is quite often the case that they will request it. I ended up having to pay 12 months in advance in order to secure an apartment when I first came to Canada.

I completely agree that the OP should read the Landlord and Tenant act/pages and they could also read the CMHC guide to renting in Ontario. http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/reh...h/fash_009.cfm

Old Jun 11th 2013, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by siouxie
Slightly off topic, but does your friend realise that Electrician is a regulated trade in Canada and as such it is unlikely that s/he will be able to work without getting licensed?

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...atedOccupation

Have a look at the wiki as there is more information in it about renting:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Renting-Canada

He was aware he had to re-train - is that not the same thing? I think he hoped to retrain on the job or some sort of course - he did make some calls. I shall pass this info and link on - thank you.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 9:05 pm
Banned

He was aware he had to re-train - is that not the same thing? I think he hoped to retrain on the job or some sort of course - he did make some calls. I shall pass this info and link on - thank you.
Depending on how many years experience he has - http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/...NDELEC_CM.html

You could also look at these:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...94&postcount=1
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Skilled_Trades-Canada

Old Jun 12th 2013, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

As for the renting we'll just have to go over and see what happens, and hope we are lucky!
Old Jun 12th 2013, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

laurenhannah is an unknown quantity at this point

My boyfriend had to pay 12 months upfront also.. you'll be hard pressed to find somewhere that its less than that unfortunately. Good luck!
Old Jun 12th 2013, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

sinbad23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, I did not have any issue renting when I first came. I put down first and last (normal) then paid my landlady the agreed rental amount. It was initially in cash but I started transferring the money online.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 5:47 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

As for the renting we'll just have to go over and see what happens, and hope we are lucky!
Check out Roomarama and Airbnb

We stayed here through Roomarama in his basement - cant find it now though but found it through address below. Lovely area.

http://www.hotelscombined.com.au/Hot...urist_Home.htm
Old Jun 13th 2013, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

wow 12 months rent! If i was just on my own then it would be easier I guess, lots of rooms out there, its becuase we want to rent on our own - 2 beds. Well we'll just have to see how it goes, people have said they managed to get somewhere - hopefully someone will be willing to take a chance on us - it will be down to luck.

I guess at least we're going over knowing it will be tough.

I'll check out roomarama and Airnib - thanks.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

rpurdie will become famous soon enoughrpurdie will become famous soon enough

I'm moving over for Aug 1st with my canadian wife (no jobs yet) and we've just lined up a place from afar.

Took a lot of trawling through padmapper, craigslist etc, but we found a great place in Roncey with a nice landlord who had sympathy with our situation. We had references and proof of funds ready to go, so filled in her application and beat 6 or 7 locals to it.

As regular users of Airbnb we are used to judging a place on photos and email correspondence alone but it has required a leap of faith on both parts.

Now, I just need to wire her $10,000 to her Nigerian bank account and we're all set!
Old Jun 13th 2013, 3:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by rpurdie
I'm moving over for Aug 1st with my canadian wife (no jobs yet) and we've just lined up a place from afar.

Took a lot of trawling through padmapper, craigslist etc, but we found a great place in Roncey with a nice landlord who had sympathy with our situation. We had references and proof of funds ready to go, so filled in her application and beat 6 or 7 locals to it.

As regular users of Airbnb we are used to judging a place on photos and email correspondence alone but it has required a leap of faith on both parts.

Now, I just need to wire her $10,000 to her Nigerian bank account and we're all set!
Many a true word spoken in jest!

Lots of scams out there, so due diligence is necessary.

Old Jun 13th 2013, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rpurdie

Well this kind of thing gives me hope! Although I would like to see the place in person and see the area ect. Was your proof of funds just a print out of your UK bank statement?

Has anyone had any experience of using someone ie a parent as a guarantor? and what that would entail?

My friend and I are 28 and 25 - this is the state of the UK, we can't afford to rent in our area because if we do we'll never save 30+% deposit for a mortgage, so we stay living with our parents. Nightmare. Cheapest rent for a one bed flat is £750 a month not including utilities. And the cheapest, smallest,dankest, 1 bed flat ie cheapest housing you could buy is about 110K+...
Old Jun 13th 2013, 7:02 pm
Banned

Well this kind of thing gives me hope! Although I would like to see the place in person and see the area ect. Was your proof of funds just a print out of your UK bank statement?

Has anyone had any experience of using someone ie a parent as a guarantor? and what that would entail?

My friend and I are 28 and 25 - this is the state of the UK, we can't afford to rent in our area because if we do we'll never save 30+% deposit for a mortgage, so we stay living with our parents. Nightmare. Cheapest rent for a one bed flat is £750 a month not including utilities. And the cheapest, smallest,dankest, 1 bed flat ie cheapest housing you could buy is about 110K+...
Sounds like Toronto prices!

Accommodation is quite expensive in the GTA, have you considered just outside that area or elsewhere?

As to guarantors, unless your family or friend lives in Canada I don't think it will be much help.

Please be aware that there are a lot of scams out there regarding rentals - you should do a quick google search for ways to make sure you don't get taken for a ride.

Hope you are able to find somewhere.

Padmapper is quite a good source for rentals too, and if you haven't looked, there is also a list in the wiki: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Renting-Canada

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 13th 2013 at 7:06 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.