Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto - Observations & Questions

Toronto - Observations & Questions

Old Dec 19th 2008, 3:20 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Toronto - Observations & Questions

Hello all.

I have been in Toronto for a week now so I thought I'd put down some general thoughts so far (possibly a bit boring, sorry). First off though, a big thank you to everybody who has helped me out with guidance and all-round Toronto knowledge, you know who you all are.

General Observations

It's not as cold as I thought it would be. I've been walking around outside for hours everyday, and yes it's cold, but not as bad as I expected. I am used to Irish damp so it makes a nice change to have crispy cold.

People are nice. People have asked me if I need any help when they have seen me wandering around with a map. A man stopped to help me with my baggage when I got to the subway and realised there were lots of stairs. I was so grateful!

The mall is huge. And really nice, although I have no clue where to shop.

I went to Walmart, and it was overwhelmingly bad. I had a preconceived notion of Walmart which has now been shattered. I think it's terrible. I have had fun looking around the different supermarkets and laughing at the bucket sized containers of ice cream and stuff. There seems to be a good choice in everything.

I love St Lawrence Market, brilliant bacon sandwiches. I walked around Cabbagetown yesterday and was in awe of the houses there (gotta bring my camera next time). I like Chinatown for all the food and random fruit I've never seen before. The Beaches and High Park/Roncesvalles are on the menu over the next few days.

The subway is brilliant, I am super impressed and have been zooming around to different places everyday. Anyone who has ever had to function and rely totally on NI public transport will understand.

I expected this one....but it's an isolating experience moving to a new country by yourself. Everyday I haven't spoken more than a few words: to ask for a coffee and to say please and thank you. On that note, I love Timmy's. The coffee is just how I like it and the donuts are waaaay too good.

Questions

(1) Ok, the big one first. I applied for a job on Saturday (13th). I really would love the job and know that I can do it, it's similar to what I did at home. I emailed my resume etc as per their instructions and it says that only applicants who are successful will be contacted. There is no end date for the job, the website says they will review resumes as and when they are received and the job will stay open till someone is hired.

Should I be disheartened that they've had my resume since the start of the week? And when do I call to confirm they got my application and introduce myself and all that? Before or after the holidays? They are closed from Dec 24 to Jan 2.

(2) My woolly gloves are inadequate I think for the Canadian winter. I saw fleecy thinsulate ones but they seem kind of....thin but fit well. I also saw chunky ones in Kensington Market which are knitted on the outside and fleecy on the inside but seem kind of awkward to use your hands when they're on. So I'm wondering which ones to get? I don't have money to waste, so I don't want to get the thinner thinsulate ones if they are no good. Do I get thin or chunky?

(3) If I end up buying a wooden framed bed with a slatted base, is there any reason why I should not put an air mattress on it? They have air mattresses on sale in Canadian Tire.

Answers on a postcard, I'm afraid there is no prize available.
That's about all for now! (Sorry if all that waffling bored anybody).
Canada =

Last edited by ireland2canada; Dec 19th 2008 at 3:24 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 3:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto - Observations & Questions

You might want to add the Kensington Market to your tour. Oh, and take the Gerrard car from one end to the other, see the world for the price of a token.

I don't think Thinsulate works at all. I have chunky gloves but have to keep taking them off and putting them on again.

I wouldn't expect a response on the job front before January 5th.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 3:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I love these wide eyed newcomer posts, it reminds me of all the positives that I now take for granted
Originally Posted by ireland2canada View Post

Questions

(1) Ok, the big one first. I applied for a job on Saturday (13th). I really would love the job and know that I can do it, it's similar to what I did at home. I emailed my resume etc as per their instructions and it says that only applicants who are successful will be contacted. There is no end date for the job, the website says they will review resumes as and when they are received and the job will stay open till someone is hired.

Should I be disheartened that they've had my resume since the start of the week? And when do I call to confirm they got my application and introduce myself and all that? Before or after the holidays? They are closed from Dec 24 to Jan 2.

(2) My woolly gloves are inadequate I think for the Canadian winter. I saw fleecy thinsulate ones but they seem kind of....thin but fit well. I also saw chunky ones in Kensington Market which are knitted on the outside and fleecy on the inside but seem kind of awkward to use your hands when they're on. So I'm wondering which ones to get? I don't have money to waste, so I don't want to get the thinner thinsulate ones if they are no good. Do I get thin or chunky?

(3) If I end up buying a wooden framed bed with a slatted base, is there any reason why I should not put an air mattress on it? They have air mattresses on sale in Canadian Tire.

Answers on a postcard, I'm afraid there is no prize available.
That's about all for now! (Sorry if all that waffling bored anybody).
Canada =
1: Call now just to politely follow up, its shows you are keen and not just going through the motions. If you can snoop around and find the name of the actual boss you would directly report to, try and avoid HR if you can. Xmas is a slow time of year for hiring, too many of the typical committee that seem to make the decision here are on vacation, so not hearing doesn't really mean anything yet. Good Luck

2: Get something windproof too, preferable waterproof as wet fleece gloves are like tits on a bull. Marks work warehouse has reasonable stuff at reasonable prices.
Eventually you will have dozens of pairs, thick, thin, waterproof etc, but for starters spend $30 on a pair of waterproof thinsulate ones that will cover the worst, then if they are too bulks for everyday you can get something thiner and dirt cheap at the dollar store.

3: Dont see why not, other than will it be supportive enough for your back in the long term.

Making good friends takes a little time and effort, don't stay isolated, force yourself to get out there, join clubs, take up activities etc. You have to go to them, no one will come knock on your door. Work helps too of course. Good Luck!

Last edited by iaink; Dec 19th 2008 at 5:01 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you're enjoying Toronto Totally agree with you with regards to Walmart it's a horrible place. As for Cabbagetown that was one of my favourite places in the City I had serious house envy every time I'd walk through the place. Good luck with the job hunt.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Td0t will become famous soon enoughTd0t will become famous soon enough

Sounds like you're on your way to a well rounded view of the city. Here a good list of things to check out.

http://www.toronto.com/attractions/article/600238

Also, this weekned will be a good time to see the Beaches... It looks really nice after a fresh snowfall.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Td0t View Post
Sounds like you're on your way to a well rounded view of the city. Here a good list of things to check out.

http://www.toronto.com/attractions/article/600238

Also, this weekned will be a good time to see the Beaches... It looks really nice after a fresh snowfall.
Hey,

I like layering my gloves...leather pair and then a wollen pair on top keeps my fingers toasty!

Did you come over on your own? Are you with SWAP? Moving countries is a hugely isolating experience because all of a sudden your support network has gone. I found though that I've made a lot of friends and while it's not quite the same as at home I have people here I can rely on and turn too...even if it's just for a quick coffee and a chat
Old Dec 19th 2008, 5:00 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=iaink;7082522]I love these wide eyed newcomer posts, it reminds me of all the positives that I now take for granted

Well I'm glad you liked it It's a big change from small town NI to this!
I'm gonna call about the job and hope for the best. Off out now to play on the streetcars..... maybe having a job will get in the way of my fun?
Old Dec 19th 2008, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=ireland2canada;7082837]
Originally Posted by iaink View Post
I love these wide eyed newcomer posts, it reminds me of all the positives that I now take for granted

Well I'm glad you liked it It's a big change from small town NI to this!
I'm gonna call about the job and hope for the best. Off out now to play on the streetcars..... maybe having a job will get in the way of my fun?
I am happy you feeling positive and keeping a good approach to your new surroundings??

With the Job thing, I will say Give them a call maybe next week Monday or what till the new yr 5th Jan 09. Also i dont think companies will be hiring as most as finishing off and wont look into applications and things like that but all the same go for it.

For Gloves, haaaa sorry maam.

and all in all , I will say enjoy and good luck with whatever u chose to do. Merry Christmas......................
Old Dec 19th 2008, 7:46 pm
Sempai

retsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to all

Hello all.

General Observations

It's not as cold as I thought it would be. I've been walking around outside for hours everyday, and yes it's cold, but not as bad as I expected. I am used to Irish damp so it makes a nice change to have crispy cold.
According to me (canadian) girlfriend it does not get truly cold in the GTA until February, so you are still in for a treat. But no worries I shall join you on the 30th of December

Is this for a larger corporation? You will find that most larger companies do not hire until February when their new fiscal year starts. That said this is probably the best time to get your resume through the door. I would suggest you follow up quickly.

The warmest and probably best way to cover your fingers is surprisingly simple and a very old type of glove. In Austria they are called "Fauestling" and look like this:
https://www.hood.de/img/full/1498/14988447.jpg

(ignore the ones with the open fingers).
They are usually made out of alpaca wool and very warm when worn properly. The only thing they are not good for is very moist conditions, something you will not have troubles with when it is very cold though.

The same style of glove is also often done in leather with lamb "fur" on the inside to keep you warm.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 9:39 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Greetings, and Merry Christmas to all.

Nice to see you've made it at last, and hope you like our little snowfall today. Hope the job hunting goes well, but as others have said you'll probably not hear anything back before the New Year.

Enjoy yourself.