Reload this Page >

Toronto neighbourhoods

Toronto neighbourhoods

Old Jan 25th 2016, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

WildfireV2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Toronto neighbourhoods

Hi guys,

I've been looking around at apartment prices getting an idea of roughly the sort of cost of things for when I move out to Toronto in around 4 months.

But I wanted to know which neighbourhoods are likely to be the best fit, as a lot of places seem to be family orientated.

I'm moving there on my own as a 26 year old British male, and I've looked around on the web but a lot of articles are out dated by at least 3 or 4 years.

I'm not too bothered about being in the absolute heart of the city because of the sheer cost of living, but if there are some cool little neighbourhoods in the outskirts then that'd be ideal.

Any help is appreciated
Old Jan 25th 2016, 12:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto neighbourhoods

Church and Wellesley is an area where you'll soon make friends.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Church and Wellesley is an area where you'll soon make friends.
Hey, can you tell me why? is it an immigrant heavy neighbourhood, or a young professional singles type place?

thanks.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

You might find this useful:

Toronto Neighbourhoods

My wife and I moved to Toronto in our mid 20s back in 1989. We lived in an apartment building on Sherwood Ave in the Yonge and Eglinton area which has a lot of restaurants, bars, shops, etc. There's a TTC subway station right at the intersection of Yonge St & Eglinton Ave and it doesn't take too long to get downtown. I still go back to visit the area often (was there just before Xmas).

Visit YONGE EGLINTON and discover a world you thought you knew

A couple of my fav pubs are in the area:

Duke of Kent – Duke Pubs

Rose and Crown

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 25th 2016 at 2:02 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 2:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
You might find this useful:

Toronto Neighbourhoods
Bucket of salt required:

"The Rexdale neighbourhood is buffered by the picturesque West Humber River Valley to the north while an industrial corridor forms the southern boundary. Rexdale's housing stock is very diverse with owner occupied single-family houses located on the interior of the neighbourhood and subsidized and rental housing located on the periphery of this community."

I nominated the gay village earlier which would be a great place to start, if you like that sort of thing. If not then as close to downtown as you can afford would make sense.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

humanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to all

Originally Posted by WildfireV2
Hey, can you tell me why? is it an immigrant heavy neighbourhood, or a young professional singles type place?

thanks.
I think he's trying to be witty, Church & Wellesley is in the heart of Toronto's gay village. Incidentally I used to live there (despite being straight) and it was actually quite a fun place to live and very central.

I'd check out Yonge and Eglinton if I were you, or perhaps Liberty Village depending on your budget.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WildfireV2

thanks.
I think he's yanking your chain. Church & Wellesley is the heart of Toronto's gay community. He probably has intimate knowledge of the area himself.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 2:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
I think he's yanking your chain. Church & Wellesley is the heart of Toronto's gay community. He probably has intimate knowledge of the area himself.
Yes. We, corporately, had a building there from the mid-80s until a couple of years ago. My children went to school a couple of blocks away and started their under-age drinking at Zelda's. I lived downtown and then in progressively more suburban locations, Leslieville and then the Beach.

I didn't find any need to go up past Bloor while living in Toronto but, in the circumstances, would pick Yonge/Eglinton over Liberty Village.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

I really like the Queens Quay area, probably because I am not a huge fan of cities so if you get an apartment looking out over the lake and islands you can forget you are in the city. There is a lot happening in the harbour front area, particularly in the summer. The downside is its on the other side of the Gardner to the city core so to get home you have to walk under it, which I personally find a bit spooky at night.
The other area I would consider if I lived in the city would be Yonge/Eglinton as mentioned above.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

humanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to all

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
I really like the Queens Quay area, probably because I am not a huge fan of cities so if you get an apartment looking out over the lake and islands you can forget you are in the city. There is a lot happening in the harbour front area, particularly in the summer. The downside is its on the other side of the Gardner to the city core so to get home you have to walk under it, which I personally find a bit spooky at night.
The other area I would consider if I lived in the city would be Yonge/Eglinton as mentioned above.
Agreed, when I first came to Toronto I lived on Harbourfront and really enjoyed living there. It can be a little pricey though and we're not sure what the OPs budget is.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 3:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by humanist
Agreed, when I first came to Toronto I lived on Harbourfront and really enjoyed living there. It can be a little pricey though and we're not sure what the OPs budget is.
If the budget is very limited then I think Cabbagetown is an attractive choice. Yes, every day you will see people who have pissed themselves but you can walk to most places, the subway isn't far and the area is a nice mix of parks, gobsmackingly expensive old houses and cheap rooming houses.

The snag is that you have to be very aggressive and very organized to get a place.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
If the budget is very limited then I think Cabbagetown is an attractive choice. Yes, every day you will see people who have pissed themselves but you can walk to most places, the subway isn't far and the area is a nice mix of parks, gobsmackingly expensive old houses and cheap rooming houses.

The snag is that you have to be very aggressive and very organized to get a place.
He's only 26, and let's be honest Cabbagetown isn't exactly party central is it.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 3:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

He's only 26, and let's be honest Cabbagetown isn't exactly party central is it.
I doubt he'll have the funding for Queen West and the other suggestions so far aren't going to seem exciting unless he's coming from Pinner. Still, in the end it'll come down to what accommodation is available on the day. I'd say anywhere within the Bathurst/Bloor/Parliament/Lake box might do.

Note, of course, that we're not talking London or NYC, Toronto isn't going to be very exciting no matter where you live. It's more sensible than thrilling.

Last edited by dbd33; Jan 25th 2016 at 3:37 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

I'm taking just over £10,000 with me. I don't think I need that much for the Visa, but I wanted to be sure I had enough in reserve in case it took me a while to find work.

I don't want to live someone ridiculously expensive because I'd prefer to have the safety net last as long as theoretically possible, but I wouldn't say no to living near water.. that's for sure.

I don't really know what to look for as far as renting range goes, because I still haven't decided whether I want to live alone or share.

Sharing makes more sense, from almost every standpoint, except I'd be giving up a certain amount of freedom.

Also I'm coming from a small town with nothing going on, and I've never lived in a city before..

Last edited by WildfireV2; Jan 25th 2016 at 3:39 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

If money is tight, a room in a shared house or apartment is definitely the way to go. It also makes sense in terms of meeting people and making friends since you'll be travelling alone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.