Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto Maple Leafs

Toronto Maple Leafs

Old Jul 31st 2009, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold
Default Toronto Maple Leafs

Hi,

I'm looking to go and watch a game during my visit in December.

The TML's are playing against: Cyotes, Bruins, Sabres & Canadiens.

I would like to know what game would be the best one to see. It's going to be my first hockey game (in Canada) so I haven't got a clue

Thanks for any help
Old Jul 31st 2009, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Toronto Maple Leafs

1 - Montreal
2 - Boston
3 - Buffalo
4 - Phoenix

If you can get tickets, definitely go for the Canadiens game. There's a great rivalry between Toronto and Montreal.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:09 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by act1980
Hi,

I would like to know what game would be the best one to see. It's going to be my first hockey game (in Canada) so I haven't got a clue

Thanks for any help
The Maple Leafs Vs Sabres is the best game. Sabres win 4-3 though.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:45 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I know I suggested a hockey game on your "Christmas" thread however I should have point out that tickets will be difficult to come by, particularly for the Montreal, Boston and Buffalo games. There are not many public tickets available and for the big games they are quickly snapped up by the scalpers. Tickets are scalped on day of game outside the arena but that is an expensive way to buy them.
While not the same as being at the game, give consideration to going to one of the many downtown sports bars with large screen TV's and watching there. You will get some atmosphere from the other attendees. Somewhere like this:- http://www.gretzky.com/restaurant/ which is very close to the arena (Air Canada Centre).
Hope I haven't burst one of your bubbles.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:51 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

The Toronto Maple Leafs have sold out every game since 1949- that combined with the fact that you are there at Christmas where ticket demand will be high due to holidays means that you will need to budget at the very least several hundred dollars for tickets.

If you can find a midweek game that is your most cost effective option.

That failing I recommend watching The Leafs against the Canadians in the Loose Moose on Front Street. http://www.theloosemoose.ca/

Last edited by JamesM; Jul 31st 2009 at 12:53 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I know I suggested a hockey game on your "Christmas" thread however I should have point out that tickets will be difficult to come by, particularly for the Montreal, Boston and Buffalo games. There are not many public tickets available and for the big games they are quickly snapped up by the scalpers. Tickets are scalped on day of game outside the arena but that is an expensive way to buy them.
While not the same as being at the game, give consideration to going to one of the many downtown sports bars with large screen TV's and watching there. You will get some atmosphere from the other attendees. Somewhere like this:- http://www.gretzky.com/restaurant/ which is very close to the arena (Air Canada Centre).
Hope I haven't burst one of your bubbles.
Ah thats a shame. Thanks for the tip on going to the bar though, sounds like that could still be fun
Old Jul 31st 2009, 1:01 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Ah thats a shame. Thanks for the tip on going to the bar though, sounds like that could still be fun
To be honest though, if you've not seen a live hockey game before you'll enjoy the lower league games just as much i reckon.

Check out http://www.gmhl.net/schedule.php?show=season for dates for home games for Toronto.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 1:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
The Toronto Maple Leafs have sold out every game since 1949- that combined with the fact that you are there at Christmas where ticket demand will be high due to holidays means that you will need to budget at the very least several hundred dollars for tickets.
I don't like the Leafs and I don't really care for ice hockey. However I tagged along to a game because the pub organized the trip. We flew to Carolina. It was cheaper to fly, watch the game and stay in flea pit than it would have been to go the game locally.

An OHL game is a better option, even more fights, much less money.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 1:11 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks for any help
I think you should go to the Sabres/Coyotes games at least Toronto will have a chance of winning...
Old Jul 31st 2009, 2:07 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I know I suggested a hockey game on your "Christmas" thread however I should have point out that tickets will be difficult to come by, particularly for the Montreal, Boston and Buffalo games.
If the deal to sell Pheonix goes through and they become a "canadian" team, then tickets for that could get expensive too.

I think if you want a real taste of what canada is about you should go take in a peewee or midget (Kids) game at a local arena. They probably need the money more than the leafs, and you will see canada family life in full flow
Old Jul 31st 2009, 2:45 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by iaink
I think if you want a real taste of what canada is about you should go take in a peewee or midget (Kids) game at a local arena. They probably need the money more than the leafs, and you will see canada family life in full flow
I second this. I watched one of the most entertaining games i've seen a couple of New Years ago in Cranbrook BC like this. So much fun and a great family atmosphere.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Deva
1 - Montreal
2 - Boston
3 - Buffalo
4 - Phoenix
this goes with what i would suggest. don't expect the Leafs to win tho

i dunno if TOR is anything like VAN, but the Canucks sell game day singles. as the name implies, you have to sit on your own.... but canadians are friendly types and you soon get chatting. besides, you are there to watch the game and you can grab some excellent seats

and all are half price!

I will never forget my first NHL game. and nor should i! i waited over 20 years for the chance!

the MON match would be incredible; even better if watched in MON.... but tix for that, even as game day singles will be few and far between i think.

good luck and enjoy but if you fail to get tix, get a recommendation for a decent sized local bar.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:36 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

all I have to say is GO LEAFS GO!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:48 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks for any help

What? no Sens??
Old Jul 31st 2009, 9:23 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Go see the Toronto Marlies (the feeder team for the Maple Leafs) at the Ricoh Coliseum instead of trying to pay hundreds of dollars per ticket to see the Maple Leafs. For a start they're better, often win, have a great atmosphere and tickets can be had really cheaply.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.