Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto - I have arrived! Woo hoo!!!!

Toronto - I have arrived! Woo hoo!!!!

Old Aug 26th 2008, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

iananddave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Toronto - I have arrived! Woo hoo!!!!

Hello Toronto!!!

We made it last Tuesday. Can't believe we're here now. Taking the QM2 over was fantastic - loved every minute of it. Borders both US and Canada were fine and did my 'crossing' without any issues including having the cat with us.

First week has been great! The area of the city we're in couldn't have been more perfect. Excellent views of downtown on one side and an even spectacular view of High Park on the other side. Takes 15 minutes to get into downtown and rush hour is a joke compared to London! So glad I have personal space back and not eating arm pit hair

Opening accounts easy peasy... we went with TD in the end - had gone into Scotiabank but the service was so lousy we walked out.

Dave started work yesterday downtown and is enjoying the perks of the new job already - apparently he has a corner office with a big window (he's still raving about it)... I start for my UK company working from home tomorrow. Home office already kitted out!

Overall settling in has been very easy - selection of furniture in the stores were better than expected - don't know if it's because I am in Toronto or what but styles aren't too different from UK. Rogers cable and broadband is already in - they are doing some fantastic deals at the moment. Got most of it half price for a year.

Cheers for now...

Ian and Dave
Old Aug 26th 2008, 9:32 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto - I have arrived! Woo hoo!!!!

Congrats

drop us a PM if you want to meet up.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 9:54 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iananddave
Hello Toronto!!!

We made it last Tuesday. Can't believe we're here now. Taking the QM2 over was fantastic - loved every minute of it. Borders both US and Canada were fine and did my 'crossing' without any issues including having the cat with us.

First week has been great! The area of the city we're in couldn't have been more perfect. Excellent views of downtown on one side and an even spectacular view of High Park on the other side. Takes 15 minutes to get into downtown and rush hour is a joke compared to London! So glad I have personal space back and not eating arm pit hair

Opening accounts easy peasy... we went with TD in the end - had gone into Scotiabank but the service was so lousy we walked out.

Dave started work yesterday downtown and is enjoying the perks of the new job already - apparently he has a corner office with a big window (he's still raving about it)... I start for my UK company working from home tomorrow. Home office already kitted out!

Overall settling in has been very easy - selection of furniture in the stores were better than expected - don't know if it's because I am in Toronto or what but styles aren't too different from UK. Rogers cable and broadband is already in - they are doing some fantastic deals at the moment. Got most of it half price for a year.

Cheers for now...

Ian and Dave
Well done you have been busy. Enjoy your new life.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

blimey has a brilliant futureblimey has a brilliant futureblimey has a brilliant futureblimey has a brilliant futureblimey has a brilliant futureblimey has a brilliant future

Welcome to T.O.! We lived downtown when we first arrived and also loved the city views. How did you manage to score a place with a view of High Park?! Begging? Pleading? Fairy Godmother?

I agree re: Scotiabank, btw. Sounds like you're getting settled in pretty quickly so well done you two!
Old Aug 27th 2008, 2:04 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Toronto! Don't fret about having missed the Summer- the weather was crap!

Old Aug 27th 2008, 2:41 pm
Account Closed

I heard the weather was rubbish...

I expected to arrive to a dusty dust bowl of a city with scorched grass.

This week has been ok - must have been waiting for us!

Ian.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

Welcome to T.O.! We lived downtown when we first arrived and also loved the city views. How did you manage to score a place with a view of High Park?! Begging? Pleading? Fairy Godmother?

We Live in the High Park Lofts
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

blimey has a brilliant futureblimey has a brilliant futureblimey has a brilliant futureblimey has a brilliant futureblimey has a brilliant futureblimey has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by iananddave

We Live in the High Park Lofts
oh you bought a place - sorry, thought you'd rented and it's really hard to rent in that area from afar. my fault for assuming
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Mr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enoughMr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enough

Congrats from us as well We've been here since 18 August and we are loving it too! We ended up going with Scotiabank for our current account, just to get us started but to be honest, I think we'll be taking our custom somewhere else too...

Mr B will start his job on 2 September, we have bank accounts, SIN numbers, OHIP cards have been applied for and Rogers is coming to install (hopefully) our internet on 8 September.... Everybody has been so friendly and so helpful, it's amazing....And the efficiency....ah... I could rave about it :-)

We are renting a huge 3 bed flat (1200 sq ft) within walking distance of a subway station (about 15 minutes downtown, probably 20 to the station where Mr B's office is...). It's just fab.....we're still waiting to wake up....
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:09 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr and Mrs B.
Congrats from us as well We've been here since 18 August and we are loving it too! We ended up going with Scotiabank for our current account, just to get us started but to be honest, I think we'll be taking our custom somewhere else too...

Mr B will start his job on 2 September, we have bank accounts, SIN numbers, OHIP cards have been applied for and Rogers is coming to install (hopefully) our internet on 8 September.... Everybody has been so friendly and so helpful, it's amazing....And the efficiency....ah... I could rave about it :-)

We are renting a huge 3 bed flat (1200 sq ft) within walking distance of a subway station (about 15 minutes downtown, probably 20 to the station where Mr B's office is...). It's just fab.....we're still waiting to wake up....
Fantastic. Love the positivity. Seems to be diametrically opposed to those who move to smaller communities.

Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geo4
Fantastic. Love the positivity. Seems to be diametrically opposed to those who move to smaller communities.

Even if they're on the North Shore?
Old Aug 28th 2008, 5:28 pm
Swollen Member

Originally Posted by dbd33
Even if they're on the North Shore?
I can't buy decent cheese; Cadbury's chocolate is not as good; Canadians aren't very social; blah blah blah blah
Old Aug 28th 2008, 6:30 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Welcome. And High Park, you lucky sods!

You're just in time for the TIFF.

http://tiff08.ca/default.aspx
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:46 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Canada lads, I hope it is everything you want it to be.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 10:38 am
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by windward
Welcome. And High Park, you lucky sods!

You're just in time for the TIFF.

http://tiff08.ca/default.aspx
Seconded. Be grateful you're not in the wilds of Etobicoke.