Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto or going back to London after 5 yrs, so confused!

Toronto or going back to London after 5 yrs, so confused!

Old Apr 15th 2014, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

bingbong180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Toronto or going back to London after 5 yrs, so confused!

Comparing toronto to London to toronto is like like comparing an Audi to a BMW. There's no great difference . They're both first world alpha cities with their economies dominated by international finance . Both cities have experienced massive immigration from the developing world over the last 30 years and the white European population has gradually moved out satellite towns and the commuter belt. Canada is at an advantage over Uk in that its economy is closed tied to the USA and Mexico, whereas the uk is closely tied to the Eu where there is still huge unemployment and a shrinking ageing population.housing in toronto is better value than London.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 12:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingbong180
Comparing toronto to London to toronto is like like comparing an Audi to a BMW. There's no great difference .
A made-in-Alliston Honda to a Jaguar surely. London has history, London has architecture, London has theatre, art, fashion. London is a big exciting city. Toronto has some nice malls.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

humanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd33
A made-in-Alliston Honda to a Jaguar surely. London has history, London has architecture, London has theatre, art, fashion. London is a big exciting city. Toronto has some nice malls.
AGO, ROM, Kensington Market, Distillery, Beaches, China Town, Harbourfront, Casa Loma, Toronto Islands?

It isn't THAT bad, come oooon!

I for one am very happy with Toronto after living in London for 10 years, there's no way I'd go back, even after the winter from hell (and more snow today).
Old Apr 15th 2014, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

fitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud of

An advantage i'd like to point out is that it sounds like you are making the descision together, and like some others have posted your kids will be who they will be despite your efforts and they will have options to move away etc.. when they are older. I think the reality is when you are in UK you will miss Canada and when in Canada you'll miss the UK. Both have Pros and Cons.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 2:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The one thing that you more than likely wont find in both cities is your family and old friends.

You have to decide for yourself how important that is compared to the risks of returning to a perhaps uncertain financial future.

Now, most of you may recall that both my kids were born here in Canada. For 11 years we lived here with no family to speak of, although there were some honorary uncles and aunts and grandparents along the way that were not true relatives, just close friends. To cut a long story short we are now in contact with some of my wifes estranged family here and my kids for the first time have real cousins and aunts to hang out with without the need to be spending thousands and enduring an 8 hr flight, and they seem very happy with this change....

Of course, there was a reason that my wife is/was estranged from her family in the first place, so the family thing can be either a pro or a con I guess... Either way, its not something likely to be found in both london and toronto for the average expat.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 15th 2014 at 2:32 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 2:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by humanist

No, it's not. It's quite pleasant in parts.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 3:29 pm
been there, done that

phr1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by humanist
AGO, ROM, Kensington Market, Distillery, Beaches, China Town, Harbourfront, Casa Loma, Toronto Islands?

I for one am very happy with Toronto after living in London for 10 years, there's no way I'd go back, even after the winter from hell (and more snow today).
I agree. These are nice interesting little spots, but how many times one can revisit and see the same things? They never change or evolve.
I minus Casa Loma, this is just an anomaly for me.. a bit of Disney Land. It’s pretty hideous just like a lot of the architecture in this city.

As for the rest of the list.. how do you compare the ROM and the AGO to the Natural history museum, V&A, Science museum, British museum, Tate Britain, Tate Modern, Royal academy of art, Portrait gallery, Toy museum, RIBA exhibitions room…do I need to carry on? I am a member of the AGO 4 yrs now and enjoyed many of the exhibitions there, the building is fantastic… but it’s still small and too little of an exposure for me. 70% of it is permanent exhibition so how many times one can see that? Talking about architecture.. I love how Torontonians hate the ROM. I wish they had more of these building around to shock them a little bit...
Old Apr 15th 2014, 3:30 pm
been there, done that

Originally Posted by dbd33
No, it's not. It's quite pleasant in parts.
Trinity belwood in the summer is lovely!
Old Apr 15th 2014, 3:37 pm
been there, done that

Originally Posted by bingbong180
They're both first world alpha cities with their economies dominated by international finance.
I find it very hard to accept Toronto is a world class city.
Every time we come back from Europe or NY and drive into the downtown (where we live) I feel like I want to cry.
This is a North American sleepy village compare to London. Agree about the economy but not about anything else.
World class city for starters will NEVER live peacefully with Rob Ford as a mayor.. But Please(!) lets don’t start talking about him here..Please!
Old Apr 15th 2014, 3:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by phr1
Trinity belwood in the summer is lovely!
I lived downtown and then in the Beach. We rarely ventured near Parkdale.

I still shop at the St. Lawrence Market. I very much like that place. And, of course, one goes to the Royal annually.

Oh, and I like Allan Gardens, the dog park, the greenhouse, the homeless alcoholic beggars.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

humanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to all

I agree. These are nice interesting little spots, but how many times one can revisit and see the same things? They never change or evolve.
I minus Casa Loma, this is just an anomaly for me.. a bit of Disney Land. It’s pretty hideous just like a lot of the architecture in this city.

As for the rest of the list.. how do you compare the ROM and the AGO to the Natural history museum, V&A, Science museum, British museum, Tate Britain, Tate Modern, Royal academy of art, Portrait gallery, Toy museum, RIBA exhibitions room…do I need to carry on? I am a member of the AGO 4 yrs now and enjoyed many of the exhibitions there, the building is fantastic… but it’s still small and too little of an exposure for me. 70% of it is permanent exhibition so how many times one can see that? Talking about architecture.. I love how Torontonians hate the ROM. I wish they had more of these building around to shock them a little bit...
Yeah, I know what you're saying. I was just making the point that TO is not quite the cultural wasteland that it's sometimes made out to be.

I guess the "life stage" you're at also makes a difference. We live in The Beaches with our 2 year old, so trips to the theatre, art galleries etc. are few and far between.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 7:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It's been 5+ years since we left the UK and moved to Toronto. We were expecting our second baby at the time and had a 4 yr old.
We were living in London and had good jobs and a house we just finished renovating but we felt the pressure of the big city and cost of living and needed a change.
As We were pregnant we thought the timing is right and we should have our baby on the other side of the pond and start afresh. Immigration was a non issue as my partner has dual nationalities and carries Canadian citizenship, but have never lived in Canada.
Perhaps something has been missed in the detail, but you suggest that your partner is Canadian by descent. Which means that your older child probably isn't a Canadian citizen, unless there are some special circumstances, OR he has been granted Canadian citizenship.

If you are going to leave Canada, it would be recommended to ensure your older son has his Canadian citizenship before leaving. Same goes for you. A family of mixed nationalities is sometimes unavoidable, but has the risk to cause complications and/or strife later on. Especially when such situation could have been avoided by making the right applications at the right time.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Perhaps something has been missed in the detail, but you suggest that your partner is Canadian by descent. Which means that your older child probably isn't a Canadian citizen, unless there are some special circumstances, OR he has been granted Canadian citizenship.

If you are going to leave Canada, it would be recommended to ensure your older son has his Canadian citizenship before leaving. Same goes for you. A family of mixed nationalities is sometimes unavoidable, but has the risk to cause complications and/or strife later on. Especially when such situation could have been avoided by making the right applications at the right time.
I would agree. The oldest child is granted citizenship immediately on arrival on a PR visa though. They should have applied for that now. As the oldest son should have come over on PR, and I would have thought OP would have had her citizenship by now as she surely came on PR too?
Old Apr 16th 2014, 12:51 am
been there, done that

my kids are both Canadians and british. no worries there. thanks for your thought.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I find it very hard to accept Toronto is a world class city.
Every time we come back from Europe or NY and drive into the downtown (where we live) I feel like I want to cry.
This is a North American sleepy village compare to London. Agree about the economy but not about anything else.
World class city for starters will NEVER live peacefully with Rob Ford as a mayor.. But Please(!) lets don’t start talking about him here..Please!
Seriously, if Toronto makes you want to cry, you really should move!

What are the "world class" cities? This is very subjective. Different people will have different views on the attributes that a "world class" city must possess.

I have lived in London and Toronto and was quite happy in both. It should be obvious that they are different cities. I think in terms of big city excitement/attractions, the top 3 in the world are probably (in no particular order) New York, London and Paris. It's pointless trying to compare Toronto or any other city in the world to those 3 because everywhere else will come up short to some degree. Apart from New York, what other cities in North America come close to being "world class"? We can't all live in New York so, if we want to live in North America, we have to live somewhere else. There are a number of interesting cities in North America that I could see myself living in e.g. Montreal, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, Washington DC. But are any of those "world class"? Does it even matter as long as they you find them good enough to live in?

I do think there are many more interesting cities in Europe but that is to be expected when a large part of the attraction of any city for many people is history, culture, language, art, architecture, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.