Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto or Edmonton?

Toronto or Edmonton?

Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:21 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto or Edmonton?

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Good to see that some people can. Even Germans.
How do YOU know s/he is German?
Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:25 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Edo
How do YOU know s/he is German?
Because she said so in her first ever post. She could be lying, I suppose.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:35 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Because she said so in her first ever post. She could be lying, I suppose.
Or may be she has changed her mind since then
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute

Why would I lie about being German?
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute

Aaaaanyway, we kind of lost sight of the idea behind me starting this thread! Thanks to everyone for their helpful feedback! And to those trying to wind others up - thanks as well! I kind of had fun here, in a very strange way...
Well, if anyone's got any more advice about the old Toronto - Edmonton issue I would still highly appreciate it! After all it is a big decision to make
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:35 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanja87
Aaaaanyway, we kind of lost sight of the idea behind me starting this thread! Thanks to everyone for their helpful feedback! And to those trying to wind others up - thanks as well! I kind of had fun here, in a very strange way...
Well, if anyone's got any more advice about the old Toronto - Edmonton issue I would still highly appreciate it! After all it is a big decision to make
OK, firstly I wasnt supposed to be posting.

Secondly, apart from the people what did you like about TO? Where do you live now?

Thirdly, IF you were NOT to get PR how gutted would you be?

Finally how old are you?
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

Originally Posted by Steve_P
So once again we have a totally uninformed opinion of the weather for a given location.

Seems to happen with great regularity around here.
I watch the weather network all winter long. I not a lot about Canadian winters in different cities. Don't keep jumping on your high horse. I have travel all of Canada and been to most cities.

As you well know, it is the first thing you do in the winter. Plus I have time shifting on Cable. So I watch Alberta news and weather on telly. That make me inform e-nuff to make informed opinion sunshine.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:47 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Essex_Man
I watch the weather network all winter long. I not a lot about Canadian winters in different cities. Don't keep jumping on your high horse. I have travel all of Canada and been to most cities.

As you well know, it is the first thing you do in the winter. Plus I have time shifting on Cable. So I watch Alberta news and weather on telly. That make me inform e-nuff to make informed opinion sunshine.
Sorry I have to disagree.

If you haven't lived in a place you're in no position to be telling people how bad or good a place is weatherwise or any other way for that matter.

Leave it to those who know from first hand experience.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

Sorry I have to disagree.

If you haven't lived in a place you're in no position to be telling people how bad or good a place is weatherwise or any other way for that matter.

Leave it to those who know from first hand experience.
Sure I can mention the weather nothing to stop me from doing so. I know what the is weather like. I know what the cold feels like there.

Look just goto Toronto. It is a better city period. hands down. 2nd Would be Vancouver. Forget about Edmonton. Toronto is big. 5th Largest in NA. Tons of great places to live. Great antiques markets. Concerts, Restaurants, Ride the tram. Walk along Queen Street west and people watch. Drink Coffee in the beaches and There is even a great under ground city. For when it gets parky outside. Fantastic walks along the bluffs, Glen Rouge Park, High park. Just plating up the DVP and on to 401 is still neat.

Last edited by Essex_Man; Apr 24th 2009 at 6:54 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:54 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Essex_Man
Sure I can mention the weather nothing to stop me from doing so. I know what the is weather like. I know what the cold feels like there.
Have you actually spent a winter in Edmonton?

Have you actually lived in Edmonton for any period of time, not just a holiday?

Last edited by Steve_P; Apr 24th 2009 at 6:56 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Have you actually spent a winter in Edmonton?
No just Calgary. Few days for a shows. But I seen lots and lots and I mean lots of winter weather reports to have a very good idea. Plus my partners mother lived in Edmonton. (husband in the military) she used to bitch about the winters there over the years.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Just to answer your questions, Butch Cassidy:

I am 22, my husband is 25.

Apart from the people in Toronto we liked the fact that there were loads of lovely places to go out, even if you were on a tighter budget. The night life was great with loads of different kinds of places to go to and see live gigs, just chill out or dance the night away! We also loved the fact that there were lots of quiet residential areas that made this huge and busy city feel rather "cosy".

Please don't be mistaken everyone - we have been researching about Canada for years now and we think we've got a fair idea of what it's all about! It's not like we just had the idea to come over and didn't look into it at all. Just remember - most or you were/are in the same situation as we are, trying to go to Canada to build a new life there!

And yeah, we'd be gutted if we didn't get the PR, very!! I guess we've just gotta hope for the best and keep our little fingers crossed!!
Old Apr 24th 2009, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

And, before anyone starts moaning again - I know this may sound naive or whatever to some of you but, at the moment, we do not really have another choice... A little optimism never hurt anyone!
( Just don't wanna be lectured on how risky this is! I am well aware of it so please don't... )

Last edited by Tanja87; Apr 24th 2009 at 7:32 pm. Reason: just making sure...
Old Apr 24th 2009, 7:38 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

And, before anyone starts moaning again - I know this may sound naive or whatever to some of you but, at the moment, we do not really have another choice... A little optimism never hurt anyone!
( Just don't wanna be lectured on how risky this is! I am well aware of it so please don't... )
It's risky
Old Apr 24th 2009, 7:41 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

In all seriousness, the best way forward is to concentrate getting your PR, move to your chosen city of TO and enjoy the ride. If you find it's not for you then look at other cities, towns, provinces in Canada

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.