Reload this Page >

Topping up UK National Insurance Payments

Topping up UK National Insurance Payments

Old Apr 26th 2023, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

adm62 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Topping up UK National Insurance Payments

Originally Posted by Kingsboy48
Hi, you absolutely can claim state pensions from the UK and Canada (and a third etc...). Regarding the Frozen Pensions issue please review the www.britishpensions.com website and sign up for just $25 a year and add your voice to the efforts to get annual uprating included as an issue in the current Canada/UK trade talks. On 19th April there was a demo on Parliament Hill by a group of us frozen seniors and an event in parliament buildings with around 60 MPs attending. The event did not get as much media coverage due to the public servants strike starting that day!
Good to know, thanks.

Hope protests bear fruit

Old Jun 19th 2023, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

adm62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Deadline to supplement missing years of NI contributions has been extended until April 2025
Old Jun 26th 2023, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Something else for you all to be aware of - we (hubby and me) made payments for the last year back in January, using the same method as previous years (set up as payment from UK bank account). I checked a few weeks ago and could see it hadn’t yet been credited to the 2022/2023 tax year. Checked again today, and still not there so called them. Very helpful person confirmed the payment had been received but credited to 2013/2014 tax year, which was a random unfilled year - our understanding is that at our age and with our record, additional payments prior to 2016, when things changed, don’t help us.
So she’s arranging for the payment to be moved to the correct year. Apparently there was nothing I could have done to ensure it was correctly allocated, as happened to my husband’s payment but it would require a call to sort it out.
Old Aug 1st 2023, 3:46 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Just to give everyone the heads up.

I called HMRC today as I'd applied to Top Up in January and hadn't heard.

They told me that they are currently processing everything that had been received up to September 2022 and that the estimated processing time is 46 weeks so almost a year.

This affectionately reminds me of dealing with Citizenship Immigration Canada and the ever expanding time lines.

At least HMRC take phone calls :-)
Old Aug 1st 2023, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Just to give everyone the heads up.

I called HMRC today as I'd applied to Top Up in January and hadn't heard.

They told me that they are currently processing everything that had been received up to September 2022 and that the estimated processing time is 46 weeks so almost a year.

This affectionately reminds me of dealing with Citizenship Immigration Canada and the ever expanding time lines.

At least HMRC take phone calls :-)

Have tried to call HMRC several times and immediately heard the message "we are extremely busy etc etc' and was cut off.
I read that the help line for tax issues had been discontinued until September!

You were lucky to get a response.
Old Aug 1st 2023, 7:10 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Have tried to call HMRC several times and immediately heard the message "we are extremely busy etc etc' and was cut off.
I read that the help line for tax issues had been discontinued until September!

You were lucky to get a response.
I've got through twice. What was frustrating was the first person in May told me my form hadn't been received so I sent another. Now they have two. Hopefully this doesn't push my timeline back to getting things moving.

There is a lot of telephony though. You cant skip it and have to get through a good few minutes of recorded content.
Old Aug 2nd 2023, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine was received in February so its a waiting game I am afraid
Old Jan 15th 2024, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

peteforde is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have 5 years to go before I can claim my pension. I have 26 years paid. So I am thinking I should top up. I need to make sure the amount I top up is going to be worth it. Compared to what I would get back. I can easily get my pension forecast, Now I am trying to contact HMRC, without any luck, to see what my next steps are and how I pay? Any tips and tricks would be much appreiciated. Currently it looks like its 17.45 pounds a week t top up NI if your have gaps. Paid via the CF83 form. Does this sound correct?

Last edited by peteforde; Jan 15th 2024 at 5:28 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2024, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peteforde
Hi, I have 5 years to go before I can claim my pension. I have 26 years paid. So I am thinking I should top up. I need to make sure the amount I top up is going to be worth it. Compared to what I would get back. I can easily get my pension forecast, Now I am trying to contact HMRC, without any luck, to see what my next steps are and how I pay? Any tips and tricks would be much appreiciated. Currently it looks like its 17.45 pounds a week t top up NI if your have gaps. Paid via the CF83 form. Does this sound correct?
Have you applied for Class 2 payments, if you think you’re eligible? I think that’s the CF83 form - they then get back to you, tell you the amount and how to pay. It might take a while though, looking at these comments.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ty-abroad-ni38

Last edited by Twitcher1958; Jan 15th 2024 at 5:34 pm. Reason: Update
Old Jan 16th 2024, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit that I am amazed how many people are prepared to f*&k the UK taxpayers.
Old Jan 16th 2024, 4:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I have to admit that I am amazed how many people are prepared to f*&k the UK taxpayers.
It's hard to imagine why a government would be willing to give such a good return for the investment.

So perhaps most people buying missing years don't live long enough to get it back and the gains from those people outweigh those are paid out.

A bit like insurance where if your house burns down what you get far outweighs the premiums you paid in, but the insurance companies profit from the premiums of people who don't claim.

Maybe a lot of people buy the missing years and celebrate in advance their good fortune, drinking themselves to death.
Old Jan 16th 2024, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's hard to imagine why a government would be willing to give such a good return for the investment.

So perhaps most people buying missing years don't live long enough to get it back and the gains from those people outweigh those are paid out.

A bit like insurance where if your house burns down what you get far outweighs the premiums you paid in, but the insurance companies profit from the premiums of people who don't claim.

Maybe a lot of people buy the missing years and celebrate in advance their good fortune, drinking themselves to death.
Maybe. However, in other news:

Brits living abroad for more than 15 years get general election vote (bbc.com)
Old Jan 16th 2024, 9:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Maybe a lot of people buy the missing years and celebrate in advance their good fortune, drinking themselves to death. ....
Well, yeah, that's how insurance works - "many pay in to the pot, but not everyone receives a payout".

However I think the issue that Almost Canadian is alluding to is that you only need to receive a British state pension for about seven months to receive back 100% of your additional Class 2 contributions, which is so far short of average life expectancy, in the high 70's range, that I don't think that those dying before they can claim can possibly make the maths work.

What I think is more likely is that those of us making those voluntary Class 2 contributions are such a tiny percentage of the UK population that the effect on future payouts is barely noticeable. This is especially true when you consider that anyone with a degree who retires today, at age 66 will have paid full NI (approx 10% of salary up to £50k, and then there's employers NI on top, of approximately as much again) for 45 years, and anyone without a degree will have paid NI for 48 years, compared to the 35 years required for a full British state pension, so those numbers, for many millions of people dwarf the voluntary Class 2 contributions.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 16th 2024 at 9:32 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2024, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

RedChris is an unknown quantity at this point

Great thread which answers a lot of my questions!! I'll probably be back with more once I've sorted mine out.
Old Jan 17th 2024, 1:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well, yeah, that's how insurance works - "many pay in to the pot, but not everyone receives a payout".

However I think the issue that Almost Canadian is alluding to is that you only need to receive a British state pension for about seven months to receive back 100% of your additional Class 2 contributions, which is so far short of average life expectancy, in the high 70's range, that I don't think that those dying before they can claim can possibly make the maths work.
Yes, but that's the odd thing about it though.
The Insurance companies do it because they take in more than they pay out.
If life expectancy means that those paying in are taking more out and are of a significant majority, it might only be small change in the overall pot but it's a loss to the government/UK Taxpayer that they needn't commit to.

Probably the money saved by the government in not annually uprating pensions for those living in Canada is even smaller compared to the overall pot but they still won't unfreeze the money.