British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Top Reasons to Move (and Not Move) to Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/top-reasons-move-not-move-canada-932589/)

dbd33 May 17th 2020 2:55 am

Re: Top Reasons to Move (and Not Move) to Canada

Originally Posted by abner (Post 12854171)
To be fair, for variety the Buffalo TV news channels also throw in 3 alarm blazes in Cheektowaga. ;-)

For years, my father's standard euphemism for having a post-dinner nap in front of the tele was that he was "off to watch the houses burning in Buffalo".

Yeah but there's an underdog charm to Buffalo. I worked all over the US. commuting weekly, flying out of Buffalo (because the airport near Toronto isn't very good) and there was always fabulous camaraderie on the plane from the hub when they announced the weather at the destination. Shared misery is bonding.

I am I said May 18th 2020 3:56 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12854048)
We went to watch the houses on fire, that's probably not what most people think of as "nightlife". Irv Weinstein was our compere.

reminds me of the old joke about Channel 7 being indicted for starting 500 fires in Buffalo.

I am I said May 18th 2020 4:03 am

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12853956)
** snip** It is some interesting history including how as late as the 1980s, people from Toronto used to go to Buffalo for nightlife.

We used to go to Buffalo [or Niagara Falls, NY] in the 80s because booze was cheaper, and the bars were open later. I expect the traffic would have gone the other way if the situation was reversed. There used to be queues at the border at 1am once the Canadian bars closed. Plus, the bartenders were relaxed on checking ID. At one point, I **think** the drinking age was lower in the States, but that might have been the effect of the unchecked ID.

It was also a lot cheaper to watch the Buffalo Sabres lose, than it was to get the same result with the Maple Leafs.

abner May 18th 2020 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick (Post 12854022)
I guess the weather is a personal preference thing...Actually like the snow and frost, there are many 'high pressure' clear and sunny and very cold days, which we quite like.

That's the secret of "real" winter: it's actually better to be well below zero, and dry, rather than at near-zero, with a humid atmosphere and slush underfoot. As long as one is clothed properly, the former is quite pleasant.

Mind you, there *is* a point at which "it's actually better to be well below zero" turns into "it's just too f***ing cold", though such instances are increasingly rare in this era of global warming.

But I still remember as a child, just how blistering the cold was walking to school one day in -55 degree weather (Fahrenheit, but at that point Fahrenheit vs Celsius scarcely matters). I doubt such a trek would be allowed these days, but then, so few children actually walk to school anymore.

cxx May 19th 2020 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12854160)
I think that's just because we're old. The one daughter still in Canada is shopping for a first house and hoping not to have to spend more than 1.75, that seems a ridiculous amount to me but I expect my parents were aghast at me splashing out half a million Canadian on a house. None of these numbers is enough to buy my mother's modest house at home though they might land an ex-council semi. Inflation, innit?

If only the salaries rose at the same rate :-(

sainath99 Nov 21st 2020 11:52 am

Canada, most people wish to settle there, whether it is for a high-income job or a stable long term career, Canada is indeed a choice of many individuals

Danny B Nov 23rd 2020 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by sainath99 (Post 12938107)
Canada, most people wish to settle there, whether it is for a high-income job or a stable long term career, Canada is indeed a choice of many individuals

You must be thinking of Japan. Canada had almost 8% unemployment in September 2020.
Don't move to Canada unless you have a job waiting for you is my advice.

Tangram Nov 24th 2020 3:30 pm

Snow and ......

Snow

Former Lancastrian Nov 24th 2020 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 12939130)
Snow and ......

Snow

Don't forget the wind chill and ice pellets as you are stood at an uncovered bus stop waiting for a bus that should have arrived 10 minutes ago.

Zaij Nov 27th 2020 11:30 pm

Are mosquitoes a thing in southern Ontario? Two in our family always get bitten way more than the other two, with really bad reactions. They wouldn't be happy if we were planning a move to mosquito land🦟:thumbdown:

Siouxie Nov 27th 2020 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Zaij (Post 12940516)
Are mosquitoes a thing in southern Ontario? Two in our family always get bitten way more than the other two, with really bad reactions. They wouldn't be happy if we were planning a move to mosquito land🦟:thumbdown:

Indeed they are - and black fly, midges, horse / deer flies and 'no see ums' - but only during certain months and it's possible to avoid most of them, depending on where in Ontario you live :)

Zaij Nov 27th 2020 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12940520)
Indeed they are - and black fly, midges, horse / deer flies and 'no see ums' - but only during certain months and it's possible to avoid most of them, depending on where in Ontario you live :)

Boooo.....I'm guessing the nearer you are to water the worse it is? We were looking at Hamilton Siouxie:D

Siouxie Nov 28th 2020 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Zaij (Post 12940522)
Boooo.....I'm guessing the nearer you are to water the worse it is? We were looking at Hamilton Siouxie:D

Which just happens to be where I (and a few other members) live :D
Where in Hamilton are you looking? There are some areas that are better than others..

Stagnant / still water is a haven for mosquitos.. they don't like moving water so much, nor the breezes coming off the lake - but they do seem to like hanging around trees and bushes, coming out when the sun starts to go down.. :)
If you have a back yard (garden) and seem to get a lot of mosquitos I recommend buying a sun shelter / gazebo with mosquito netting, get some citronella candles and some good mosquito spray. .
There didn't seem to be as many mosquitos this summer / autumn and I didn't get one bite.
https://www.trulynolen.ca/mosquitoes...during-summer/
https://www.trulynolen.ca/how-achiev...rd-summer-fun/

Zaij Nov 28th 2020 9:55 pm

Yes I've been lurking a few months now, and have seen there are a few of you Hamiltonians on here. In fact you're all probably the reason I looked there in the first place and now have a job offer there☺️ But we're not at that stage yet of choosing specifics; still deciding whether to move or not and threads like this are so helpful. I will definitely start a post asking "where in Hamilton can I avoid mosi bites" closer to the time! Thank you👍

BristolUK Nov 28th 2020 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12940624)
There didn't seem to be as many mosquitos this summer / autumn

You too?
I didn't see any at all and didn't feel any when too late. SD had a few bites but not many considering she was often in the grass tending her raised beds.