British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Top Reasons to Move (and Not Move) to Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/top-reasons-move-not-move-canada-932589/)

Jerseygirl Nov 28th 2020 10:32 pm

Re: Top Reasons to Move (and Not Move) to Canada

I’ve had a few mozzie bites this summer. Worse than mozzie bites are deer flies...much worse. I seem to be a bug magnet...mozzie bites can last for a couple of months.

OrangeMango Nov 30th 2020 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by sainath99 (Post 12938107)
Canada, most people wish to settle there, whether it is for a high-income job or a stable long term career, Canada is indeed a choice of many individuals

Except for that crisis in the 60ies in Quebec and the 2 referendums, Canda is indeed a safe and predictable country to settle in. And even if the job is not high income once can choose to live in a very rural area, where property is cheap and still there is a lot of space and strong and good neighbourhoods....

The UK is a very uncertain place these days, with Brexit and the un-clarity of the future trade arrangements plus Scotland most likely leaving at some point, who knows where Britain ends up....

DigitalGhost Jan 18th 2021 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12938828)
You must be thinking of Japan. Canada had almost 8% unemployment in September 2020.
Don't move to Canada unless you have a job waiting for you is my advice.

Very few people obtain highly paid and long term employment in Japan these days, trust me. Unless you're on a really cushy expat number, some of the wages there are horrendously low especially when compared with the cost of living and the number of working hours involved. Working poverty is a huge societal issue in Japan, arguably worse than it is in the low skill gig economies of the US, Canada and the UK.

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 12941460)
Plus Scotland most likely leaving at some point, who knows where Britain ends up....

Whilst I agree the UK is in a precarious situation atm, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions on that one. IMHO the only way you would really see huge support for Scottish independence is if they were all but promised EU membership in return and that is highly unlikely to happen.

OrangeMango Jan 18th 2021 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12960464)
Whilst I agree the UK is in a precarious situation atm, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions on that one. IMHO the only way you would really see huge support for Scottish independence is if they were all but promised EU membership in return and that is highly unlikely to happen.

I hope you are correct on this. Scottish independence would in my opinion be an even dumber answer to the dumb Brexit, but these things are rarely rational. Yes, I noticed that the UK government recently awarded defence contracts to businesses in Scotland, so economically the independence questions won't be easy, and fiscally it would even be worse for Scotland.

It's often easy to underestimate the UK, also the history is long and illustrious and the country has been through so much more than Canada has. That's an interesting thought. The act of union in the UK is over 300 years old, Canada is barely little more than 150 years old....

I am more than happy that at least in Canada the sovereignty question in Quebec seems settled, even though some like to revive it at any time.....

kate8kate0 Jan 20th 2021 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12849628)
Top reason to move to Canada? ..... "We couldn't get into the US". :rofl: :getcoat:

haha +1. yes.

DigitalGhost Jan 21st 2021 10:02 am

Originally Posted by kate8kate0 (Post 12961921)
haha +1. yes.

I think that's a very, very common one, especially for some nationalities.

When I first got to Toronto years ago I spent a month living with a couple from South East Asia who were only in Canada because they'd spent years in New York being hunted down by ICE and made a last ditch attempt at the northern border whilst they still had the option. They seem to have done quite well for themselves since they got to Canada though and had the kind of life I can't imagine many illegals would be able to obtain in the US.

AJ_2021 Mar 19th 2021 1:37 pm

I have a friend who has moved from a populated and busy area of the UK to the easier going part of West Wales. He was able to transfer jobs (public service on the same pay) and of course it's a LOT CHEAPER to live in that part of the country. He and his family have bought a great big house (far nicer than his old house) in a Village setting near to the coast. His children are in a lovely village school. He has money to spend for holidays and about 30 days annual leave.

What I am trying to say is this. Sometimes you need to look on your doorstep first at the opportunities and ways of improving 'quality of life' and disposable income. Moving abroad doesn't necessarily fix things, especially if you are having to moving from an expensive city in the UK to... an expensive city in Canada. Like for like in many ways with an added cost having to up sticks and added negatives like colder climate, no friends or family etc etc. There are pros but whether they outweigh the cons and initial outlay is a matter of personal preference.

​​​​Life is what you make of it and it all depends if you fancy an adventure or whether you are looking for more.

It's no surprise that so many on working holidays stay. They settle with very little initial risk and build up a network of friends through their travels, house sharing and casual jobs. Emigrating lock stock and barrel as an older person with financial responsibilities and maybe a family will be a completely different scenario.