Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Top Reasons to Move (and Not Move) to Canada

Top Reasons to Move (and Not Move) to Canada

Old May 9th 2020, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

TheWorldIsMyOyster has a reputation beyond reputeTheWorldIsMyOyster has a reputation beyond reputeTheWorldIsMyOyster has a reputation beyond reputeTheWorldIsMyOyster has a reputation beyond reputeTheWorldIsMyOyster has a reputation beyond reputeTheWorldIsMyOyster has a reputation beyond reputeTheWorldIsMyOyster has a reputation beyond reputeTheWorldIsMyOyster has a reputation beyond reputeTheWorldIsMyOyster has a reputation beyond reputeTheWorldIsMyOyster has a reputation beyond reputeTheWorldIsMyOyster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top Reasons to Move (and Not Move) to Canada

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
That is a question I cannot honestly answer. There is the option to move back at anytime seeing I have dual citizenship. My question is Why would I want to move back? I will shortly be retirement age so looking for a job would not be high on my priority list if I chose to move back. My parents live in Canada and I have 2 adult children both in Canada. Yes I have cousins, nephews, nieces still in the UK that I haven't seen or spoken to in 32 years so close family is also not a reason.
For every positive I could find to move back I could equally find a negative. I own a nice condo here and wonder if I could even get a similar property in the UK for the same price? Too many what ifs and buts for me to consider and at the moment no desire to move back but could if I wanted to.

Btw, you mentioned something about a sane government that actually works. I'm really interested in that. Can you elaborate?
Old May 9th 2020, 1:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
No, you go do it. This site is littered with about a gazillion examples.

Back on topic, a reason for not moving here is the difficulty in communication consequent upon the lack of common expressions. At work recently I was asked if someone was likely to complete a project he had undertaken "nah" I said "he's all mouth and trousers". There was silence on the phone. I tried "all hat and no cattle" but it was plain that no one was familiar with the idiom. "All fur coat and no knickers" evoked laughter but no better understanding..

Abroad can be a lonely place. Conversation doesn't flow easily.

Old May 9th 2020, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

TheWorldIsMyOyster has a reputation beyond reputeTheWorldIsMyOyster has a reputation beyond reputeTheWorldIsMyOyster has a reputation beyond reputeTheWorldIsMyOyster has a reputation beyond reputeTheWorldIsMyOyster has a reputation beyond reputeTheWorldIsMyOyster has a reputation beyond reputeTheWorldIsMyOyster has a reputation beyond reputeTheWorldIsMyOyster has a reputation beyond reputeTheWorldIsMyOyster has a reputation beyond reputeTheWorldIsMyOyster has a reputation beyond reputeTheWorldIsMyOyster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Typically though Tornados in Ontario are more of a "once in a generation" event, rather than an annual reality that you hope not to get caught up in. I don't recall ever doing a tornado drill at work in Ontario. Down here thats a real thing on the schedule now.
Googling tornadoes in Canada
Old May 9th 2020, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DarwinCharles
We're Brit Canadian but not lived in Canada yet. My brother in Law gets to go because of my sister but it's me and him with the passion for something different. We've been in Calgary and Edmonton only but the house size, space and nature was enough to put up with the cons of Calgary being stuck in the 90s.
Didn't find many greasy cafes which I'll miss or the amazing food choice we have here everywhere.. especially as I love the veggie choice here. Having said that for aroynd the same cost.. The space alone would be mentally healthier for all of us. We get a lot of rain in our part of the UK so we're stuck in Oct to end March anyway.

Darwen
So...you're moving?
Old May 9th 2020, 1:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheWorldIsMyOyster
It's usual to see them here, minor ones, "dirtnados" the locals call them. About once a year there's a tornado that destroys buildings and occasionally, maybe once a decade, there are very serious ones "the Barrie tornado" is an example. Still, it's not Nebraska, no one has a shelter or makes other precautions.
Old May 9th 2020, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't take you long. There was one nr Ottawa a couple of years back that flattened several houses. Had a tornado warning a couple of times last year in London area, although none touched down.
Old May 9th 2020, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Btw, you mentioned something about a sane government that actually works. I'm really interested in that. Can you elaborate?
Sure you have the right poster? I have only made 5 posts in this thread and not one of them talks about a sane government that actually works.
Old May 9th 2020, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
For me the number 1 reason was that i could earn lot more money in Canada doing the same job ...second was the myth that quality of life is better for kids/family etc.
i went back to the UK in 2014..then came back to Canada at the end of 2016 for the same reason as number 1..it was the best bet to gain financially security for when i finally retire and go back home in 20 years.

don't get me wrong i enjoy living in Canada but i equally enjoyed living in the UK as well
Oh I'd be interested in a clarificationof that myth as I have a child. So quality of life is on par with the UK? Is that province-specific or nationwide?
Old May 9th 2020, 2:52 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I'd be interested in a clarificationof that myth as I have a child. So quality of life is on par with the UK? Is that province-specific or nationwide?
Quality of life is surely defined by what makes you happy, which will mean entirely different things to different people.
Old May 9th 2020, 4:36 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Shouldn't take you long. There was one nr Ottawa a couple of years back that flattened several houses. Had a tornado warning a couple of times last year in London area, although none touched down.
Ontario averages around 12 Tornadoes a year.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/tornadoes

Third Ottawa tornado inside year a "statistical anomaly:" Environment Canada
June 3, 2019
https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...onment-canada/
Interesting - from 2009...
Despite the absence of prolonged heat and humidity this summer, Ontario faced some of the deadliest and most destructive tornadoes in its history. It was a long tornado season, beginning on April 25 and ending on September 28. Ontario witnessed 29 tornadoes in 2009 which tied the record for the most tornadoes in one year set in 2006.
https://ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/defau...n&n=627B5C83-1

Last edited by Siouxie; May 9th 2020 at 4:40 pm.
Old May 9th 2020, 5:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DarwinCharles
This is so interesting. My ex MIL has trouble affording health care and her co pay can be a struggle too. I wonder if this would help her.

Thanks for this info.
Maybe, maybe not. It works best if you are younger and are not a heavy user of healthcare services yet. If you are already a heavy use, and/or close to retirement, while using "high deductible insurance" and salting money away in an HSA might work, the benefits aren't as great as if you had started younger. ..... And there is the "first year problem" when you switch to high deductible insurance - if you have a big claim in the first year you don't have any savings yet to draw on to meet the "high deductible".

Last edited by Pulaski; May 9th 2020 at 6:18 pm.
Old May 9th 2020, 6:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The sun is also one factor, not a big factor but it's there. A few years ago, I didn't see the sun for more than a month. I'd go to work at 7 before the sun rose and finish work at 5.30 after thr sun has set. Gales every weekend. The darkness was grim.
Well, short winter sunlight hours can aso be also a factor here, but at least most weekends although its cold it will probably be Sunny. Unless you make plans of course, in which case a storm will mess with them
Old May 9th 2020, 7:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

That was me, and I was comparing to the US. Hopefully I dont have to explain how abjectly dysfunctional politics there is and how utterly crap Trump is?

Government is relative, sometimes you don't know when you have a good thing. Canada has a good thing.

Last edited by iaink; May 9th 2020 at 7:10 pm.
Old May 9th 2020, 7:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

As the poster that raised healthcare in this thread I was certainly not under the impression it is "free" in any way in either Canada or the UK. My point was simply that its a not inconsiderable expense even with insurance, and that it was incomprehensible to me that my employer pays more for healthcare premiums every year than I paid in total taxes in Canada, which of course funds healthcare provision and so much more.

Dont get my wife started on the level of service as a "woman of a certain age" either. Shes spitting daggers about her experience, but thats a whole other can of worms.
Old May 9th 2020, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Back on topic, a reason for not moving here is the difficulty in communication consequent upon the lack of common expressions. At work recently I was asked if someone was likely to complete a project he had undertaken "nah" I said "he's all mouth and trousers". There was silence on the phone. I tried "all hat and no cattle" but it was plain that no one was familiar with the idiom. "All fur coat and no knickers" evoked laughter but no better understanding..

Abroad can be a lonely place. Conversation doesn't flow easily.
That made me laugh. This week I had another example of asking someone a question, pretty damned specific as well, and they wrote back with a wonderful answer to a completely different question. Happens so many times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.