Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Top Reasons to Move (and Not Move) to Canada

Top Reasons to Move (and Not Move) to Canada

Old May 7th 2020, 5:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top Reasons to Move (and Not Move) to Canada

Originally Posted by Pulaski
This was the view from my home office, about six weeks ago, before the trees leafed-out.

Most of what you can see is ours, except the far distance on the very left, but we own a lot more out of the picture, around to the right.
Do you get many tornados there? Never really worried about that in Canada, but here every time there is a thunderstorm I wonder why my house here doesnt have a basement. We have had at least 2 touch down "locally" in the last couple of weeks, one was on the ground for over 30 miles. People killed. Sobering.
Old May 7th 2020, 5:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Do you get many tornados there? ..... .
Not that I've ever worried about. There was a fairly serious one in Charlotte, NC a couple of months ago, that caused some serious damage, but mostly only to trees, and seeing an 18" (45cm) pine snapped off like a matchstick is sobering to see, but mostly they're pip-squeaks. The nearest ones I know of to Pulaski Manor were one that ripped a few tree limbs off on a farm a few miles away, and one that wandered across a parking lot, remove some guttering from a supermarket roof and then drifted down the road and into a field.

Bizarrely we have a "cellar", which is only accessible from outside the house - it's not fully dug out, so it isn't high enough for me to stand along the whole width or lenght, and has a dirt floor, but the builder probably did about 75% of the work reuired to have a great basement that would have been the entire footprint of the house, but just didn't finish the job.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 7th 2020 at 5:23 pm.
Old May 7th 2020, 5:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you get many tornados there? Never really worried about that in Canada, but here every time there is a thunderstorm I wonder why my house here doesnt have a basement. We have had at least 2 touch down "locally" in the last couple of weeks, one was on the ground for over 30 miles. People killed. Sobering.
The previous house on this site was carried away by a tornado. There's a pattern of newer houses and barns across the countryside along the path.
Old May 7th 2020, 6:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The previous house on this site was carried away by a tornado. There's a pattern of newer houses and barns across the countryside along the path.
Typically though Tornados in Ontario are more of a "once in a generation" event, rather than an annual reality that you hope not to get caught up in. I don't recall ever doing a tornado drill at work in Ontario. Down here thats a real thing on the schedule now.
Old May 7th 2020, 6:56 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vjcmacrury
As someone who is used to a max of -5, that seems intimidating. I reckon you get used to it though, don't you?
NO
Old May 7th 2020, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

DarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond repute

We're Brit Canadian but not lived in Canada yet. My brother in Law gets to go because of my sister but it's me and him with the passion for something different. We've been in Calgary and Edmonton only but the house size, space and nature was enough to put up with the cons of Calgary being stuck in the 90s.
Didn't find many greasy cafes which I'll miss or the amazing food choice we have here everywhere.. especially as I love the veggie choice here. Having said that for aroynd the same cost.. The space alone would be mentally healthier for all of us. We get a lot of rain in our part of the UK so we're stuck in Oct to end March anyway.

Darwen
Old May 7th 2020, 7:36 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

For me the number 1 reason was that i could earn lot more money in Canada doing the same job ...second was the myth that quality of life is better for kids/family etc.
i went back to the UK in 2014..then came back to Canada at the end of 2016 for the same reason as number 1..it was the best bet to gain financially security for when i finally retire and go back home in 20 years.

don't get me wrong i enjoy living in Canada but i equally enjoyed living in the UK as well
Old May 7th 2020, 7:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
NO

It is snowing here. It won't settle but it is snow in May.
Old May 8th 2020, 12:31 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Did you at least get to choose a country or did they spring it on you?
we wanted Cambodia but they misheard us
Old May 8th 2020, 1:21 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Top reason to move to Canada? ..... "We couldn't get into the US".
"Many a true word is spoken in jest" Actually quite true for me, well, previous employer. Long story short, US didn't really want quite a few of us relocating to the US office. Canada seemed more than happy for us to open an office and relocate people there. So that's how I ended up in Canada.
Old May 8th 2020, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

This is one thing we have a lot of practice with. My closest cousin is in London. The rest of my family are in the Philippines, Australia, Austria, the US and Canada.

My husband's live in the Scottish Highlands and Islands whilst we ourselves are in mainland Scotland.

To visit anybody, we need to take a 1-hr flight or go on a long drive (and then a ferry).

We've not seen anybody since Christmas.
Well, if a one-hour flight for you is a long way away, distances in Canada will come as a nasty shock. Your definition of a "long drive" is also going to change.

When we were deciding where to live post-Middle East, my wife was open to moving there, but I was not. As others noted the equation changes if the US is also an option. I have relatives in Quebec but my wife does not speak French. I have lived in Seattle; Seattle > Vancouver. Toronto is just Buffalo or Cleveland on steroids. Denver > Calgary. The Maritimes are OK but too remote; I didn't want to be a 12-hour drive from the closest city with more than a million people. Now, take that, and throw in the lower average salaries than the US, and the obscene winters, and it's a no-go.

If it's a straight-up UK vs Canada pick, then treat it like a business deal. How much more money are you getting? Will moving there let you retire a few years earlier or buy a holiday property? Etc etc etc.

So in short money and lifestyle are the deal-breakers.
Old May 8th 2020, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
There are several countries but I have dealt with one in particular which shall remain nameless less I be accused of being racist etc even though the evidence and facts support this. In these particular cases the removal order is not permanent and they could always reapply for PR status once removed back to their country.
Just say it. I am also curious as to the legal aspect of what you are describing.

You're not a racist.

Don't let a handful of extremist posters bully you off making a contribution to the thread.

Old May 8th 2020, 3:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Regarding US salaries being higher, although I am paid significantly more, I am not better off. Medical expenses alone here are stupendous, both my monthly insurance copay, and the amount I need to cover in deductables and out of pocket expenses before my in$$$urance starts to pick up all the cost. On a side note my employers contribution to pay for my family health insurance is significantly more then my ENTIRE federal and provincial government tax and EI deductions when I lived in Canada, which I find mind blowing. Then I pay $650 a month out of my check on top of that each month, and still have to cover over $6k a year expenses. And Im told by others that I have a very generous package!

None of which has much to do with Canada. Carry on...
Old May 8th 2020, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It is snowing here. It won't settle but it is snow in May.
It was here in Ottawa this morning but it barely settled and it is all gone now. Pretty late in the year for it.
Old May 8th 2020, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding US salaries being higher, although I am paid significantly more, I am not better off. Medical expenses alone here are stupendous, both my monthly insurance copay, and the amount I need to cover in deductables and out of pocket expenses before my in$$$urance starts to pick up all the cost. On a side note my employers contribution to pay for my family health insurance is significantly more then my ENTIRE federal and provincial government tax and EI deductions when I lived in Canada, which I find mind blowing. Then I pay $650 a month out of my check on top of that each month, and still have to cover over $6k a year expenses. And Im told by others that I have a very generous package!

None of which has much to do with Canada. Carry on...
Good points though. I often say that it's not the country that makes the difference but more the timing, at least when it comes to employment and especially property. Example: A good job during the boom often means you pay more for eveything else, so every few years you see people move to higher cost countries, they end up buying and have a huge mortgage, they lose their job and the country is crap, or have high rents and can't save. Others move when the economy is not great, but they have a job and can save (low mortgage/low rents. Unless you love the country, it mainly comes down to what you can afford and then the "lifestyle" will be great. Of course personal things play a part too.

Last edited by Moses2013; May 8th 2020 at 4:22 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.