Tools!

Old Jun 18th 2011, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

Geordie86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tools!

Afternoon all!

I have recently shipped quite a bit of stuff over from the UK to YVR via transglobal express (using DHL Air express I think...) at a relatively cheap cost.

The next things I require to ship are a few tools which I own; these are not necessarily for commercial use, but rather to keep in the garage etc. (Just basically spanners, socket set, screwdrivers and a few others)

Has anyone shipped such items? I know they can be a bit funny regarding the whole commercial thing and duty taxes...so just wanted some opinions! I really dont want to pay duty on them...

And before someone mentions buying them in Canada....its top of the range gear I have and would cost a small fortune to purchase

These ones were bought compliments of my employer....

Thanks guys!
Old Jun 19th 2011, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tools!

Originally Posted by Geordie86
Afternoon all!

I have recently shipped quite a bit of stuff over from the UK to YVR via transglobal express (using DHL Air express I think...) at a relatively cheap cost.

The next things I require to ship are a few tools which I own; these are not necessarily for commercial use, but rather to keep in the garage etc. (Just basically spanners, socket set, screwdrivers and a few others)

Has anyone shipped such items? I know they can be a bit funny regarding the whole commercial thing and duty taxes...so just wanted some opinions! I really dont want to pay duty on them...

And before someone mentions buying them in Canada....its top of the range gear I have and would cost a small fortune to purchase

These ones were bought compliments of my employer....

Thanks guys!
Hi there,

There is a thread on this very subject on page 3. (Anyone flown tools over?).
You may find what you need there.

Cheers
Old Jun 19th 2011, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

northerndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nice

Just box em up and send them over! Thats all I did, I marked every box with contents etc and marked them up with "DIY hand tools".

I had some other "less desirable" stuff and they didnt blink an eye.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 1:32 am
Just Joined

Geordie86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds good, thanks!

I mean, whats the worst that could happen....!
Old Jun 19th 2011, 3:37 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie86
They either are or they are not. If you say that to Customs they will assume the tools are for commercial use and charge you tax and duty.

Were they on your goods to follow list? If so, you will probably be OK. However, if you are a tradesman and are importing professional quality tools you should work out what you are going to say to customs before they ask.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

stuham33 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a mechanic and imported all of tools, to be honest I didn't even think about any tax implications and they passed through ok.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

DoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant future

Hi,
I posted a similar thread a couple of days ago regarding flying tools over. We have to do this as my OH is going to need them sooner than the shipment arrives, as he is a mechanic. We are trying to get prices at the moment for flying them over. My question is to the other mechanic who said he boxed them and sent them over, did you then buy an empty tool chest on arrival to work from cos we were thinking of doing same but obviously not very professional to arrive at new employers with boxes of tools. We are planning on shipping the tool chest separately. Too costly to fly the entire chest with the tools. Anyone any thoughts???? Deffo too expensive to buy all the tools again in Canada as OH has a seriously expensive range of tools and unusual tools that he might not be able to replace. Thanks all.