Reload this Page >

Too old to carry on with PR???

Too old to carry on with PR???

Old Oct 8th 2012, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

ste1070 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Too old to carry on with PR???

Hi,
I have been on with progressing my PR for a year or two now. Did my IELTS earlier this year, sold property to raise funds etc etc. We were all geared up to submit in July when we were all hit with the suspension of accepting applications until early 2013.

I have just turned 42 so gonna be looking at 43/44 possibly when we can get out there (looking at BC).

I am an electrician so hopefully still in demand but I am getting concerned about getting too old to make this big move.

Thoughts please??

Many thanks,

Steve
Old Oct 8th 2012, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Too old to carry on with PR???

We moved when I was 49 and my hubby was 50, so no you're not too old
Old Oct 8th 2012, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sheffield UK - Victoria BC bound (one day, in a galaxy far, far away...)
witchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ste1070
Hi,
I have been on with progressing my PR for a year or two now. Did my IELTS earlier this year, sold property to raise funds etc etc. We were all geared up to submit in July when we were all hit with the suspension of accepting applications until early 2013.

I have just turned 42 so gonna be looking at 43/44 possibly when we can get out there (looking at BC).
Nah - not too old - we are around the same age - though did feel a lot younger when we first attempted to move over, back in 2008!!

My only concern is my little one - felt quite relaxed at moving when she was 2-3 yrs, but can see she is getting more attached to friends every year that passes....but then, kids do tend to adapt...

Anyway, back to you: I say go for it - early 40's is not too old IMO - especially as we'll all prob have to work well into our 70's at this rate!

Best of luck with it all....
Old Oct 8th 2012, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ste1070
... I am getting concerned about getting too old to make this big move.
You're only as old as you feel - says he, aged 48 and moving in a week's time to NS.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

I was 49 when I moved over 5 years ago.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 6:00 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

things are changing though for older applicants
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...in-Canada.html
Old Oct 8th 2012, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

We're currently 46 and 47. I was 42 when we first thought about emigration to Canada, so same as you.

There are no doubt some issues, like our parents are older (might need more trips back to the UK) and I'm sure other posters will come up with some more negatives.

On the positive side - while we don't have a lot of earning potential, we do have a lot more capital behind us than when we were younger. A lot more life experience too, for what it's worth!

I think there are positives and negatives to emigration when young and when not-so-young.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 8:18 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I say you were too old to have to start all over again unless you're just planning to retire. You’ll start at the bottom of the ladder. If you were an academic where you could just pick up at the same level it'd be okay but you have effectively only ten or so years to work doing that sort of physical labour. Save you energy and come over when you retire.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

you are not too old. I was 49 and OH was 52 when we moved here.

You are only as old as you feel
Old Oct 8th 2012, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Deeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to all

Ditto; I was 45 and my OH turned 52 a week after landing in Jan this year. We also came with older kids ( then 17 & 12 ) and a dog.
We are all having a blast and have no regrets...youngest is as Canadian as maple syrup already.

We were very well prepared though and did have a good financial cushion...it is frightening how quickly the bank balance depletes on arrival

It's tough to leave elderly relatives but it's quite liberating and also very exciting to start again at our ages. Good luck to you.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute

I was 50 when we arrived and my husband was 46. We gave up good jobs and didn't have jobs to come to. He found work after 4 weeks and I started work after a few months. We both felt it was something we wanted to do and if it all went pear shaped at least we had tried. We bought a house recently which we are renovating and feel quite settled. If its something you want the give it a go. I've met a few BE people here and all are "mature"
Old Oct 8th 2012, 11:22 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Too old at 42/43/44?? You've got to be kidding! Go for it!
Old Oct 8th 2012, 11:42 pm
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Ditto all of the above (except Oink's answer ).

We were 42 and 43 when we started the ball rolling in 2007 but didn't actually move here until this July (so now 47 and 48 ) and have a strapping 17 year old son who is loving it. Hubby got a job in the first week, son is settling in well and much prefers the schooling here (much more his style, less academic, more practical) and I've met some VERY nice friends too, who (like Reidies stated) are more mature (but great fun). Yes, there are issues 'back home' like ageing parents and missing family and friends but I say you only live once. Try it....you may just enjoy the experience (and if you don't, you can always go back).

Just my tuppence worth....
Old Oct 9th 2012, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Moved over one week before my 46th birthday. Loving it. Your never to old to start a new chapter in life.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

Yasmina2005 will become famous soon enoughYasmina2005 will become famous soon enough

These are all good and positive answers. But, It is hard to start looking for a job in Canada especially that the mentality here is they do not care much about your degrees and previous professional experience even when you are in your 30s let alone if you are in your 40s?!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.