too old

Old Mar 25th 2011, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: too old

When I was in the UK I used to think that I was too old.

Since coming to Canada, I have met many active people in their 70s and 80s, many of them still working.

I am often called "young man" and to be honest I feel younger than I did in the UK.

I still intend to retire when I am 60, but many of these older people think I am crazy. They say if they stopped working they would not know what to do with themselves (I have more imagination I guess).

I admit that the novelty of frigid temperatures and inordinate amounts of snow in the winter and searing heat and blood thirsty insects in the summer has worn a bit thin (i didn't even go in the pool last summer as I knew the mozzies were just waiting for me).

There are still many other things to enjoy. Last year I made a friend who was fond of hiking up montains I went a few times. Thankfully he has moved away now.

Now it does not seem like an adventure anymore, it is just my life. And Canada is my home.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 7:38 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britsnake
Last year I made a friend who was fond of hiking up montains I went a few times. Thankfully he has moved away now.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 7:45 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

yep I laughed at that bit too
Old Mar 25th 2011, 7:47 pm

plca is a jewel in the roughplca is a jewel in the roughplca is a jewel in the roughplca is a jewel in the roughplca is a jewel in the rough

me too - i just choked on my apple!

Old Mar 25th 2011, 8:04 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Given the amount of snow most of Canada gets and the need to shovel it from the drive and pavement, I wonder if it has a much higher percentage of senior citizens with broken hips? I couldn't find any data.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 8:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Given the amount of snow most of Canada gets and the need to shovel it from the drive and pavement, I wonder if it has a much higher percentage of senior citizens with broken hips? I couldn't find any data.
Only among those who don't have a snow blower.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 8:48 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

You can't get the actual data until after the snow melts
Old Mar 25th 2011, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jack 66;9264425]thinking of booking holiday in vancouver for 2weeks , with the view to moving for good . my wife is 35 and a nurse , I am 44 and a pipe welder with a two year old boy. Currently living in ireland , would rent house out for year or so , at my age am i mad.[/QUOTE

We moved over last June on my hubbys 46th birthday, I was 50.
we both found jobs and have no regrets.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

lindabey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jack 66
thinking of booking holiday in vancouver for 2weeks , with the view to moving for good . my wife is 35 and a nurse , I am 44 and a pipe welder with a two year old boy. Currently living in ireland , would rent house out for year or so , at my age am i mad.
Of course your not too old. We are in the process of moving out ourselves to Vancouver . My hubby is 52 and im 48 . good luck
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

retrobloke is on a distinguished road

We moved to Vancouver Island last October, I am 57 and wife is a bit younger!!

Its not a cheap option but if you can afford it, go for it.

Cheers

RB
Old Mar 26th 2011, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to sound too negative but I am going to anyway. When the novelty of frigid temperatures, the inordinate amount of snow, Tim Horton’s and shopping in the endless, endless strip-malls and the inane prattle about ice hockey wears thin and you look around to find that most of your financial security has been eroded and you haven’t seen your family in five years, remember that an interesting holiday may have been a better option to quench that thirst for adventure.
Where do you live? Are you sure you're "living the dream"?
Old Mar 26th 2011, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

thinking of booking holiday in vancouver for 2weeks , with the view to moving for good . my wife is 35 and a nurse , I am 44 and a pipe welder with a two year old boy. Currently living in ireland , would rent house out for year or so , at my age am i mad.
Not mad at all. As others have said, you're never too old for adventure. Life is short and you only live once.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

lizziem is on a distinguished road

we are moving to (somewhere) in ontario in july i'm 47 and other half is 54, we have a 9 year old son to keep us young, it is now or never.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

We are 43 and 50 years old and totally crazy...but thats why it will work out for us. we are go get 'em kind of people here and intend to keep that up when we get to Canada.

so to the OP i say go for it if you've got the balls......
Old Mar 26th 2011, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

You need to take into account how long it will take to get Landed Immigrant status. It can take 4 to 5 years, unless you can come in by some other route.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.