Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Too many nurses in Alberta

Too many nurses in Alberta

Old May 30th 2009, 2:33 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold
Default Too many nurses in Alberta

Hard to believe, but the Government of Alberta now believes there is a surplus of nurses in Alberta, and that there will be hardly any need to recruit foreign-trained nurses. See news story in the Edmonton Journal today.

This would explain why all the nursing jobs disappeared from the Capital Health Region website last week.

If you are currently being recruited to nurse in AB, you might want to make some enquiries.
Old May 30th 2009, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

DESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really nice
Default Re: Too many nurses in Alberta

Originally Posted by agr
Hard to believe, but the Government of Alberta now believes there is a surplus of nurses in Alberta, and that there will be hardly any need to recruit foreign-trained nurses. See news story in the Edmonton Journal today.

This would explain why all the nursing jobs disappeared from the Capital Health Region website last week.

If you are currently being recruited to nurse in AB, you might want to make some enquiries.
Oh dear What's going to happen to Alberta bound nurses then?

Last edited by DESERTFOX; May 30th 2009 at 4:23 pm.
Old May 30th 2009, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DESERTFOX
Oh dear What's going to happen to Alberta bound nurses then?
Too many nurses, is there such a thing?

Good heavens, if Canada doesn't want them then send them to Australia. We have chipmunks over here working in our hospitals because of the mass skill shortages Don't even get me started on the lack of Doctors!!
Old May 30th 2009, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phat-dave
Too many nurses, is there such a thing?

Good heavens, if Canada doesn't want them then send them to Australia. We have chipmunks over here working in our hospitals because of the mass skill shortages Don't even get me started on the lack of Doctors!!
I think it may have more do do with the fact that they CAN use more Nurses, they just don't want to pay them...hence the announcement....
Old May 31st 2009, 1:10 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

There were noises on the radio a couple of weeks ago about some of the smaller hospitals being closed - not sure how true the report is. Hasn't all the health regions changed to just one? Alberta Health???
Old May 31st 2009, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Bainesy36 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can only speak for the two hospital I have been in touch with, but there is a current ban on all external applicants, be them from Alberta or not. Unless you are currently already working in the hospital, there is little to no chance of getting a permanent/full time position. I am currently waiting to hear if they will take me on a casual basis or its off to IKEA to hand in my application form!
Old May 31st 2009, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

The was a report on CBC radio a couple of weeks ago that Canada is short 60,000 nurses.
Old May 31st 2009, 5:02 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bainesy36
I can only speak for the two hospital I have been in touch with, but there is a current ban on all external applicants, be them from Alberta or not. Unless you are currently already working in the hospital, there is little to no chance of getting a permanent/full time position. I am currently waiting to hear if they will take me on a casual basis or its off to IKEA to hand in my application form!
We can't even hire casual staff unless they are already on the books .... if that sounds a little odd, I (for instance), hope to be offered casual work when my temporary contract finishes next month. I had hoped to be offered one of two permanent postions, but as you say, there is an almost total freeze on right now. My managers say they are going to do all that they can to hang on to me, but I have already started looking out for alternatives.....

As to a surplus, not sure what the figures are for nurses, but we are 20% below fully staffed as physios..... the whole thing's becoming scary as well as ridiculous!

One BIG thing is that we are expecting an announcement next week from the new head, Dr S.D., that he wants to abandon site and departmental management, and go for program management. The first big effect of this will be that ALL our physio managers are likely to lose their jobs as programs are most likely to be managed by current nursing managers.
All other hirings etc are supposed to be "budget neutral" hence no external hirings!

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; May 31st 2009 at 5:22 am.
Old May 31st 2009, 5:36 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bainesy36
OK, whats your background? Can you manage till July when there may be something? Looking for 9-5 work? PM me and I may be able to help
Old May 31st 2009, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

ExcitedBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah this is really indeed hard to beleive! unheard of! BTW, in Montreal there is still room. I would imagine one would need to be fluent/functional in french though.

Originally Posted by agr

Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:20 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I just checked the jobs available through Alberta Health Services .... there are a total of Eight (8!) jobs advertised for the whole of Alberta .... when you consider that at any one time the jobs in Foothills Medical Centre, Calgary, alone are in three figures normally.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I just checked the jobs available through Alberta Health Services .... there are a total of Eight (8!) jobs advertised for the whole of Alberta .... when you consider that at any one time the jobs in Foothills Medical Centre, Calgary, alone are in three figures normally.
We was informed at our staff meeting that all job applications have to be agreed and signed off at VP level, prob why there are only 8 positions now. I had an interview for a permanent position with the team I'm at now and I have to wait until the post has been signed off until I hear if I got the job.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 2:45 am
little snowy owl

Originally Posted by boxerdog03
We was informed at our staff meeting that all job applications have to be agreed and signed off at VP level.
That's right, and did they also tell you that out of over one thousand posts that have been sent up for approval, only one has returned?
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Bainesy36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh well, at least at IKEA I'll hopefully get a discount that will help with the new house. (although with no job the rent might be interesting!!!) Better get filling in my application form!!!
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

PaulandDawn is on a distinguished road

I wondered where all the jobs disapeared to! One day there was tons of psychology and mental health clinican jobs to sift through, the the next there was none! Looks like I'll be working in Tim Hortons then! My mum will be pleased that her money to put me through my masters went to good use!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.