Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Told my parents......

Wikiposts

Told my parents......

Old Apr 16th 2013, 10:03 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Told my parents......

It’s your life and you’ve got to live it the way you see fit. This isn’t no dress rehearsal. They’re probably just jealous that they can’t experience the adventure of a new life so they don’t want you to succeed.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on their age and health there is always the super visa parent/grandparent where they could come across here for 2 years and even longer providing you want them here
Parental sponsorship is still on hold.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
This is the point in the proceedings where a swift slap should have been dealt out.
Agreed, although I was thinking more along the lines of "kick" and "backside"
Old Apr 16th 2013, 12:00 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

It's when you tell them that your thinking about moving back that surprises me...You don't want to do that the country has gone to the dogs etc
Old Apr 16th 2013, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

My family went hot and cold on us when we made the announcement...currently we're on cold!!!!
It was our decision for our immediate family, if we could have taken everybody with us we would have done but that wasn't possible and considering the way they are behaving at the moment thank goodness we have a whole ocean between us!!!

I did it for selfish reasons...yes!!! I wanted an adventure and to see whether my life would be better here. Well so far so good

We are in rural NS. Our 2nd son moved to Toronto before Christmas. We won't see much of him now because of the time it takes to get there. But that's ok, he's having his own adventure, I can't begrudge him that. At the end of the day we encouraged him to see the world as his playground so we would have serious double standards if we then had issues with him moving so far away!
Old Apr 16th 2013, 1:05 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Depending on their age and health there is always the super visa parent/grandparent where they could come across here for 2 years and even longer providing you want them here
Parental sponsorship is still on hold.
For sure! Though this isn't without family politics !
Old Apr 16th 2013, 1:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
My family went hot and cold on us when we made the announcement...currently we're on cold!!!!
It was our decision for our immediate family, if we could have taken everybody with us we would have done but that wasn't possible and considering the way they are behaving at the moment thank goodness we have a whole ocean between us!!!

I did it for selfish reasons...yes!!! I wanted an adventure and to see whether my life would be better here. Well so far so good

We are in rural NS. Our 2nd son moved to Toronto before Christmas. We won't see much of him now because of the time it takes to get there. But that's ok, he's having his own adventure, I can't begrudge him that. At the end of the day we encouraged him to see the world as his playground so we would have serious double standards if we then had issues with him moving so far away!
My daughter moved to Tower Hamlets (though she seems to spend half the year on holidays that would be absurdly exotic for someone living in Canada). I begrudge her that adventure. I wish I'd thought to throw a tantrum when she announced the plan.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

Wow ... that is quite a response!

I found that anger was the first reaction we got too, it was followed some time later by attempted bargaining to get us to stay, denial where we weren't allowed to mention the 'C word' (Canada that is ) and finally they accepted the move but were clearly unhappy at the thought of us all going.

Hopefully they will come around in time, good luck!
Old Apr 16th 2013, 1:19 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

So, you say you finally told them. No previous discussions about plans, dreams, ideas? Just out of the blue and gone in a couple of months? No wonder she is angry and upset.

People get mean when they think there is no way out. Talk to them, it is up to you to explain, blah, blah. Of course if they are always just plain mean then scarper as fast as you can.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Good lord! Is this true? I can hardly believe it.
oh you....
Old Apr 17th 2013, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
So, you say you finally told them. No previous discussions about plans, dreams, ideas? Just out of the blue and gone in a couple of months? No wonder she is angry and upset.
For most people, emigrating takes such a long time. I'm not sure how you just suddenly end up telling family or friends that you are going....to anyone reading this tale of woe now, start your prep early!

Surely there must be chats and discussions over dinner "Oh, I'd love to live in California/Vancouver/Thailand - just to try it" kind of thing.

Followed a few weeks later by "I was looking on the Canadian immigration website last night... did you know that .....", followed up with "We're going to visit Toronto in the summer - have a look around, see if we like it"

No-one will quite believe you are thinking about this as a reality - but you are planting some seeds - and then they can't claim ignorance or shock when you tell them your PR came through!

Just my tuppence worth - and I realise TWP and timescales are different - but people, still plant those seeds.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 8:49 am
Just Joined

warbs1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, and I thought my mother-in-laws response was bad! It's been no secret that we've been considering emigration for some time, but the husband told her we're definitely going this year last night... her response... it's my idea to go not my husbands, what about Jack's education (son), her health (I'm epileptic).. ya know because there aren't schools or doctors over there... so a bit of blackmail but we just roll our eyes and get on with it. My mum however is planning holidays, as is my brother, and friends! They don't want us to go but they respect our decision. I've yet to tell my dad it's definitely happening (visiting this weekend) and my Nan (she's 90 this year, in good health but there's a chance I won't see her again)... although her brother emigrated to Winnipeg in his youth so she can't really kick up too much of a stink (although Sunday could be interesting)... on the whole we've been lucky I guess. I hope your family come around eventually!
Old Apr 17th 2013, 8:57 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i sent my mum at text from the airport...job done
Old Apr 17th 2013, 10:08 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
For most people, emigrating takes such a long time. I'm not sure how you just suddenly end up telling family or friends that you are going....to anyone reading this tale of woe now, start your prep early!

Surely there must be chats and discussions over dinner "Oh, I'd love to live in California/Vancouver/Thailand - just to try it" kind of thing.

Followed a few weeks later by "I was looking on the Canadian immigration website last night... did you know that .....", followed up with "We're going to visit Toronto in the summer - have a look around, see if we like it"

No-one will quite believe you are thinking about this as a reality - but you are planting some seeds - and then they can't claim ignorance or shock when you tell them your PR came through!

Just my tuppence worth - and I realise TWP and timescales are different - but people, still plant those seeds.
Exactly so, how the chuff are they just hearing now?
Old Apr 17th 2013, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard that now a few times that people say they didn't tell until they actually did have PR or the TWP and then it was basically a final decision something down the line "we're off next week tara". Not sure if they want to know for sure they are accepted and don't want to have discussions and all the why do you want to move when in the end everything might fall through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.