Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tired of Waiting for Canada - Wife Gets A Job In the USA

Wikiposts

Tired of Waiting for Canada - Wife Gets A Job In the USA

Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:00 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tired of Waiting for Canada - Wife Gets A Job In the USA

Originally Posted by AdrianR
DW attends another job fair in late March 2011 and is offered a job near Houston - a three year contract, paid moving expenses and paid USA H1B visa application. Job to start on 1st August 2011, pending visa - an excellent offer, to be sure, and I can always go with her on an H4 visa and get under her feet whilst I am not allowed to work.
H-1B to be a regular school teacher? I didn't think that was possible. Or are you talking about an "institute of higher learning", which is possible?
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:12 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
H-1B to be a regular school teacher? I didn't think that was possible. Or are you talking about an "institute of higher learning", which is possible?
Wouldn't that be some sort of J visa, rather than an H?
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:22 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

You can be H-1B for an institute of higher learning, it can be renewed indefinitely as well unlike H-1B for other jobs. J-1 is used for it as well.

Good job you made me look it up, USCIS is reviewing the exemption apparently.

There in a nutshell is the reason why I will never ever work on a work permit ever again. You're at the mercy of your employer and the regulations changing.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
Wouldn't that be some sort of J visa, rather than an H?
A 'J' visa is for Exchange Visitors.

She is going on an H1-B as a Bilingual Generalist Teacher - these have been mandated as Specialty Occupations by the provisions of Title IX of the Civil Rights Act, and Title XV of the Education Amendments Act to allow states to provide non-discriminatory bilingual education.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:41 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

That is a very interesting bit of info, I didn't know that. J visas aren't just used for exchange visitors, or rather they are, but that includes college professors.

Does this mean she's still subject to the six-year limit?
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
That is a very interesting bit of info, I didn't know that. J visas aren't just used for exchange visitors, or rather they are, but that includes college professors.

Does this mean she's still subject to the six-year limit?
My daughter was on a J visa for a while, she wasn't an exchange visitor. I understood it to be usable for any position in a university.