Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tips for Ottawa move?

Tips for Ottawa move?

Old Sep 24th 2013, 9:16 am
Finding my Canadian Feet

AnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tips for Ottawa move?

Hello hello,

Well we're in the process of getting to Canada (me returning and hubby/daughter first timers). So that its new for both of us we've decided to go to Ottawa (I lived for many years in Calgary, AB).

Not knowing the city at all I thought I might pick some of the collective brains to see if there are any tips/thoughts out there. I've been doing lots of googling and sleuthing online but wonder if some horses mouths might not be useful

Could be about:
Transport (we won't have a car for at least 6 months)
Areas (looking primarily to head to Ottawa West)
Job searches (yes, we're going out there w/o a job to go to, I'm in accountancy - anyone recommend temp/placement agencies)
Things to do (both typical and off the wall)
Love/Hate things about the city

Thanking you in advance x
Old Sep 24th 2013, 9:35 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips for Ottawa move?

Originally Posted by AnneMarieC
Hello hello,

Well we're in the process of getting to Canada (me returning and hubby/daughter first timers). So that its new for both of us we've decided to go to Ottawa (I lived for many years in Calgary, AB).
x
That's really what made us move to the Maritimes, so that it's an adventure for us all.

Very best of luck; there are lots on here who know about Ottawa, and will we along to help...when are you planning to come, and how old is your daughter?
Old Sep 24th 2013, 9:57 am
Finding my Canadian Feet

AnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond repute

Never been to the Maritimes but hear it's gorgeous - definitely planning on a trip one day for hols!

We're aiming for mid/end November, once we get the AIP from Miss through then its all systems go to find flights, temp accom, and interviews for work for me once we land etc (hubby will be on visitor visa until he gets his COPR). Daughter is 19mths.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Check Kijiji or Craigslist to see if there any couch surfing opportunities at 24 Sussex Drive.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 3:04 pm
Finding my Canadian Feet

Sadly I already enquired there but all couches are currently occupied by coat-tailers. A shame really - I hear their chicken soup is lush.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 3:33 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello hello,

Not knowing the city at all I thought I might pick some of the collective brains to see if there are any tips/thoughts out there. I've been doing lots of googling and sleuthing online but wonder if some horses mouths might not be useful

Could be about:
Transport (we won't have a car for at least 6 months)
Areas (looking primarily to head to Ottawa West)
Job searches (yes, we're going out there w/o a job to go to, I'm in accountancy - anyone recommend temp/placement agencies)
Things to do (both typical and off the wall)

Thanking you in advance x
Public transportation is very good. There are excellent connections between buses and trains.

Ottawa West is quite big. Be more specific.

Things to do? Help us a bit. My typical may not be your typical. I hope for your sake that it isn't.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 4:11 pm
Finding my Canadian Feet

It's hard to be more specific when I've not been

I've been looking loosely around Nepean / Westboro / Carlington type areas but no idea what the demographic is like, or what would be considered a safe area or rough area etc. I'm your typical white middle class nervy bird (I currently live in Greenwich, London) so want to feel safe / like I could go out late at night.

As we won't have a car, and hubby will be a stay-at-home-dad initially, it'd be good to know what areas are more "family-friendly", or have good amenities close by (as opposed to living in Stittsville, for example, where it'd be better to have a car).

Hehe - hubbie and I are very eclectic in our "things to do" which is why I like throwing it out to the locals to see either what they would do, or where they would take, out of town guests - as well as what they'd consider off the wall things to do but that they enjoy. It's a nice way of getting a cross section of information and also seeing what's out there that isn't "typical tourist". So my question would be, to a local, what do YOU do around town that you enjoy? (Doesn't matter if it floats my boat or not, it's nice to know it goes on).
Old Sep 24th 2013, 4:45 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Out of curiosity Anne, coming from London, and being into the eclectic, public transport etc., why Ottawa and not say Toronto?
Old Sep 24th 2013, 4:51 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

What isn't there to do in Ottawa, there are museums and various attractions all over the place.

I really like Ottawa, but at the end of the day Calgary is more sunny and has lower taxes. House prices are really steep in Ottawa too.

why Ottawa and not say Toronto?
Because it's a much nicer place to live and has way less traffic! You can actually live in a house and commute to work in a reasonable amount of time!
Old Sep 24th 2013, 4:58 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

(as opposed to living in Stittsville, for example, where it'd be better to have a car).
My S-i-L & family live in Stittsville. It's not a bad place but you definately need a car. As a single person she lived in the Glebe which is a happening neighbourhood. Expensive though. (Which is why as a family they live in Stittsville now!)
Old Sep 24th 2013, 5:13 pm
Finding my Canadian Feet

Originally Posted by Shard
Out of curiosity Anne, coming from London, and being into the eclectic, public transport etc., why Ottawa and not say Toronto?
Not that interested in Toronto as its more of a "big city" which is why we're leaving London. Tbh we don't go out that much at all since having our daughter so we don't "need" to have lots to do, just nice to know what's about.

Interestingly, rental prices are much lower in Ottawa than Calgary atm - no doubt due to the horrendous flooding earlier this year causing alot of people to have to move out of their homes and into rental accom in the interim. I love Calgary and have some family and all my old friends there, but we really wanted to be somewhere brand new for the both of us to generate a life and not piggyback on my old one. But the flipside to the coin is that we're going in blind.

Once we have a car I can see us moving further out (ie Stittsville as a family) as the commute still seems reasonable. In London we're used to 45min+ commutes so Ottawa outskirts seems very doable. But for the foreseeable future we'll be dependent on public transport.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 5:31 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Not that interested in Toronto as its more of a "big city" which is why we're leaving London. Tbh we don't go out that much at all since having our daughter so we don't "need" to have lots to do, just nice to know what's about.

Interestingly, rental prices are much lower in Ottawa than Calgary atm - no doubt due to the horrendous flooding earlier this year causing alot of people to have to move out of their homes and into rental accom in the interim. I love Calgary and have some family and all my old friends there, but we really wanted to be somewhere brand new for the both of us to generate a life and not piggyback on my old one. But the flipside to the coin is that we're going in blind.

Once we have a car I can see us moving further out (ie Stittsville as a family) as the commute still seems reasonable. In London we're used to 45min+ commutes so Ottawa outskirts seems very doable. But for the foreseeable future we'll be dependent on public transport.

That makes sense. Especially the completely new place thing. Young family does tend to transform social life and activities!

I was surprised to read Steve's comment that Ottawa property is more expensive than Calgary's, I thought it was vice-versa.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 5:38 pm
Finding my Canadian Feet

Not sure about buying as I've not been looking at that - but renting it definitely is vice-versa ... I was doing a price comparison on them a few months ago when Calgary was still on the table.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 10:00 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Areas - If you are going to bus it then I would read up on the various routes and plan that into the accommodation search

Job searches - anyone recommend temp/placement agencies - Robert Half Technologies were the most professional i dealt with

Things to do (both typical and off the wall) -
Lots
Winter: Tons of ice skating in winter and not to far to ski albeit it hills rather than mountains. Winterlude in Feb.
Summer: Kayaking at Dow's Lake, walk in the Gatineau hills, great air show at Gatineau in Sept, take a swim in the river at one of the public beaches
All year: Museums everywhere, from the expected, air and space near airport to the unexpected The Diefenbunker, take a show in at either NAC or Scotiabank Place (we are going to see Eddie Izzard in Nov), ride a mechanical bull (weds) at Crazy horse, watch everyone stare at you as you take the cover off the snooker table in Broken Cue in Kanata,

Love the water - got my boaters license and get to take my friends speed boat out in summer
Old Sep 24th 2013, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JB0591
, ride a mechanical bull (weds) at Crazy horse, watch everyone stare at you as you take the cover off the snooker table in Broken Cue in Kanata,
Crazy Horse...were you on a cougar hunt?

Do tell more about the snooker table at the Broken Cue. I've often wondered what that place is like below Grace in the Kitchen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.