Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tipping Protocol

Tipping Protocol

Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:41 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tipping Protocol

When I lived in New England the custom there was for buy-backs. Where the bartender would give you a free drink for every two or thee you bought.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:42 pm
Living life again!!!!!!!

Falcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
The difference between tips based on the pre-tax amount and the total bill doesn't really amount to much in the grand scheme of things.
Fair point! Interesting to get all the different opinions!

Last edited by Falcore; Dec 1st 2009 at 3:46 pm. Reason: Trying to learn to spell!
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:43 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
When I lived in New England the custom there was for buy-backs. Where the bartender would give you a free drink for every two or thee you bought.
I've seen that in the US too - it's a nice custom.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Most people I know pay the tip on the whole bill including taxes.
Likewise.

10-15% is the norm in Canada.

10-15% in the USA flags you as a "cheap Canadian" (where 20% is expected).
Old Dec 1st 2009, 5:47 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Lychee
Likewise.

10-15% is the norm in Canada.

10-15% in the USA flags you as a "cheap Canadian" (where 20% is expected).
Under 15% in Canada gives you the same "cheap" name. See: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1...Etiquette.html
Old Dec 1st 2009, 8:13 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

I work with a lot of Americans and they definitely tip more than Canadians. For good service I tip 15% in Canada, 20% in the US & 10% in the UK (unless service is already included).
Old Dec 1st 2009, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

kwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to all

In Alberta I just double the GST. Nice and simple

Last edited by kwazywabbit; Dec 1st 2009 at 10:08 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 9:59 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kwazywabbit
In Alberta I just double the GST. Naive and simple
and 5% short of the norm.

That used to be close enough when GST was 7%.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

kwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Steve_P
and 5% short of the norm.

That used to be close enough when GST was 7%.
LOL never get any complaints though
Old Dec 1st 2009, 10:11 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kwazywabbit
LOL never get any complaints though
Serving staff are unlikely to complain to you about how cheap you are with your tips.

But amongst themselves you are probably known if you go to the same place frequently.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

austinallegro will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I only tip if the food and/or drinks are brought to your table. It you have to collect from the counter then change from the nearest dollar is adequate.

The only exception is in a bar. A good tip with the first round will ensure you get preferential service when things get busy.
...I usually order booze from the bar and keep all the change. I was a bar tender in England (British Legion) and didn't expect people to tip me just for having a pint poured. Of course, now and then they bought me a beer which might amount to the same thing.

As for tipping on food, I don't tip much. I know that's considered cheap but it's my money and I bust my nuts earning it.

I've read that legislation might be passed in the U.K. to force the restaurant trade to stop lowering staff salaries with the expectation that patrons will fill the gap. Of course, such legislation might not be practicable.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 1:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by austinallegro
...I usually order booze from the bar and keep all the change.
As for tipping on food, I don't tip much. I know that's considered cheap but it's my money and I bust my nuts earning it.
God forbid that we should ever be at the same bar or table.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 1:56 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

...I usually order booze from the bar and keep all the change. I was a bar tender in England (British Legion) and didn't expect people to tip me just for having a pint poured. Of course, now and then they bought me a beer which might amount to the same thing.

I've read that legislation might be passed in the U.K. to force the restaurant trade to stop lowering staff salaries with the expectation that patrons will fill the gap. Of course, such legislation might not be practicable.
Don't ever go on vacation to an all-inclusive resort in Cuba or the DR. You'll find it hard to get served, or to get toilet paper.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 2:04 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Don't ever go on vacation to an all-inclusive resort in Cuba or the DR. You'll find it hard to get served, or to get toilet paper.
Being as he is such a tight arse, do you think he'll need loo roll?
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
To each his own...but my idea of hell is an 'all inclusive' resort.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.