Reload this Page >

Timescales - Update

Timescales - Update

Old Sep 4th 2004, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Canada Bound is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Timescales - Update

Hi,
We came over to for our reccy trip and travelled extensively in Ontario including London,Kitchener ,Waterloo,GTA area Sarnia and all of the Georgian Triangle.Having family in Flesherton and friends in Wasaga beach we may be a little biased but we thought that Collingwood/Wasaga Beach was an extremelly pleasant place with many outdoor pursuits and would be an ideal place for our children to grow up in.We have also looked extensively via the net and during our visit at realestate which also offers both the space and quality of homes that we require.Regarding the work front I am hoping for a transfer to a sister company to the one I work for now in the UK. We have several offices in the GTA which will mean just over an hours comute, not ideal but I currently travel an hour to travel 12 miles in the UK so this 60 mile comute through woodland and beside lakes will hopefully be a breeze, maybe a little different in the snow but I believe the 400 is kept clear unless you can advise differently.(This is one area I am unsure about so any advise would be appreciated.)
Regards,
Andy & Helen
Old Sep 4th 2004, 6:04 pm
squarepants

I hear you sir and see where you are coming from. Some people live in Barrie and drive to Toronto every morning on the 400. If what you said about your job comes through, it would be awesome. Driving hours to work for most people here is the norm anyway.

Houses that way are a whole cheaper than in the GTA, and you get more for your money, on a bigger lot.

http://www.newhomesreviews.com/build...rth_region.htm

Originally Posted by Canada Bound
Hi,
We came over to for our reccy trip and travelled extensively in Ontario including London,Kitchener ,Waterloo,GTA area Sarnia and all of the Georgian Triangle.Having family in Flesherton and friends in Wasaga beach we may be a little biased but we thought that Collingwood/Wasaga Beach was an extremelly pleasant place with many outdoor pursuits and would be an ideal place for our children to grow up in.We have also looked extensively via the net and during our visit at realestate which also offers both the space and quality of homes that we require.Regarding the work front I am hoping for a transfer to a sister company to the one I work for now in the UK. We have several offices in the GTA which will mean just over an hours comute, not ideal but I currently travel an hour to travel 12 miles in the UK so this 60 mile comute through woodland and beside lakes will hopefully be a breeze, maybe a little different in the snow but I believe the 400 is kept clear unless you can advise differently.(This is one area I am unsure about so any advise would be appreciated.)
Regards,
Andy & Helen

Old Sep 4th 2004, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Timescales - Update

Hi again,
Many thanks for your reply as you have confirmed what I was thinking and have eased my mind that we are not making the wrong decision in locating in this area in view of the distance to travel to work.
Kind regards,
Andy.
Old Sep 4th 2004, 6:30 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

Originally Posted by squarepants

Applicants may be rejected solely on medical grounds, if:

i) their condition would endanger the health or safety of the Canadian population at large,

ii) their admission might cause excessive demands on social or health services provided by the government, or

iii) their condition might reasonably prevent them from supporting themselves and/or those dependent upon them.
Not for all PR applicants. Spouses don't have to worry about (ii) and (iii).
Old Sep 4th 2004, 6:55 pm
squarepants

Once again:

Every applicant for permanent resident status and some applicants for temporary status are required to undergo a medical examination by a medical officer. Though this is generally confined to a standard physical exam including blood and urine tests and x-rays, prior medical records as well as your mental state will be examined

Who is going to take care of you if your condition is severe, your spouse? Remember, your spouse alraedy has the responsiblity of taking care of your needs for 3yrs, other family members ( 5yrs ). That info came from an immigration site, may be you know something they don't !

Originally Posted by Rhodes
Not for all PR applicants. Spouses don't have to worry about (ii) and (iii).

Old Sep 4th 2004, 7:15 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

Once again:

Every applicant for permanent resident status and some applicants for temporary status are required to undergo a medical examination by a medical officer. Though this is generally confined to a standard physical exam including blood and urine tests and x-rays, prior medical records as well as your mental state will be examined

Who is going to take care of you if your condition is severe, your spouse? Remember, your spouse alraedy has the responsiblity of taking care of your needs for 3yrs, other family members ( 5yrs ). That info came from an immigration site, may be you know something they don't !
The practicality of going with some dreadful disease is one thing, but, although spouses still have to go for the medical, as described in your first paragraph, they aren't refused a visa simply because of any burden on health and social services. If you really want to look, see the mnuals on the CIC site, and specifically OP2, section 5.18.

The CIC site also, incidentally, says that the sponsor's responsible for 3 years for spouses and dependent children over 22, but for 10 years for others (or until a dependent hits the grand old age of 25).
Old Sep 4th 2004, 7:27 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Hi JoD

Just out of curiosity have you been using the e-client thingy to check your status and if so has it changed now that you have got your medical?

Originally Posted by JoD
Hiya

Just to let you all know we've received our request to go for medicals, without requiring an interview!! Our timescale is as follows:

Applied June 2003
Received File No. July 2003
Received medical request Sept 2004

Hope this gives the rest of you some idea of when you might hear!!

When we applied it was just the 2 of us, but now we have our daughter we have written to CHC in London twice asking how we get her onto the application, but we've heard nothing and now they are asking us to go for medicals and they still haven't acknowledged our daughter. Has anyone else had this problem or know how to resolve it??

Thanks

Jo
Old Sep 4th 2004, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Presume you are still an 'in process', when is your AOR in July? Hopefully CHC seem to be back in business and getting thru our applications at last!
Old Sep 4th 2004, 7:59 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

ALWAYS 'in process'

I'm beginning to wonder if it ever says anything else

Application was end of July 2003
File number was beginning of October 2003

Originally Posted by Canada Bound
Presume you are still an 'in process', when is your AOR in July? Hopefully CHC seem to be back in business and getting thru our applications at last!
Old Sep 5th 2004, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

railman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Helen,

Thanks for your post, yes it is good to hear about other people that are also wondering when it's all going to get sorted out. It seems like we have been going through this process for a lifetime!!!! The area that we are thinking about settling in is Barrie. We visited Ontario in May/June this year and like you we visited lots of places while we were over including London, Oshawa, Whitby, Bowanville, Courtice, Clarington, Barrie & Innisfil. We ended up stuck between two places, Oshawa and Barrie. We thought that Oshawa would be better for work although we couldn't get over Barrie. We liked the waterfront and Marina and the beaches and also the housing. Steve has family in Whitby (near Oshawa) and Ajala (near Newmarket) and also Bowmanville. They kept telling us to go for Oshawa because of work and also told us that Barrie was in the snowbelt. We listened to their advice and visited both Oshawa and Barrie. Oshawa although I can see their point of view about work didn't do anything for us! We have seen some lovely houses there but it's not scenic at all. I think Barrie would be a better place to bring up the children. We have two children, Emma who is 8 and Robert who is 5. We know what you mean about Wasaga Beach, we visited there for a day out and thought it was lovely. That is where we told our daughter that we were thinking of moving to Canada. Emma said " can we have our house here then on the beach". We have tried to tell Robert but have not said to much so as not to upset him, he's only 5. We visited Collingwood while we were there and thought that was nice also. Do you ski? We will try out the ski hill when we move there and also visit the Blue Mountain caves. We will put our house on the market as soon as we get our medical results. The course I am going to do at college is not relaxation, I wish it was LOL! It's Early Years Care & Education - NVQ Level 2. The problem is I don't know if this qualification will be recognized in Canada! I have tried to find out but with no luck! If anyone knows please tell me!
Take care I hope your medicals turn up soon and ours! I will let you know when our's turns up.
Best wishes Diane

QUOTE=Canada Bound]Hi Diane,

We are also looking to settle in Ontario, we are hoping to call Wasaga Beach/Collingwood home when we arrive, where are you settling? Great to hear from somebody else sharing the pressures of this whole lot!!!!! We have everything in place to get the house on the market as soon as we receive the med requests, so hopefully we will have a 'for sale' board in the garden in the next few weeks!!!??(We are AOR 29th July) so will be watching this space hoping you post you have med requsets in the next week or so and we will be not far behind you!! What are you doing at college? Like you say by the time college has finished it should all come together at the same time and you will have something else under your belt. What is it a course in relocating or relaxation???
Do you have children? We have 2 boys aged 13 & 3 - the elder one is really excited and the little one has no say in the matter!!!! Let us know where you are settling and please keep us in the picture when you get that wonderful envelope!!
bye for now
Helen[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 5th 2004, 12:13 am
squarepants

You will be right in choosing Barrie, it's anice area, and couldn't get over it when we went there too, it's just so beautiful, and the beach and marina is definitely a bonus. Did you see those condos in front of the beach there, won't it be nice to have one of those to rent out to people?

That beach so made me want to own a power boat, and a seadoo

Originally Posted by railman
Hi Helen,

Thanks for your post, yes it is good to hear about other people that are also wondering when it's all going to get sorted out. It seems like we have been going through this process for a lifetime!!!! The area that we are thinking about settling in is Barrie. We visited Ontario in May/June this year and like you we visited lots of places while we were over including London, Oshawa, Whitby, Bowanville, Courtice, Clarington, Barrie & Innisfil. We ended up stuck between two places, Oshawa and Barrie. We thought that Oshawa would be better for work although we couldn't get over Barrie. We liked the waterfront and Marina and the beaches and also the housing. Steve has family in Whitby (near Oshawa) and Ajala (near Newmarket) and also Bowmanville. They kept telling us to go for Oshawa because of work and also told us that Barrie was in the snowbelt. We listened to their advice and visited both Oshawa and Barrie. Oshawa although I can see their point of view about work didn't do anything for us! We have seen some lovely houses there but it's not scenic at all. I think Barrie would be a better place to bring up the children. We have two children, Emma who is 8 and Robert who is 5. We know what you mean about Wasaga Beach, we visited there for a day out and thought it was lovely. That is where we told our daughter that we were thinking of moving to Canada. Emma said " can we have our house here then on the beach". We have tried to tell Robert but have not said to much so as not to upset him, he's only 5. We visited Collingwood while we were there and thought that was nice also. Do you ski? We will try out the ski hill when we move there and also visit the Blue Mountain caves. We will put our house on the market as soon as we get our medical results. The course I am going to do at college is not relaxation, I wish it was LOL! It's Early Years Care & Education - NVQ Level 2. The problem is I don't know if this qualification will be recognized in Canada! I have tried to find out but with no luck! If anyone knows please tell me!
Take care I hope your medicals turn up soon and ours! I will let you know when our's turns up.
Best wishes Diane

Helen
[/QUOTE]

Old Sep 5th 2004, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

Hi Diane

Well we will most definitely have to meet up when we are both landed on Canadian soil considering we will be neighbours!! Very small world eh? We are currently in Lancashire! When you have found out if Early yrs & Childcare is recognised let me know, I have also been trying to do my homework as I am ploughing my way thru Early Years & Childcare NVQ level 3!!!!!!!!. To be honest I have kinda given up with it - negative attitude I know, I have completed only 4 units of 14 and cannot see me completeing it, with everything else going on. I am not under any pressure by my employers to complete it( they do not even know I am emmigrating!!) and therefore have no motivation. I have a high feeling it would be the case that we would have to get the qualification recognised as my sister in law in Ontario is currently doing an evening class to be an educational assistant (our classroom support) and I guess that our NVQ's would be on a par but would need recognising, unfortunately - let me know if you hear anymore.
You certainly did some travelling whilst you were over, we went June 03 (right at the peak of the epidemic -which was not good at the time as we were determined we were going but we faced huge obstacles at this end, but with determination we made it and hopefully it was the trip that will change our future!! On that note I will retire and speak to you tomorrow.
Buenos Noches!!!!
Helen
Old Sep 5th 2004, 12:44 am
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

Is that right Lifty

Applicants may be rejected solely on medical grounds, if:

i) their condition would endanger the health or safety of the Canadian population at large,
Exploding blood vessels?
Old Sep 5th 2004, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

railman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Squarepants,

Yes we saw the condo's they looked nice and the view from there must be wonderful. Wouldn't mind renting one out but we are after a house. Steve would love a boat also that would be great. Seen some nice one's at the marina. The only boat I think that Steve has driven is a dive boat! By the way what is a seadoo? Is it a jetski? I bet I'm wrong don't laugh!!! I'd ask Steve but he's on nights!

Take care
Diane

You will be right in choosing Barrie, it's anice area, and couldn't get over it when we went there too, it's just so beautiful, and the beach and marina is definitely a bonus. Did you see those condos in front of the beach there, won't it be nice to have one of those to rent out to people?

That beach so made me want to own a power boat, and a seadoo

[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 5th 2004, 1:29 am
squarepants

I wasn't saying one of those condos to live in, I was thinking more of an investment thing, to own it, and rent it out to tourists. Am talking about power boats, you see a lot of those on the hwy attched to people's trucks, we are talking 50-100k here

A seadoo

http://www.seadoo.com/en-US/Watercrafts/

quad bike ( uk ) = ATV ( all terrain vehicle, us/cnd )

Originally Posted by railman
Hi Squarepants,

Yes we saw the condo's they looked nice and the view from there must be wonderful. Wouldn't mind renting one out but we are after a house. Steve would love a boat also that would be great. Seen some nice one's at the marina. The only boat I think that Steve has driven is a dive boat! By the way what is a seadoo? Is it a jetski? I bet I'm wrong don't laugh!!! I'd ask Steve but he's on nights!

Take care
Diane
[/QUOTE]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.