Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Timer for car plug-in

Timer for car plug-in

Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Timer for car plug-in

What sort of cycle do you set a timer for a plug-in on? It's not that cold here yet, just wondering...!

Thanks in anticipation
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:33 pm
Ambiroadious

WorldWeary will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Timer for car plug-in

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
What sort of cycle do you set a timer for a plug-in on? It's not that cold here yet, just wondering...!

Thanks in anticipation
There are two different kinds of heaters that people use in the winter.

One is a block heater that warms the engine block to make starting easier. The other is an in-car heater so that the car is warm inside when you get in.

For a block heater you usually leave it plugged in all night if you anticipate temperatures below freezing. For an in-car heater about 15 minutes before you plan to get in the car should do it.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:33 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in anticipation
Don't use the menstrual one, you will freeze for 3 weeks every month
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:34 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks in anticipation
In your case, I suggest turning it on now and leaving it on until next May.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:35 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in anticipation
In Ontario, I have a Noma one from Crappy Tire designed to handle block heater use.

Its pretty heavy duty and was about $15 IIRC. Havent broken it yet, and did manage to drive off with it still attached once!

Comes on at 6am. goes off at 9. I'm usually heading out a bit after 8.

Couple of hours should be enough for a block heater to do its thing.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WorldWeary
There are two different kinds of heaters that people use in the winter.

One is a block heater that warms the engine block to make starting easier. The other is an in-car heater so that the car is warm inside when you get in.

For a block heater you usually leave it plugged in all night if you anticipate temperatures below freezing. For an in-car heater about 15 minutes before you plan to get in the car should do it.
I've been told to cycle the plug-in overnight, that it's unnecessary to have it on non-stop. I'm looking for recommendations of what the on/off cycle should be.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hahaha Andy and Souvenir
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iaink
In Ontario, I have a Noma one from Crappy Tire designed to handle block heater use.

Its pretty heavy duty and was about $15 IIRC. Havent broken it yet, and did manage to drive off with it still attached once!

Comes on at 6am. goes off at 9. I'm usually heading out a bit after 8.

Couple of hours should be enough for a block heater to do its thing.
Thanks for that. I reckon I can run to 15 dollars So just a couple of hours before you want to start? I'm not sure I understand why it goes off at 9 if you leave at 8?
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:42 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks in anticipation
If you are driving a relatively new vehicle it probably not necessary to plug it in until temps drop to minus 18C or lower.

As for a timer, as far as I know generally it is accepted that 3 hours prior to starting the vehicle is supposed to be enough.

Fuel injection has helped immensely in getting cars started in cold weather as opposed to the older carburetted vehicles.

As an example my two vehicles are parked in an unattached, uninsulated, unheated garage and neither is plugged-in all winter and we have had no problems starting either one. One vehicle is five years old the other thirteen, both fuel injected.

Cheers
Steve
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:46 pm

Thanks for that. I reckon I can run to 15 dollars So just a couple of hours before you want to start? I'm not sure I understand why it goes off at 9 if you leave at 8?
To give yourself an hours grace just in case you're late.

It really makes no difference if the vehicle is no longer plugged-in does it?

Cheers
Steve
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:48 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
If you are driving a relatively new vehicle it probably not necessary to plug it in until temps drop to minus 18C or lower.

As for a timer, as far as I know generally it is accepted that 3 hours prior to starting the vehicle is supposed to be enough.

Fuel injection has helped immensely in getting cars started in cold weather as opposed to the older carburetted vehicles.

As an example my two vehicles are parked in an unattached, uninsulated, unheated garage and neither is plugged-in all winter and we have had no problems starting either one. One vehicle is five years old the other thirteen, both fuel injected.

Cheers
Steve
In my admittedly (very) little knowledge of Canadian cold weather and block heaters, aren't they used primarily for cars exposed to wind chill and blowing snow? ie, outside of a garage
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hangman
Interesting, thanks for that. It is a new vehicle, the dealer has the same model and when we asked about it, I thought he was crazy when he said he rarely plugged his in...perhaps not!

Andy, no garage here. This is a small semi. The realtor said it would be about 7K CAD to add a garage and we wouldn't see a penny of it back when we sell in 1.5yrs time. So we're going with a timer (when -18c as I've just learned above ) instead.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:55 pm
Ambiroadious

WorldWeary will become famous soon enough

I've been told to cycle the plug-in overnight, that it's unnecessary to have it on non-stop. I'm looking for recommendations of what the on/off cycle should be.
That is one of those areas of debate that no one ever resolves. The purpose is not so much to heat the block itself although that is what also happens and thus the name, 'block heater', but to heat the oil in your engine and keep it from thickening which makes it hard on your starter motor to turn the engine over. Some people argue that allowing your oil to thicken and then warming it and then allowing it to thicken and then warming it...... is not a good idea. That it is better to keep the oil reasonably warm all the time.

You will probably find plug-ins in office parking lots for example. People plug the car in for the day if it is going to be sitting outside for any length of time.

It is a question of temperature. At minus 5-10c you don't even really need to bother. But at minus 20c with a wind chill factor of minus 35c plus, you should be keeping it plugged in. That means it is also a question of where you live. In Toronto for example very few people ever use a block heater. Most cars probably don't even have one. In Winnipeg (edge of the earth) everyone has one.

A block heater is designed to remain on. There is a reason for that. Trying to economize on electricity while risking a problem starting the car doesn't make much sense to me.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:56 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

Interesting, thanks for that. It is a new vehicle, the dealer has the same model and when we asked about it, I thought he was crazy when he said he rarely plugged his in...perhaps not!

Andy, no garage here. This is a small semi. The realtor said it would be about 7K CAD to add a garage and we wouldn't see a penny of it back when we sell in 1.5yrs time. So we're going with a timer (when -18c as I've just learned above ) instead.
I understand that Biiiink, i was just asking (in a roundabout way) if you need a block heater if a car was in a garage.
Personally, i'm just going to send Sheila out an hour before i leave with some buckets of hot water
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
In my admittedly (very) little knowledge of Canadian cold weather and block heaters, aren't they used primarily for cars exposed to wind chill and blowing snow? ie, outside of a garage
Not necessarily. It can still get to minus 30C or colder in an unheated garage.

Back in the days when all vehicles had carburetters it was much trickier starting them when it was cold.

I'm not sure if you can still get them but the best kind of block heaters used to be a circulating kind. It was placed inline in one of the heater lines just prior to it entering the engine block. When you started the car you got warm air from the heater almost immediately.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.