Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Time spans for the potential move...

Time spans for the potential move...

Old Aug 2nd 2006, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

trigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nice
Default Time spans for the potential move...

Well it is essentially the 'how long is a piece of string' scenario but I am curious to do a bit of a poll to see what sort time span it takes from application to emigrate on a Skilled worker residency route to getting on the plane with the kitchen sink and the cat?

I appreciate there are many variables but would like some feedback based on your situations?
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time spans for the potential move...

Originally Posted by trigod
Well it is essentially the 'how long is a piece of string' scenario but I am curious to do a bit of a poll to see what sort time span it takes from application to emigrate on a Skilled worker residency route to getting on the plane with the kitchen sink and the cat?

I appreciate there are many variables but would like some feedback based on your situations?
I pick 5 years. If they don't change the system.

Best advice: get a job and come on a work permit, then apply for PR the minute you arrive, OR
Get the least employable half of your family out here on a study permit, and the other one gets an open work permit.

Sorry to bear bad news.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

trigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tuppence
I pick 5 years. If they don't change the system.

Best advice: get a job and come on a work permit, then apply for PR the minute you arrive, OR
Get the least employable half of your family out here on a study permit, and the other one gets an open work permit.

Sorry to bear bad news.
So what sort of time span does this take, do you hav to have a job to apply for the permit or do you get the permit and then try for a job?
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 3:46 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

So what sort of time span does this take, do you hav to have a job to apply for the permit or do you get the permit and then try for a job?
Have a look at the Immigration Forum - there are a lot of threads about this there.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

For a work permit, you need a job that they couldn't fill with a Canadian / PR (there are some exceptions to this). Time to get the job: who knows, probably a lot of luck involved (I came out on a work permit though, so it is do-able). Get job approved by HRSDC: couple of months probably (tip - head for New Brunswick, they did mine in 3 days). Get the permit approved: 2-4 weeks.

Study permits, I don't know, but I'm sure someone here does.