Time off

Old Dec 19th 2006, 12:26 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time off

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
Nfld gs the same latitude as Edinburgh
That probably depends what part of Newfoundland you are talking about. St John's, so Mrs AX tells me, is on the same latitude as Paris!
Old Dec 19th 2006, 12:50 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
St John's, so Mrs AX tells me, is on the same latitude as Paris
Is there as much dog shit on the pavement

Rich.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 11:09 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raistlin

Seems to have provoked a lot of discussion this one.

We're pretty far along the Skilled Worker route, looking to move next May - after second addition to the family.

I have to say, that the leave allowance is something that keeps cropping up within my mind. One day I'm fine with it, the next it's like :scared: .

We all know the pro's and con's of staying or going - there's variations here and there, but one major downside for many it seems is moving away from friends and family.

For me, the 'time off' factor becomes a major influence because I'd always intended to travel back to the UK once a year (or even once every 2) - didn't want the children to not 'know' their grandparents etc.

With 10 days leave, that's not really an option.
OK, the family and friends can come to see us - but I can't take as much leave as I would have liked, to relax with them.

Is it something in itself that would stop us moving out there - I don't think so, but add it to a few other small reasons, it may be something that just tips the balance.

(BTW - I'm having a stay in the UK week this week, give me another 10 days I'll be on a get me outta this f*****g country and off to Canada - and so on and so on ................ )

Cheers all
We resolved the chidren seeing their grandparents issue by sending them, sometimes with their mother, to Europe for the summers. I think this is quite common. It has the advantage of allowing the children to be exposed to art, history and culture.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

raistlin will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Daedra
Cool name and makes me think of Dragonlance books for some strange reason

It is a difficult thing, even on the best of days you question your choices... it really comes down to, if it was meant to be, nothing will come in your way to dissuade you

Dragonlance - back in the days when choices were simple - your mum made them for you
I recognise Daedra aswell, can't place it yet though.

Yep, questioning my choices is something that I'm doing on a pretty regular basis at the moment. I'm hoping for a moment of clarity when the Visa's sat in our hands.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
We resolved the chidren seeing their grandparents issue by sending them, sometimes with their mother, to Europe for the summers. I think this is quite common. It has the advantage of allowing the children to be exposed to art, history and culture.

That's a good idea, hadn't thought of that. Did it ever make them want to live near their family? Or were they always happy to return?
Old Dec 19th 2006, 7:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good idea, hadn't thought of that. Did it ever make them want to live near their family? Or were they always happy to return?
I don't think they're particularly drawn to family but they are keen to live in Europe. One took a gap year and worked there, she recently finished university and would, I think, have gone back at the end of it had she not become involved with an American. Another will finish university this spring; it's anyones guess what she'll do. A factor in this is that their mother spends about half the year there, in her case family and friends are the major draw as she's never really settled here.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think they're particularly drawn to family but they are keen to live in Europe. One took a gap year and worked there, she recently finished university and would, I think, have gone back at the end of it had she not become involved with an American. Another will finish university this spring; it's anyones guess what she'll do. A factor in this is that their mother spends about half the year there, in her case family and friends are the major draw as she's never really settled here.

Thanks for the reply dbd. Family and friends are going to be the biggest factor for us too.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 4:34 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Dragonlance - back in the days when choices were simple - your mum made them for you
I recognise Daedra aswell, can't place it yet though.

Yep, questioning my choices is something that I'm doing on a pretty regular basis at the moment. I'm hoping for a moment of clarity when the Visa's sat in our hands.
Sadly I know all too well of what you speak

Daedra's a terminology used in the Edler Scrolls games, basically their word for a 'demon' or 'semi-god'.

It's a scary process for anyone leaving comfort & security, heck my moment of panik only sunk in the day before my flight to the UK, before that I was a seesaw of emotions almost by the hour!

But those that risk the greatest are the ones that gain the most, even if its solely the experience of learning what its like. Good luck to you guys!
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

happylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Time off

Originally Posted by ben123
Perhaps that explains why there`s over 60 million in the uk and only 30 million in Canada.Since when has Canada been a part of America?
It`s all about work-leisure balance and I would rather have more leisure!
Ben, dude
How about 'self-employed' route in Canada? You can 'choose' your holiday time, (in line with your business). A lotta people seem to go 'own business' route -ok, has it's drawbacks, but gives more 'freedom.'

All The Best,
HL.