Time off

Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:49 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Time off

Originally Posted by dbd33
Just a minute, Waterloo, Mexico, skewed view of Canadian society, are you a Mennonite?
My mother's side of the family were in fact Mennonites, but they drove around in a car - not a carriage. I guess they were more progressive Mennonites. I am not now or have have been a Mennonite. I was raised RC.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Dec 18th 2006 at 3:52 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 4:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Do you have any idea just how may beer/alcoholic beverage plants have shut down in Ontario over the last 30 years? I don't think so.
That's because the tastes of people in Ontario have become more discerning. Not because the individuals have changed, old Canadians still drink Molson or Labatt products, but because more people are immigrants. We can get more of your beers up here now, not just Corona and Dos Equis but also Negra Modelo.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 4:56 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
The word "pub" isn't even part of the Canadian vernacular. Fact is, the word "pub" sounds very UK to any native born Canadian.

Again depends on the Canadians you talk to, here alot use pub and tavern. Perhaps it has something to do with there being bars named Pub and tavern. or recent immigrant families?

Also confused on where this thread ended up on a pub theme when the original poster wanted to be paid not to work.

Last edited by Grah; Dec 18th 2006 at 5:04 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
The sheer accessibility to outdoor pursuits is in a different league here, generally in the (Y)UK people see winter as a time to hibernate, get fat, eat lardy food, lie about and close the curtains to the went dank misery of the world outside their cold draughty terraced house.
I should point out to those living in BC that they live further south than the UK. More so for SW Ontarians. When it doesn't get light til 10am and dark at 3pm, your enjoyment of the outdoors is more limited.

K.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt0157
I should point out to those living in BC that they live further south than the UK. More so for SW Ontarians. When it doesn't get light til 10am and dark at 3pm, your enjoyment of the outdoors is more limited.

K.
In fact just about all of habitable Canada is further south than England, and even Calgary is about the same latitude as Cardiff.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

pint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kt0157

K.
Only if you're afraid of the dark.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:54 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pint princess
Only if you're afraid of the dark.
Bogeyman/sasquatch/incubus/succubus/bedwetting issues ? :scared:

Rich.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 7:06 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grah
Also confused on where this thread ended up on a pub theme when the original poster wanted to be paid not to work.
Interweb madness...it's insane, out of control, cyber-democracy gawn mad.

Rich.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 7:17 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Bogeyman/sasquatch/incubus/succubus/bedwetting issues ? :scared:

Rich.
Have you been having the same nightmares as me then Rich?
Old Dec 18th 2006, 9:09 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by Madmac
Have you been having the same nightmares as me then Rich?
Succubus fears...........hmmmm............deeply entrenched in many cultures deepest psyches. :scared:

The bogeyman, zombie flesh-eater, bigfoot/sasquatch, ogopogo, alien abduction, reds under the bed, eastern European immigrants, dole cheats, scroungers, football hooligans, chavs, Tory voters, Red Ken, Albanian gangstas, da wicked inna city gun-crime massive,

Are you afraid of the big bad wolf

Rich.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

raistlin will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ben123
Hi,

I have a opportunity to immigrate to BC via the PNP process.
I have just one problem and that is time off from work.
To me it is a big part of my life, having time with your family and being able to see the world.
Being in BC their are opportunities for skiing and the wilderness.
How do people do this?How do people see sporting events during the week if they are at work?
Also being in the private sector are you being treated as a 2nd class citizen as if you are working in the public sector i.e Nurses you start of with 4 weeks vacation.
Is it all work?
This is important to me so much that I am very tempted to opt for Australia.

Seems to have provoked a lot of discussion this one.

We're pretty far along the Skilled Worker route, looking to move next May - after second addition to the family.

I have to say, that the leave allowance is something that keeps cropping up within my mind. One day I'm fine with it, the next it's like :scared: .

We all know the pro's and con's of staying or going - there's variations here and there, but one major downside for many it seems is moving away from friends and family.

For me, the 'time off' factor becomes a major influence because I'd always intended to travel back to the UK once a year (or even once every 2) - didn't want the children to not 'know' their grandparents etc.

With 10 days leave, that's not really an option.
OK, the family and friends can come to see us - but I can't take as much leave as I would have liked, to relax with them.

Is it something in itself that would stop us moving out there - I don't think so, but add it to a few other small reasons, it may be something that just tips the balance.

(BTW - I'm having a stay in the UK week this week, give me another 10 days I'll be on a get me outta this f*****g country and off to Canada - and so on and so on ................ )

Cheers all
Old Dec 18th 2006, 9:52 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tableland
In fact just about all of habitable Canada is further south than England, and even Calgary is about the same latitude as Cardiff.
Nfld gs the same latitude as Edinburgh
Old Dec 18th 2006, 10:22 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Succubus fears...........hmmmm............deeply entrenched in many cultures deepest psyches. :scared:

The bogeyman, zombie flesh-eater, bigfoot/sasquatch, ogopogo, alien abduction, reds under the bed, eastern European immigrants, dole cheats, scroungers, football hooligans, chavs, Tory voters, Red Ken, Albanian gangstas, da wicked inna city gun-crime massive,

Are you afraid of the big bad wolf

Rich.
Au Contraire - I always root for him when reading Little Red Riding Hood who, lets face it, was a midget-sized junkie, high on smack when she slipped out into the forest to 'visit' her 'granny' (pimp)!
Old Dec 18th 2006, 10:28 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by Madmac
Au Contraire - I always root for him when reading Little Red Riding Hood who, lets face it, was a midget-sized junkie, high on smack when she slipped out into the forest to 'visit' her 'granny' (pimp)!
Little Red Riding Hood interpreted as 'woman asking to be raped' type of dusky woodland scenario with be-whiskered four legged fiend AKA incubus character ? Hmmm. Licks lips, prepares salt, gets big net to trap LRRH. Boils large vat of water, sharpens knives.

Rich.

Last edited by Rich_007; Dec 19th 2006 at 12:21 am.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 11:09 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raistlin

Seems to have provoked a lot of discussion this one.

We're pretty far along the Skilled Worker route, looking to move next May - after second addition to the family.

I have to say, that the leave allowance is something that keeps cropping up within my mind. One day I'm fine with it, the next it's like :scared: .

We all know the pro's and con's of staying or going - there's variations here and there, but one major downside for many it seems is moving away from friends and family.

For me, the 'time off' factor becomes a major influence because I'd always intended to travel back to the UK once a year (or even once every 2) - didn't want the children to not 'know' their grandparents etc.

With 10 days leave, that's not really an option.
OK, the family and friends can come to see us - but I can't take as much leave as I would have liked, to relax with them.

Is it something in itself that would stop us moving out there - I don't think so, but add it to a few other small reasons, it may be something that just tips the balance.

(BTW - I'm having a stay in the UK week this week, give me another 10 days I'll be on a get me outta this f*****g country and off to Canada - and so on and so on ................ )

Cheers all
Cool name and makes me think of Dragonlance books for some strange reason

It is a difficult thing, even on the best of days you question your choices... it really comes down to, if it was meant to be, nothing will come in your way to dissuade you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.