Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tim Hortons or Starbucks?

View Poll Results: Timmies or Starbucks?
Tim Hortons
66.67%
Starbucks
28.99%
Don't Know/Undecided
4.35%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Tim Hortons or Starbucks?

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tim Hortons or Starbucks?

Originally Posted by Greenhill
And they don't adjust the cream/sugar amounts based on the size of the drink.

So, if you like medium double-doubles, but one day fancy a bit more coffee and ask for a large double-double, you will get a bigger cup with more coffee but the same amount of sugar and cream as your medium.

So it might taste less sugary and less creamy. Almost like a regular. If you need a bigger cup, you have to up the sugar and cream amounts to match. This is far more complicated than it needs to be and, for the sake of consistency, they really need to design spoons and cream dispensers relative to the coffee cup size.
sorry that's not true (well in my local tims), the amounts are upped based on the size of the cup automatically.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Pvt Chuff is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the tones guy is correct.
As I understand it, they have different sized servings of sugar and cream depending on what size coffee you order. So, if you order an extra large double double, you get two automated extra large helpings of sugar and two extra large of cream. For a medium its two automated medium sizes . . . and so on.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pvt Chuff
As I understand it, they have different sized servings of sugar and cream depending on what size coffee you order. So, if you order an extra large double double, you get two automated extra large helpings of sugar and two extra large of cream. For a medium its two automated medium sizes . . . and so on.
That does make more sense! And less complicated for us Timmies virgins!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:30 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you're in Newfoundland, apparently. And even then, there's the risk that they might up the doses anyway, based on how your accent is interpreted through their headset.

Originally Posted by Steve_P
It's up to you the customer to ask for a triple, triple in this case.
Originally Posted by the_tones_guy
sorry that's not true (well in my local tims), the amounts are upped based on the size of the cup automatically.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

LOL......
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:38 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

In all my time here that's never been the reality for me. In fact one time I asked the girls at the Tim's at the local Irving if they did in fact up the amounts of cream and sugar based on cup size.

They all started pushing buttons on their headsets while whispering and giggling. The reply was, "oh no we just use this one spoon". A piece of paper was handed to me with Jill's phone number on it and I was offered a free donut.

Originally Posted by Pvt Chuff
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

You missed an answer.

"Don't care, it's all over-priced crap"
I'm sorry but you can't call Timmie's overpriced!!!

Cheap as chips.

Noe Starbucks on the other hand.........
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Probably - but I wanted a poncy cappuccino with frothy milk and everything - and what i got was some vanilla syrup flavoured monstrosity
Thats my only beef with Timmie's.

I love a good cappuccino. I don't like it with sugar so the French Vanilla or the English Toffee are out for me.

Mind you Timmie's do make a decent cup o tea....
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:15 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pennyhp
I'm sorry but you can't call Timmie's overpriced!!!

Cheap as chips.
Read my response in post #12.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:16 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Errrrk Hortons

Roastmasters on Lonsdale in N Van or Seattles Best if I have to have a mass produced.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:19 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pennyhp
Thats my only beef with Timmie's.

I love a good cappuccino. I don't like it with sugar so the French Vanilla or the English Toffee are out for me.

Mind you Timmie's do make a decent cup o tea....
I remember them advertising that they had employed a third generation Tea Master!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:18 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Tim Hortons, no contest! Starbucks is just watery, over priced, pretentious tat IMO.

Tim's is cheap, you don't have to rhyme off a whole list of ingrediants to get one, it's not too strong, not too weak. Just right. Plus, there is one within stumbling distance of my apartment

Also, the selection of baked goods is great. I had been working through the donut range when I decided to try Timbits. Got a coffee & a box of the honey dip ones and had a picnic in the park. Well, the rate at which I shovelled them into my mouth should have been disgraceful....but I just didn't care! Also a huge fan of the whole grain raspberry muffin. Too good
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:32 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well at least you know what my vote would have been.
And mine. Starbucks is overpriced burnt liquid yuk and Timmies should be prosecuted for calling that brown stuff coffee.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:13 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

coffee from Cafe Argiento (?)
Attached Thumbnails Tim Hortons or Starbucks?-img_0552.jpg  
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:59 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

I find Tim's coffee pretty foul.

I'm shocked that someone would actually look forward to moving to Canada so they can drink it - you could buy something similar at the Esso garage if you really wanted to. I'm probably just a snob.

I'm told that you acquire a taste for it - but I drink mine black and it seems weak and mostly tasteless. Maybe if I had cream I'd see why people like it; aside from their clever 'We are more Canadian than anything else' propaganda advertizing showing little kiddies playing hockey with Sidney Crosby, and their plentiful hockey sponsorship in small communities.

Bridgehead is a good local chain in this town and beats both IMHO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.