Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tim Hortons or Starbucks?

View Poll Results: Timmies or Starbucks?
Tim Hortons
66.67%
Starbucks
28.99%
Don't Know/Undecided
4.35%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Tim Hortons or Starbucks?

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tim Hortons or Starbucks?

Originally Posted by Greenhill
And, um, if you're very nice and polite with your English accent at the drive-through, it's sometimes free One time I was given free cup with a heart drawn on the top of it
Too true, I was at the drive through Timmies a week or so ago and the young girl on the cash window, actually told me she loved me, made me blush she did!!

Went home told the wife....she did not care

Interestingly, because the average age of a Timmies employee is 12, as soon as they here a non-local accent, they stop listening to your order and consequently get it wrong.

Favorites are 'Large double double please' and I get a triple triple, or a hot chocolate or black coffee!

Regarding costs....you can feed a family of 4 soup/roll/donut/coffee/drink combo's for $10/$12. cheap as chips (or should I say fries).

Starbucks and second cup, you walk in and they look you up and down, you are only allowed one mortgage in Newfoundland, so consequently I never go there.

Anyway, I'm off to my local Timmies where I am loved!!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by G77
Yes to both
Thanks!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy
Too true, I was at the drive through Timmies a week or so ago and the young girl on the cash window, actually told me she loved me, made me blush she did!!

Went home told the wife....she did not care

Interestingly, because the average age of a Timmies employee is 12, as soon as they here a non-local accent, they stop listening to your order and consequently get it wrong.

Favorites are 'Large double double please' and I get a triple triple, or a hot chocolate or black coffee!

Regarding costs....you can feed a family of 4 soup/roll/donut/coffee/drink combo's for $10/$12. cheap as chips (or should I say fries).

Starbucks and second cup, you walk in and they look you up and down, you are only allowed one mortgage in Newfoundland, so consequently I never go there.

Anyway, I'm off to my local Timmies where I am loved!!
Whats a 'double double'?

Please note that I am a Timmies virgin
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:00 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by act1980
Whats a 'double double'?

Two cream and two sugars.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Whats a 'double double'?

2 cream, 2 sugar. Its the default canadian coffee
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:03 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ville303
For me personally it's a French Latte and Canadian Maple donut- mmm all the custard oozing out...not to mention the bluberry fritter...LOL
French Vanilla Latte kicks arse!!! I have a freind arriving from Canada next week with a big tub for me
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Two cream and two sugars.
Thanks Steve

I think I would be on a major rush if I had all that sugar and the coffee on top! I'd be high for the day
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:04 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Whats a 'double double'?

One cream and One Sugar is a regular=) Just so you understand when you get there!!!!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
2 cream, 2 sugar. Its the default canadian coffee
Thanks!!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by James Martindale
One cream and One Sugar is a regular=) Just so you understand when you get there!!!!
Thanks!! Wow, who knew coffee could be so complex!!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:08 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!! Wow, who knew coffee could be so complex!!
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fullcomment/archive/2008/01/11/john-turley-ewart-ordering-at-tim-hortons-a-welcome-how-to-guide-for-all-canadians.aspx

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Holy crap!!!! I'm scared, all seems a bit daunting!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:12 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

And they don't adjust the cream/sugar amounts based on the size of the drink.

So, if you like medium double-doubles, but one day fancy a bit more coffee and ask for a large double-double, you will get a bigger cup with more coffee but the same amount of sugar and cream as your medium.

So it might taste less sugary and less creamy. Almost like a regular. If you need a bigger cup, you have to up the sugar and cream amounts to match. This is far more complicated than it needs to be and, for the sake of consistency, they really need to design spoons and cream dispensers relative to the coffee cup size.

Originally Posted by James Martindale
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Whats a 'double double'?
It's what ever the 12 year old server thinks you said, that differs greatly from what you actually want.

As much as I moan about it, it is lovely and just what the doctor ordered (yes he always orders a dbl dbl too)
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Greenhill
And they don't adjust the cream/sugar amounts based on the size of the drink.

So, if you like medium double-doubles, but one day fancy a bit more coffee and ask for a large double-double, you will get a bigger cup with more coffee but the same amount of sugar and cream as your medium.

So it might taste less sugary and less creamy. Almost like a regular. If you need a bigger cup, you have to up the sugar and cream amounts to match. This is far more complicated than it needs to be and, for the sake of consistency, they really need to design spoons and cream dispensers relative to the coffee cup size.
OMG, my head is about to explode!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.