Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ticket, Ticket,Ticket.

Ticket, Ticket,Ticket.

Old Sep 3rd 2016, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ticket, Ticket,Ticket.

Fines are also revenue generators in addition to being a deterrent for breaking the rules of the road, so police departments and other agencies have an incentive to go and ticket offenders, it generates revenue.

That said, in 19 years of driving, I've only managed to rack up 1 ticket, not perfect by any means, but follow the rules, drive safely, and generally you wont find yourself pulled over leaving with a ticket.

The highway I drive in BC, well 110 seems to mean 130-140 and its simply not safe to drive those speeds with only 2 lanes each direction and volume that really exceeds the highways design, same when I worked in Whistler, would have people doing 100+ on a mountain highway in snow and ice, then spin out and into a ditch and act surprised, even with education some simply will not listen, BC has signs all over about speed, distracted driving and other warnings, and people still do all of those things, the gov't can educate but issue is people simply don't listen to what they are being taught.
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Prairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant future

I drove in the Uk and Europe as a 1A driver for 15 years. I drove in North Africa and Malta where there are no rules. I drove 1A for Yankee transport all over America (including Alaska) and Canada without ever having a single conviction or blame worthy accident. I now shunt trailers for a living with my eyes closed. I know safe driving when I see it and I agree with you its the mentality of some (not all people) that they are immune to the road conditions we encounter over here. In summary what we are saying is "you can`t educate the uneducated" but as I keep saying we must try.
Old Sep 4th 2016, 3:09 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Prairie Pete
I now shunt trailers for a living with my eyes closed.
Therein could be your problem!
Old Sep 4th 2016, 3:16 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I drove in the Uk and Europe as a 1A driver for 15 years. I drove in North Africa and Malta where there are no rules. I drove 1A for Yankee transport all over America (including Alaska) and Canada without ever having a single conviction or blame worthy accident. I now shunt trailers for a living with my eyes closed. I know safe driving when I see it and I agree with you its the mentality of some (not all people) that they are immune to the road conditions we encounter over here. In summary what we are saying is "you can`t educate the uneducated" but as I keep saying we must try.
Are you speaking in the 3rd person/ people (?!), I'm confused
Old Sep 4th 2016, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

Prairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant future

Keep up Stinkypup, this is just this is just the Aviator trying to belittle me because I shunt trailers for a living. Arrogance is such an ugly trait to posses, obviously using this website as an egotistical playground. Sad really.
Old Sep 4th 2016, 5:32 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Keep up Stinkypup, this is just this is just the Aviator trying to belittle me because I shunt trailers for a living. Arrogance is such an ugly trait to posses, obviously using this website as an egotistical playground. Sad really.
I really don't think so Pete, he has a bit of an ascerbic wit but belittling just isn't his style. As I am sure that you know fine well, he was referring to your "eyes closed " remark.

I just started reading this thread tonight so am indeed behind. I just think people are concerned that you have a laissez faire attitude on what you perceive as petty rules but are in fact laws and bylaws which have been legislated and should be observed and abided by us all.

You clearly feel that your list of "misdemeanours" are trivial and unimportant. I think that given that you have driven Class 1 for so long without incident puzzles us when you have shall we say gone off the rails more recently. I don't think job wise anyone is belittling you at all, I am 100% certain of that, you may feel that everyone is ganging up on you. They aren't but you posted the initial post, you put yourself up there and then subsequently posted your thoughts which are absolutely fair enough but it is also fair enough that others give their opinions which you may not like. It isn't arrogance or vindictiveness, just responding to your posts. You have to admit the list was long....
Old Sep 4th 2016, 5:05 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Arrogance is such an ugly trait to posses, obviously using this website as an egotistical playground. Sad really.
Never said you were arrogant. Although I thought it arrogant not 'having the time' to learn and understand the rules of the road, because you 'have a life' as well as your apparent light-hearted approach to getting tickets. Professional drivers are the ones who should be setting a standard other strive to achieve. Those that do earn the respect of other road users. My contempt is not for what anyone does for a living, more for those who want to be perceived as professional, yet selfishly show total disregard for the safety of others and the standards of their profession.

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 4th 2016 at 5:08 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2016, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you, but honestly I have a life and I don`t have time to read through list and list of law regulations...if this is the price I have to pay for having a life then its worth every penny.....what happened to the law of common sense officer? UUUUHHHHH we don`t apply that over here as I stand there with my dog under my arm.
Quote of the year from a driver assessor can only be TransX or Bison . Have another
Old Sep 5th 2016, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
How can their be a lesser charge of driving without valid registration unless the officer was prepared to ignore the no valid registration and give a lesser charge of perhaps not displaying a valid registration sticker or having an obscured licence plate.
Pass. Although lesser charge also means $$$.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I spent two years enforcing the animal control bylaw for 6 different cities (worked for an independent contractor).
During that time we only ticketed people who would not allow us to educate them. Such as continuously allowing their dog to bark, walking off leash etc...
There were some who would think "it's only a bylaw" and disregard the rules. They got ticketed eventually and off they went to court!
So my question is... How did you interact with the officer when you were asked to leash your dog???
Old Sep 7th 2016, 2:42 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Introducing the new educational program:
Harsher penalties coming for Sask. speeders, those responsible for crashes | News Talk 980 CJME
Old Sep 7th 2016, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

We don`t display stickers over here in Saskatchewan no more, that was fazed out a couple of years ago. Canada is so confusing with every Province having its own different rules and regulations.

Since we have lived in Canada we have received numerous tickets all with various levels of financial punishment. My question is "how is the level of financial punishment calculated?". On what basis?

* Received ticket for
Parking too close to a bus stop $?
Parking in the wrong direction of traffic (outside our house, we live in a crescent!) $?
Parking in front of a mail box $?
Speeding in a school zone (school is in a commercial area of the city - lots of tickets here) $250
Speeding in the middle of nowhere (15 kmh over speed limit on one of the longest straightest roads you could imagine, not a kid in sight, cop was hiding in the bushes) $150
$250 dog not registered (sorry Max we forgot all about you)
$100 walking my dog in a off leash dog park without having a leash in my possession (my dog weighs 15lb, any problem I just pick him up)
Driving without due care and attention (SUV driving 15kmh in side street, wheel hit a deep ice rut and bumped across into a parked car). We contested this in court as we blamed the City for not grading the side streets. Judge told us "This is Canada you have to drive to the conditions".$?
No registration on vehicle $580... I shall repeat this just so you know it was not a typo $580.

They may be others I have missed. Am I a criminal? I feel like one. Should I be deported back to the UK where I never received a driving endorsement in 15 years and zero criminal convictions.

The point I am making here is that this particular part of Canada has a ticket mentality to enforce the law and prevent crime. Instead of ticket, ticket.ticket would it not be better to have education, education,education? Is it not in the best interest of the general public to prevent crime rather than to have to enforce it?
The dog stuff is BS, you shouldn't have to "register" your pets. Thats none of guvmint's business.

I didn't realise you could get dinged for just a simple accident that hurt nobody. (bumping into the car at the fault of the city no less for not maintaining the road.)...
I defo would have appealed the court decision based on the obvious bias against your being immigrant.

They are sneaky about the school zones. You are legally obligated to slow to 40kph in front of the school but there are never posted signs, and to add to the confusion there are signs in front of some crossings that say "Slow to 40 when flashing" implying that you don't have to slow if the lights aren't flashing. But you actually do have to slow in front of the school anyways. It seems like that law is really just out to get people by not having it in plain sight like every other speed limit.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 3:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Dog licensing is the norm in most of US and Canada, part of owning a dog is licensing said dog.

I cannot recall ever seeing a school zone that isnt marked around hmy area. Lots of signs to remind you. We slow to 30 here not 40.

For for seeding in school zone is up to $483 but to get the max fine you would need to be going 60 over the speed limit.

But you get 3 points for a speeding ticket in a school zone at any speed.

Originally Posted by Gozit
The dog stuff is BS, you shouldn't have to "register" your pets. Thats none of guvmint's business.

I didn't realise you could get dinged for just a simple accident that hurt nobody. (bumping into the car at the fault of the city no less for not maintaining the road.)...
I defo would have appealed the court decision based on the obvious bias against your being immigrant.

They are sneaky about the school zones. You are legally obligated to slow to 40kph in front of the school but there are never posted signs, and to add to the confusion there are signs in front of some crossings that say "Slow to 40 when flashing" implying that you don't have to slow if the lights aren't flashing. But you actually do have to slow in front of the school anyways. It seems like that law is really just out to get people by not having it in plain sight like every other speed limit.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 4:52 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit

On the contrary: The 40 kph signs are on either side of the zone and if you aren't going 40 when you pass the sign you can get a ticket. If you have an accident because you were going too fast for road conditions you will almost certainly be cited for driving too fast for road conditions, or possibly driving with undue care and attention depending on circumstances. It's like when you rear-end another car; the driver of the car in the rear is guilty because he did the "running into".
Exceptions to standard school zone enforcement are some in Regina and Saskatoon with cameras in place and some deemed high risk with a 30 kph speed limit. Going 45 through one of those costs $220. https://www.sgi.sk.ca/individuals/pe...forcement.html

Last edited by caretaker; Sep 7th 2016 at 5:17 pm. Reason: why give the lad the whip?
Old Sep 7th 2016, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Dog licensing is the norm in most of US and Canada, part of owning a dog is licensing said dog.

I cannot recall ever seeing a school zone that isnt marked around hmy area. Lots of signs to remind you. We slow to 30 here not 40.

For for seeding in school zone is up to $483 but to get the max fine you would need to be going 60 over the speed limit.

But you get 3 points for a speeding ticket in a school zone at any speed.
I looked it up and in my town dog license is $30 for the 2016 year and cats are $10. The primary purpose for these is if the pet gets lost animal services returns them home. Theoretically if the pet never leaves (like alot of cats) you wouldn't need to, but for $10, why fight it. But anything higher than $50 seems like it would be over kill and a money making scheme for gov.

Interesting. Here in ON there are no signs at the school zones.

Originally Posted by caretaker
On the contrary: The 40 kph signs are on either side of the zone and if you aren't going 40 when you pass the sign you can get a ticket. If you have an accident because you were going too fast for road conditions you will almost certainly be cited for driving too fast for road conditions, or possibly driving with undue care and attention depending on circumstances. It's like when you rear-end another car; the driver of the car in the rear is guilty because he did the "running into".
Exceptions to standard school zone enforcement are some in Regina and Saskatoon with cameras in place and some deemed high risk with a 30 kph speed limit. Going 45 through one of those costs $220. https://www.sgi.sk.ca/individuals/pe...forcement.html
Like I said above in ON there aren't any signs for 40 kph. Its just the law and one of the ways they ding you - if they were 100% interested in safety they would put signs up warning people to slow down and just put a normal speed sign, evidently like they do in other provinces.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.