Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Three weeks to Calgary

Three weeks to Calgary

Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three weeks to Calgary

That rent for a 2 bed apartment seems a bit high to me. We are in a lovely big 3 bed detached in the NW and it's under $2000. There are lots around the $1800 which are gorgeous.

It's always going to be higher rent if you live downtown tho.

Calgary is a great place to live. I am sure you will love it here.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough

Hi. This is a useful thread for us as we have recently been given PR and need to land before 1st May 2013. We get married in Oct so will land between Nov and May.

We have found CRIEC (Calgary Region Immigrant Employment Council) helpful to talk to and for advice. $2000pcm does seem expensive - we ideally want an apartment out of town 2 bed or 1 bed to rent for the first year and to pay $1-1.5k.

It does seem Canadian employers won't really consider your applications until you have landed and are physically resident in Canada. I neeto get a lucrative contract here in Uk for up to 6mths to save a warchest of cash to come out with to support us whilst seeking work.

Any advice from those in Calgary about getting a provincial driving licence and opening a decent bank accoutn that hopefully doesn't charge fees?
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

OPPOP is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
One would think that, if you have been living here for as long as you have, you would be much better informed.

Have you any evidence to support the crap you have stated that "most people live in the SW and NW? Are you talking about 50.00000001
% or 80%? Are you seriously suggesting that 2 quadrants of the city have a minimal population? Can you not think of one community in the NE that is liveable?
If you like to live NE , go ahead. Cheaper housing (way cheaper), but not the place for me.
Good luck
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 99problems
Hi. This is a useful thread for us as we have recently been given PR and need to land before 1st May 2013. We get married in Oct so will land between Nov and May.

We have found CRIEC (Calgary Region Immigrant Employment Council) helpful to talk to and for advice. $2000pcm does seem expensive - we ideally want an apartment out of town 2 bed or 1 bed to rent for the first year and to pay $1-1.5k.

It does seem Canadian employers won't really consider your applications until you have landed and are physically resident in Canada. I neeto get a lucrative contract here in Uk for up to 6mths to save a warchest of cash to come out with to support us whilst seeking work.

Any advice from those in Calgary about getting a provincial driving licence and opening a decent bank accoutn that hopefully doesn't charge fees?
TD doesnt charge you as long as you keep the minimum balance in your account.

Last edited by OPPOP; Jul 4th 2012 at 3:26 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - changing over your driving licence is easy - just go to one of the registry places and they do it all for you - get your photo done and pass the eye test and then you get a paper one until your plastic one comes through. You need to take your passports and work permits (if you have a work permit) and your British licence with you.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

I not heard of CRIEC until this thread, I guess I learn something new every day. (This thread is very useful).

As posted above. TD won't charge unless you keep a minimum balance. I think it was $1k.
As for getting a provincial driving licence. If you have a UK driving licence you can swap it over for a Alberta/Canadian one at a registry office.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 3:08 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Des and Chris
Thank you for the positive message. We are initially staying with a friend on the gleneagles estate just outside Cochrane so fairly close to you I guess! Hoping to be out of her hair and in our own pad by mid August at the latest though!
Well, if you're staying at Gleneagles, that's just up the hill from us so might see you around!!
Old Jul 4th 2012, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

This might be useful for you guys too:

http://forum.kijiji.ca/post-7600102.html
Old Jul 5th 2012, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Des and Chris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
That rent for a 2 bed apartment seems a bit high to me. We are in a lovely big 3 bed detached in the NW and it's under $2000. There are lots around the $1800 which are gorgeous.

It's always going to be higher rent if you live downtown tho.

Calgary is a great place to live. I am sure you will love it here.
We are looking for furnished accommodation, so maybe that's what puts the price up. Maybe?
Old Jul 5th 2012, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

JennFromBarcroft is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd recommend living centrally! Kensington area amazing and best for someone used to the UK lifestyle.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 1:03 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

We are looking for furnished accommodation, so maybe that's what puts the price up. Maybe?
Correct usually add $500 for furnished accommodation (houses)
Old Jul 5th 2012, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

Des and Chris,

Good luck with everything. Let us know how you get on with job hunting especially in teaching.

Ruby
Old Jul 5th 2012, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by OPPOP
This might be useful for you guys too:

http://forum.kijiji.ca/post-7600102.html
Thank you!
Old Jul 9th 2012, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Helen Louise is an unknown quantity at this point

We are getting really excited, nervous, scared, worried, whole host of emotions! Moving to Calgary in three weeks. No where to live yet. Job prospects not the best.... Des is a primary school headteacher and Chris is a non degree nurse (therefore lots of hoops to jump through) but we are determined and optimistic that we will find good things and good people in Calgary! Anyone recently arrived in Calgary or about to arrive there want to share experiences?
Hi guys
I am a British RN living in Cochrane, please feel free to come over for coffee, wine etc. I will gladly help you navigate the world of nursing in Calgary. I have been here for 3 1/2 years and love it. Wishing you luck with the move xx
Old Jul 9th 2012, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Red face Re: Three weeks to Calgary

Originally Posted by Helen Louise
Hi guys
I am a British RN living in Cochrane, please feel free to come over for coffee, wine etc. I will gladly help you navigate the world of nursing in Calgary. I have been here for 3 1/2 years and love it. Wishing you luck with the move xx
Hi we may well take you up on that offer. We are staying with a friend in glen eagles estate for first week or so. We arrive on 26th and it would bd good for chris to pick your brains a little! Thank you for the offer x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.