Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on my itinerary please

Thoughts on my itinerary please

Old Jan 18th 2016, 10:20 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on my itinerary please

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Can I come? What's so great about Peggy's Cove? Just had a google, lots of people but why?
Yes, of course you can come. Peggy's Cove because it's touristy and T wants to do tourist crap.
Originally Posted by dbd33
Recently, near Digby, we rented some horses and went for a trail ride on the beach. We did the same at Bryce Canyon. I should think that would be an activity easily organized in the Rockies and would allow a different view of scenery without all that wearying trudging hikers go in for.
Fantastic idea!! We can do camel rides on the beach here (well, just north of us) so a horseback ride through the Rockies would be amazing. He'd love that.
Originally Posted by dbd33
That's a yes from me. It looks beautiful.
Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I would choose a stopover at Banff rather than Jasper but I am not too sure as to how that affects the train journey. My uncle did a road trip from Banff to Jasper one May. He was shocked to have to clear 4 inches of snow off his vehicle when he woke one morning! Waterways may still be frozen at the time of year you are contemplating.
We wanted to do Banff, but the train only stops there and we would have to get a bus to Calgary then up to Edmonton. It used to go all the way through, but doesn't anymore which is a shame. About 34 years ago I lived in Canmore and worked in Banff. I'm betting it's changed a whole lot since then.
Originally Posted by leith
Edmonton - absolute must - fit in a hockey game. The Edmonton Oilers hockey team is a Canadian icon. Your boy will have a great time.
I never thought of a hockey game. That's something we could do. I took him to see the Canada vs US exhibition game here in Perth last June and he thought it was a lot of fun - although mostly he was laughing at me singing along with Stompin' Tom and the Hockey Song.
Originally Posted by Siouxie
An extra day or two in Hong Kong - there is so much to see and if it's unlikely you will be there again it seems an awful shame to only spend 1 day there. It's a fascinating city! Take a trip on the Star Ferry, go to the night market, walk around Ladder Street, take a tram, watch the Dragon Boat Festival (June 9th), go to Aberdeen and have lunch on the Jumbo Floating Restaurant, go to Stanley, ride on the Peak Tram, go to Ocean Park (and take a cable ride) watch the horse racing at Sha Tin, visit the 10,000 Buddha monastery.... to name just a very few!

I think we may stop in HK on the way home. Nothing's booked yet except the 5 weeks off work so we're pretty flexible.
Originally Posted by JamesM
I'd take a couple of extra days in Vancouver and go to Vancouver Island.
That would be good too. Or maybe to the gulf islands for a few days R&R. I seem to remember Saltspring was nice
Originally Posted by JamesM
10 days in Southern Ontario is a long time as a tourist. Even if you do go to Hooters everyday.
I know, but my family mostly live in the Burlington/Oakville area and we have to spend time with them.
Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'd go the other way round and spend the time in Europe.
Europe is next year.
Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Peggy's Cove, dear me.
What can I say? We want to do tourist crap, so tourist crap it shall be.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
You're going to love Edmonton. They have a big shopping centre, amazing architecture, lots of big pick-up trucks, a Keg and a Montana's, where you can apparently get a beer that served in a boot shaped glass.
You get the boot shaped glass in sunny Coquitlam!!
Old Jan 20th 2016, 12:05 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Can I come? What's so great about Peggy's Cove? Just had a google, lots of people but why?
It's very pretty and a must-see for sure. Here is my favourite photo that I took last summer with my iPhone
Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on my itinerary please-image.jpg  
Old Jan 20th 2016, 2:14 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
It's very pretty and a must-see for sure. Here is my favourite photo that I took last summer with my iPhone
nice! And no people to spoil the photo
Old Jan 20th 2016, 8:55 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

You're choosing Jasper/Edmonton over Calgary/Banff? Odd. Maybe rent a car and drive Jasper-Banff-Calgary - you really do need a car in the Rockies. No real need to see Edmonton.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 11:44 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
You're choosing Jasper/Edmonton over Calgary/Banff? Odd. Maybe rent a car and drive Jasper-Banff-Calgary - you really do need a car in the Rockies. No real need to see Edmonton.
My sister lives in Cold Lake, so she's driving down to meet us. Otherwise I would have done the Banff train then drive to Calgary and fly from there to Halifax. I lived in Canmore 33 years ago.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 11:55 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
My sister lives in Cold Lake, so she's driving down to meet us. Otherwise I would have done the Banff train then drive to Calgary and fly from there to Halifax. I lived in Canmore 33 years ago.
Cold Lake - Perth - I can see someone drew the short straw.

Edmonton makes a modicum of sense then.

Banff will not have changed much, but Canmore has grown (outside the park).
Old Jan 20th 2016, 12:08 pm
Still alive

Originally Posted by Shard
Cold Lake - Perth - I can see someone drew the short straw.

Edmonton makes a modicum of sense then.

Banff will not have changed much, but Canmore has grown (outside the park).
She was military and spent her last few years there before she retired and for some reason liked it. I, on the other hand, would give your left testicle to leave Perth.

I did like Calgary last time I was there so we may have to look into that and give sis a miss.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 12:36 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Dorothy
She was military and spent her last few years there before she retired and for some reason liked it. I, on the other hand, would give your left testicle to leave Perth.

I did like Calgary last time I was there so we may have to look into that and give sis a miss.
Do you not like Perth? I've never been, but have heard it's pleasant enough, just a bit far away from anything I suppose. Perth, Perthshire on the other hand, very nice!

Given how far you are travelling, get Sis to meet you in Jasper and you can maximise your itinerary. It's a slightly longer drive for her (double!), but not excessive by Canadian/Australian standards.