Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on moving from NS to BC

Thoughts on moving from NS to BC

Old Mar 3rd 2015, 6:02 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on moving from NS to BC

Originally Posted by woodworm
to me, Nova Scotia is nice from June to November. The rest of the year sucks.
That's why we spent the last months in Madeira, Algarve and Southern Spain... I am already dreading flying back to Canada next week.
So my ideal life in Canada looks like that: spend 183 days during the summer/fall in NS and leave for the winter , If it's good for the birds , it's good for me
Seems a very good set up.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 7:17 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodworm
to me, Nova Scotia is nice from June to November. The rest of the year sucks.
That's why we spent the last months in Madeira, Algarve and Southern Spain... I am already dreading flying back to Canada next week.
So my ideal life in Canada looks like that: spend 183 days during the summer/fall in NS and leave for the winter , If it's good for the birds , it's good for me
That's pretty much what I do. From about November 1 to April 1 here in Arizona and the rest of the year in Nova Scotia. Works well for me. It's 26 C on my patio at the moment.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

galaxyandminstrels is an unknown quantity at this point

Heading to a warmer destination for the winter months is not an option for us as we need to work and have a young family hence our interest in moving to a warmer climate in Canada, not the USA or Europe! !
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 8:05 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by galaxyandminstrels
Heading to a warmer destination for the winter months is not an option for us as we need to work and have a young family hence our interest in moving to a warmer climate in Canada, not the USA or Europe! !
It's not all a bed of roses here you know. We had a touch of frost on the ground this morning!
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
It's not all a bed of roses here you know. We had a touch of frost on the ground this morning!
So tempting.....how I would love to see frost right now!!
Old Mar 4th 2015, 12:49 am
Just Joined

Lost Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been in Nova Scotia for 16 years now and it really is killing me. I have to stay another 6 years in my job here before retirement then I am out of here. The reasons have been well documented by myself and others and include:
No mountains, just flat swamp land with scrubby deformed trees
Crap climate, no spring, 6 months of winter, brutally humid in summer
Bland non-controversial people spouting platitudes (OK, maybe like that everywhere in Canada)
Nanny state government philosophy
Taxed to the hilt

I'm looking to move to the foothills of the Rockies, from Golden in northern BC to Cranbrook, or similar in Alberta. Suburban to rural. Can anyone suggest Nirvana for an outdoors loving guy who would happily live in a one-room shack on the side of a mountain but has a wife who would prefer a 3 bed house not far from Nubody gym?
Old Mar 4th 2015, 1:30 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lost Boy
Can anyone suggest Nirvana for an outdoors loving guy who would happily live in a one-room shack on the side of a mountain but has a wife who would prefer a 3 bed house not far from Nubody gym?
Divorce?
Old Mar 4th 2015, 2:58 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Divorce?
What about that thing they do on Channel 4 with the fruit bowl and the car keys? I'm trying to introduce that to Mill Bay but so far only 7 takers.....
Old Mar 4th 2015, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

shez1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes just on way to peggys cove. We have just returned from a lovely Uk trip but dont want to move back there either. We have been in hfx for 7 years this summer. Love east coast living, but returning to such a bad winter made me hate the snow. Being british I can handle rain as in BC. We too would be downsizing with less outdoor space, but as me and hubby agree, we would not be able to manage the snow and our property in our elder years so would have to move then anyway. We love canada so feel BC may be a good fit. We only really just decided, so plan a trip and more research into aeas, but looking around abbotsford,hope and chillliwack
Old Mar 4th 2015, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shez1
Yes just on way to peggys cove. We have just returned from a lovely Uk trip but dont want to move back there either. We have been in hfx for 7 years this summer. Love east coast living, but returning to such a bad winter made me hate the snow. Being british I can handle rain as in BC. We too would be downsizing with less outdoor space, but as me and hubby agree, we would not be able to manage the snow and our property in our elder years so would have to move then anyway. We love canada so feel BC may be a good fit. We only really just decided, so plan a trip and more research into aeas, but looking around abbotsford,hope and chillliwack
Hope is nice, very scenic but not a lot going on there. It was where the movie first blood was filmed BTW. Depends what you are looking for but IMO Abbotsford and Chilliwack are 2 of the last places I would choose to live in BC.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shez1
Good luck with your search!

Keep us posted on how you get on.

I have looked at those areas myself but did not find them very appealing so am interested as to why you are looking to make the move there.

Have you looked at Vancouver Island? It would give you the coast if that's something you currently enjoy.

Will you be looking for work? Perhaps that is a factor in your choice of area?
Old Mar 4th 2015, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jossie
Hope...It was where the movie first blood was filmed
Only a short bit where Stallone walked across a bridge.

The bridge isn't there any more - it was demolished in October 2011.

Abbotsford and Chilliwack are 2 of the last places I would choose to live in BC.

Hope is about the cheapest place to live - if we didn't need to work, we would probably buy a mansion in Hope!

Chilliwack is a little too far out and is pretty much based around farming and god bothering.

Abbotsford isn't bad. Nicest areas to live are Sumas Mountain, Clayburn and where we are in a 'rural' sub-division of 250 single family homes in and old quarry west of Mt. Lehman. Shopping is pretty good the selection of eating-out places isn't. A lot of people (racists) are put off by the fact that approx 20-25% of the population are Indo-Canadian. We currently live in a rented place on the west side of Abbotsford in a new sub-division between Mt. Lehman and Aldergrove. It has a popluation mix which pretty much matches the census figures. There are some areas where the ethnic mix is highly concentrated with Indo-Canadians, but the same also goes for various flavours of god botherers, as Abbotsford has a large Mennonite community. It's the first time that I've seen churches with hundreds of car park spaces....

Chilliwack is very affordable for the Fraser Valley as a whole, however if you want a nice house, you won't be working in Chilliwack.

Some areas of Mission are nice, but again, you won't be working there if you want a nice house and Mission is quite a drive from Langley/Surrey/Vancouver, although it has the joke that is the West Coast Express (morning and evening commuter service ONLY) into Vancouver.

We are in the process of buying a house in Maple Ridge. It has the best mix of environment, accessibility and affordability in our opinion. There is a good choice of new homes as Maple Ridge is a growing City. They have managed to keep a lot of green space in the new developments and also mainly avoid the grid layout for streets and avenues in the new areas around Silver Valley and Albion. They are trying to get a balanced property mix in these new areas (High end houses down through to townhouses and apartments), much to the disgust of the early-adopters of the new areas in approx 2004 onwards, who were expecting some sort of high-end enclave, particularly in Silver Valley. They should have read the Maple Ridge Development Plan, which has been around since 2002 and clearly showed the property mix...

Last edited by withabix; Mar 4th 2015 at 1:36 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
Only a short bit where Stallone walked across a bridge.

The bridge isn't there any more - it was demolished in October 2011
There was quite a bit more than just the bridge scene that was filmed there. The gas station scene, also when he rides through the town on the motorcycle. Buildings were also constructed for the set there (and were blownup.) And the scene where he jumps down the mountainside was filmed at the Othello Quintette Tunnels there plus lots more.

Originally Posted by withabix
Hope is about the cheapest place to live - if we didn't need to work, we would probably buy a mansion in Hope!

Chilliwack is a little too far out and is pretty much based around farming and god bothering.

Abbotsford isn't bad. Nicest areas to live are Sumas Mountain, Clayburn and where we are in a 'rural' sub-division of 250 single family homes in and old quarry west of Mt. Lehman. Shopping is pretty good the selection of eating-out places isn't. A lot of people (racists) are put off by the fact that approx 20-25% of the population are Indo-Canadian. We currently live in a rented place on the west side of Abbotsford in a new sub-division between Mt. Lehman and Aldergrove. It has a popluation mix which pretty much matches the census figures. There are some areas where the ethnic mix is highly concentrated with Indo-Canadians, but the same also goes for various flavours of god botherers, as Abbotsford has a large Mennonite community. It's the first time that I've seen churches with hundreds of car park spaces....

Chilliwack is very affordable for the Fraser Valley as a whole, however if you want a nice house, you won't be working in Chilliwack.

Some areas of Mission are nice, but again, you won't be working there if you want a nice house and Mission is quite a drive from Langley/Surrey/Vancouver, although it has the joke that is the West Coast Express (morning and evening commuter service ONLY) into Vancouver.

We are in the process of buying a house in Maple Ridge. It has the best mix of environment, accessibility and affordability in our opinion. There is a good choice of new homes as Maple Ridge is a growing City. They have managed to keep a lot of green space in the new developments and also mainly avoid the grid layout for streets and avenues in the new areas around Silver Valley and Albion. They are trying to get a balanced property mix in these new areas (High end houses down through to townhouses and apartments), much to the disgust of the early-adopters of the new areas in approx 2004 onwards, who were expecting some sort of high-end enclave, particularly in Silver Valley. They should have read the Maple Ridge Development Plan, which has been around since 2002 and clearly showed the property mix...
I know what you mean about Chilliwack especially the farming as it has a pretty distinct smell! Maple Ridge seems like a nice area though. Good luck with the new house.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

There was quite a bit more than just the bridge scene that was filmed there. The gas station scene, also when he rides through the town on the motorcycle. Buildings were also constructed for the set there (and were blownup.) And the scene where he jumps down the mountainside was filmed at the Othello Quintette Tunnels there plus lots more.
I should watch the film again. Maybe it was that the only still-recognisable bit was the bridge? We visited in July 2011 whilst it was still there next to the new concrete bridge. I have some photos on my Facebook somewhere!
Old Mar 4th 2015, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

shez1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have also looked into maple ridge and looking i to vancouver island. Since we aeare just beggining our research, this forum is great

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.