Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thomas Cook or Monarch?

Thomas Cook or Monarch?

Old Oct 27th 2009, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Glassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the rough
Default Thomas Cook or Monarch?

Given the choice of these two carriers, who would you fly with to Calgary?

Cheers All

Glassy
Old Oct 27th 2009, 5:43 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thomas Cook or Monarch?

Originally Posted by Glassy

Cheers All

Glassy
I'd stay at home if that was the choice!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 5:46 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
I'd stay at home if that was the choice!
Why? Thomas Cook is said to have the most generous leg room pitch in "Steerage Class" of any of the carriers.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

micknev is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers All

Glassy
Just returned from 2wks in Florida,always normally use BA,this time used Monarch,very surprised and impressed,better than Virgin.Spoke to people who had used Thomas cook,and they were not impressed with them.
I know same carriers can vary on service,and others might report differently but on this showing would reccommend Monarch.
P.S.£40 upgrade is well worth it if available.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 5:50 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Why? Thomas Cook is said to have the most generous leg room pitch in "Steerage Class" of any of the carriers.
I am not a great fan of charter carriers
Old Oct 27th 2009, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by micknev
Just returned from 2wks in Florida,always normally use BA,this time used Monarch,very surprised and impressed,better than Virgin.Spoke to people who had used Thomas cook,and they were not impressed with them.
I know same carriers can vary on service,and others might report differently...
Totally agree with your last comment. Have used both (neither would be my first choice, to be honest) and out of Thomas Cook and Monarch, I would actually fly Thomas Cook again...which is more than can be said for Monarch. Their flight was the most awful, filthy old plane, unfriendly cabin crew and they charged for water if you wanted one between the in flight meals
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
I am not a great fan of charter carriers
Im not a great fan for paying more than I have too and will put up with a few hours of discomfort for the sake of saving a few bucks However, I'm not a fan of DVT, so seat pitch is of interest.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

jugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nice

We don't like charter flights but did fly with Monarch to Calgary in 2004 - never again!!

Crew were rude, plane was old and dirty, food was awful and the legroom was non-existent. Hence we vowed that even if they were the cheapest price, we would never fly with them again!

Last edited by jugapper; Oct 27th 2009 at 6:18 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

rschatha is an unknown quantity at this point

I presume baggage allowance is not an issue? I normally fly AC with 23kg per bag allowance and your allowed 2 pieces, thats a 46kg + 10Kg cabin luggage / person.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:26 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure how accurate this is but here's a list stating seat pitch for international routes. Monarch look to have the worst seat pitch.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Mon...s_A330-200.php

http://www.uk-air.net/seatpitch.htm
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

bzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to all

Cheers All

Glassy
We flew to Calgary with Thomas Cook, upgraded to their premium economy with extra baggage. They didn't charge me extra for being over the weight limit with my bags either. 'm not a fan of charte flights but this was one of the best.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 12:39 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm always amazed by people who say that wont fly with such a company etc.

All long haul flights are a bitch... unless you're in business or first class.
Economy is never a good experience, I dont care who you fly with.

For me, cheapest is best. Is there much difference between a $600 flight with Canadian Affair or a $2000 flight with Air Canada? Nope...
Dont care about the crew, dont care about the food. I just want to get where I'm going at a decent price.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 12:56 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Frequent flyer programs. If you fly even a moderate amount each year both the benefits and miles quickly add up. I have had status with AC since 2001 and have never sat in economy for the last eight years (and only bought one business ticket in that time, purely to ensure I made Elite again). There are a number of airlines that still offer decent upgrade programs and these are worth exploiting. Couple this with earning miles and life can be good and cheap. My wife and are I off to Cancun for 5 nights over Xmas. Two business class tickets on AC from Toronto for free (apart from taxes), 5 free nights in a 5 star hotel (from hotel points), upgrade to club level with free breakfast, drinks and snacks etc etc.
There really are a lot of benefits to loyalty IMO.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 4:44 am
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers All

Glassy
Thomas Cook every time. Have never had a bad TC flight but flew Monarch only once and never again. Old aircraft creaking all the way, food like pigs slop.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

I have never had a good flight with Monarch to Europe but haven't flown long haul with them. I found them amateurish and chaotic. We booked a holiday in the summer and I told the travel agent I didn't want to fly with Monarch - she said she got that a lot.

Last edited by singingringingtree; Oct 28th 2009 at 8:05 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.