Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thomas Cook Baggage Allowance

Thomas Cook Baggage Allowance

Old Sep 15th 2009, 12:30 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thomas Cook Baggage Allowance

Originally Posted by bzriddell
Try Parcelforce
Parcel force comes into Canada through Purolator, it travels on an aircraft as Cargo, the airline make money out of it so do parcel Force and still has to clear customs. It may be cheaper surface, but takes 6 - 8 weeks to arrive. As it is personal effects only the shipper can do the clearance, otherwise taxes will be charged and you'll have to go through the hassle of trying to reclaim them.

How much money is likley to be saved here anyway that is worth all the aggravation. As was said before, just take it excess and you may or may not have to pay the extra. All too often we try and save a few $$ that ends up costing $$$$ in money time and effort and possible inconvenience. I for one used to do it, not any more.

If the OP is coming for just a few weeks and then leaving, it could end up costing way more than excess. In addition, as the shipper and importer without an address here, that is going to complicate things a lot at the point of clearance and taxes will probably be charged and then have to be reclaimed when taking the goods back out of the country at the airport.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

bzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to all

Sorry!! We sent 3 large boxes with Parcelforce, took only 6 days door to door
Old Sep 15th 2009, 1:50 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bzriddell
Sorry!! We sent 3 large boxes with Parcelforce, took only 6 days door to door
Not by surface, or that would have been one super fast boat. That would have been by air, Parcel Force use both. Air cargo can be done same day, between Europe and North America, two to three days is the norm depending on the routing and the carrier. However surface (comes by boat and train) takes a lot longer, costs less but you have to wait for it, 6 to 8 weeks Europe to north America, can be a bit longer going the other way.

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 15th 2009 at 2:36 am.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

KS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really nice

Originally Posted by spooooook
You can also carry your laptop onto the plane, and this isn't counted in the 5kg hand luggage allowance.
Are you sure? I'm flying out of Manchester with Thomas Cook next month and when I emailed Canadian Affair to ask if laptops were included as part of the 5kg carry-on I was told that they were.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

lindamcc is an unknown quantity at this point

check out Air Transat web site as this is who you will be travelling with lots of good information regarding upgrades and prepaying for excess baggage
Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by KS2008
Are you sure? I'm flying out of Manchester with Thomas Cook next month and when I emailed Canadian Affair to ask if laptops were included as part of the 5kg carry-on I was told that they were.
Each carrier has their own policies regarding carry on. Extra pax weight means less cargo revenue space available, so airlines are cutting down on what can be carried, particularly the budget airlines. Passengers want cheaper fares and these cannot be achieved with the frills of the scheduled carriers or the liberal attitude to weight of the past. Ask your carrier, they are the only ones who can definitively give you their current restrictions. Usually this information is on their website.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:45 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deeb81
Hi All

I'm flying out to Toronto in a few weeks with Thomas Cook on a BUNAC visa.

At first I thought the 20kg (!) baggage allowance would suit me as I'm planning to travel light and just take clothes, my laptop and camera and nothing else.

BUT I've just started packing and I'm already up to the 20kg limit and havent got nearly enough stuff! I've been brutal with what clothes to take but I've still got far too much.

I called Canadian Affair who I booked my flights through to ask if I could increase my baggage allowance and they said the only way I could do this would be to upgrade to Premium Class and get a 30kg allowance. But of course all the Premium Class seats on my flight are sold out! So the lady told me just to go with 10kg extra and pay £100 at check in (which would be the same price to upgrade to Premium anyway).

Does anyone know of a better way for me to take/send more stuff (mainly clothes)? I thought about maybe sending a bag with another carrier on the day - is this possible?
A few tricks I've used to avoid excess baggage fees:

1) Place all small heavy items in your laptop bag (if it's over 5kg don't worry - they rarely weigh carry on unless it looks bulky)
2) Wear your winter jacket and stuff the pockets with small heavy items
3) When placing your case on the scales, make sure it's hanging over your side of the counter then stick your foot under it and prop it up
4) Be nice and friendly with the check in staff
Old Sep 15th 2009, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

deeb81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rob_999
A few tricks I've used to avoid excess baggage fees:

1) Place all small heavy items in your laptop bag (if it's over 5kg don't worry - they rarely weigh carry on unless it looks bulky)
2) Wear your winter jacket and stuff the pockets with small heavy items
3) When placing your case on the scales, make sure it's hanging over your side of the counter then stick your foot under it and prop it up
4) Be nice and friendly with the check in staff
Thanks that sounds like good advice!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

KS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really nice

Originally Posted by lindamcc
check out Air Transat web site as this is who you will be travelling with lots of good information regarding upgrades and prepaying for excess baggage
Canadian Affairs uses both Air Transat and Thomas Cook Airways. Looking at their websites, Air Transat allows one piece of carry-on and a laptop, while Thomas Cook only allows one item.

Of course, to confuse matters further, I've just noticed that while my particular flight was supposed to be with Thomas Cook it isn't actually listed on their website, but Air Transat does have one listed on that date/time but they say that it is with TC. I suspect that I'm going to be stuck with the more restrictive TC rules, but I'm going to have to email them to check.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:56 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by deeb81
Hi All

I'm flying out to Toronto in a few weeks with Thomas Cook on a BUNAC visa.

At first I thought the 20kg (!) baggage allowance would suit me as I'm planning to travel light and just take clothes, my laptop and camera and nothing else.

BUT I've just started packing and I'm already up to the 20kg limit and havent got nearly enough stuff! I've been brutal with what clothes to take but I've still got far too much.

I called Canadian Affair who I booked my flights through to ask if I could increase my baggage allowance and they said the only way I could do this would be to upgrade to Premium Class and get a 30kg allowance. But of course all the Premium Class seats on my flight are sold out! So the lady told me just to go with 10kg extra and pay £100 at check in (which would be the same price to upgrade to Premium anyway).

Does anyone know of a better way for me to take/send more stuff (mainly clothes)? I thought about maybe sending a bag with another carrier on the day - is this possible?
When we came out in May our bags were 8 & 9 k over. The lady just smiled sweetly stuck the lable's on and off they went. Not a penny extra was asked for.

We flew out of Birmingham

Fingers crossed you might have the same luck.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Miss Clinque
When we came out in May our bags were 8 & 9 k over. The lady just smiled sweetly stuck the lable's on and off they went. Not a penny extra was asked for.

We flew out of Birmingham

Fingers crossed you might have the same luck.
I hope I'm that lucky!!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

kate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant future

When placing your case on the scales, make sure it's hanging over your side of the counter then stick your foot under it and prop it up
That made me laugh! Will try next time!

Thomas cook but not air transit allow 20kg of "sporting equipment" could any of your packing be classed this way? I can honestly say ours has never been checked and have many times resorted to putting our dirty washing in with OH's fishing gear. We also once packed our sons skateboard in with the fishing gear - could be classed as sporting equipment could it???

Worth a try - but you need to book it with them.

Good luck
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kate holt
That made me laugh! Will try next time!

Thomas cook but not air transit allow 20kg of "sporting equipment" could any of your packing be classed this way? I can honestly say ours has never been checked and have many times resorted to putting our dirty washing in with OH's fishing gear. We also once packed our sons skateboard in with the fishing gear - could be classed as sporting equipment could it???

Worth a try - but you need to book it with them.

Good luck
Thanks for that!

I'm not taking any sporting equipment but I did notice on the website that as of the 21st May 2009, you can take a free ski/snowboard/boot bag weighing up to 10kg!!

I think I'll buy a ski boot bag and chance my arm - and hope it doesnt get checked!

Thanks for the tip!