Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

thinking Ottawa

thinking Ottawa

Old Aug 30th 2008, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Wee Hels has a spectacular aura aboutWee Hels has a spectacular aura aboutWee Hels has a spectacular aura about
Red face thinking Ottawa

Having gone through the "can I do this" phase, I'm back on board for moving to Canada, not that I've raised it again with family!! We are close and I'll get a hard time from them. Any tips on dealing with this side of things. Canada must offer a better life for little people than here in the UK or am I being too harsh on ol' Blighty?? I guess being a bobby I see the worst side of people day in day out and judgement can get clouded.

Ottawa or the surrounds such as Guelph or Kanata are the places we are thinking of and hopefully gonna do a reccie next year? Any advice on good areas to stay or must sees/do's whilst we are there?
Old Aug 31st 2008, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Deeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to all
Default Re: thinking Ottawa

Hello
We have just returned from a short stay in Ottawa, we stayed in the Minto Suites Hotel on Lyon Street.
We had a one bed suite which had a living room,kitchen,separate bedroom and even a little laundry room.Booked on Expedia.
It took us about 10 mins to walk Downtown,we weren't going fast as it was very hot!
Ottawa is quite compact and we were able to walk to all that we wanted to see.There were some activities out of town that we fancied (white water rafting,Science Museum,Tree Top Walk ) so if you want to get the most out of the trip I would reccommend a car.
Downtown the Rideau Locks are worth a look and we enjoyed the Canal and River boat trips.
There are a no of museums,we found the open top bus trip a good way to orientate ourselves and you can hop on and off at various points.
Lastly the Ghost Walk was really interesting and well worth the money.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Deeny
Old Aug 31st 2008, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Wee Hels has a spectacular aura aboutWee Hels has a spectacular aura aboutWee Hels has a spectacular aura about

Cheers for that, was Ottawa as nice as I've heard?
Old Aug 31st 2008, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Deeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to all

Well we liked it. We went there from Toronto and found it much greener and even more laid back than there.
At first we felt it may be a bit too quiet but it grew on us.
It is certainly a very liveable city, even in the height of summer it wasn't heaving, and it was easy to get around.
There are some beautiful buildings and we really enjoyed walking along the canal, we were overtaken by the locals who all seem to run,cycle or rollerblade along there. Kayaking seemed quite popular too.
You can walk across to Gatineau, again very scenic with some gorgeous waterfront properties.
I don't know how your French is but although everyone spoke to us in English the predominant language we heard was French. We are seriously considering Ottawa in our emigration plans and therefore will be brushing up our French. That said you can manage perfectly well without.
One last consideration, the property prices at the moment are really affordable.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 9:44 pm
Banned

howardk will become famous soon enoughhowardk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Wee Hels
Having gone through the "can I do this" phase, I'm back on board for moving to Canada, not that I've raised it again with family!! We are close and I'll get a hard time from them. Any tips on dealing with this side of things. Canada must offer a better life for little people than here in the UK or am I being too harsh on ol' Blighty?? I guess being a bobby I see the worst side of people day in day out and judgement can get clouded.

Ottawa or the surrounds such as Guelph or Kanata are the places we are thinking of and hopefully gonna do a reccie next year? Any advice on good areas to stay or must sees/do's whilst we are there?
we lived in rural kanata for a year....just left to relocate in vancouver....kanata & ottawa very nice,beautiful cold winter and warm/hot summers...property is dirt cheap all through the range,schools good in kanata and plenty of sport for kids....nice place overall.....we left because we felt 'landlocked' having lived on the beach in new zealand for a few years....altho' we are english....lots of museums etc in ottawa and stuff to do...good hunting
Old Aug 31st 2008, 9:52 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by howardk
very nice,beautiful cold winter and warm/hot summers...
Lots of snow, average winter 236cm over 400cm last winter.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice

the snow was great last year, loads of boarding and didn't even need a 4WD!
Old Sep 1st 2008, 2:29 am
Banned

howardk will become famous soon enoughhowardk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by XCMTBer
the snow was great last year, loads of boarding and didn't even need a 4WD!
........exactly...kids skiing & boarding at local hills with friends all winter...
Old Sep 1st 2008, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Wee hels, Ottawa is one of our choices that or NS haven't been to NS and not going to for the moment thanks to Zoom should be there next month

Anyway we were in Ottawa last Easter OH is IT so probably will be in Kanata Looked at Manotick ( lovely must go and look at the houses there ) also some of the new areas in Kanata nice friendly neibourhoods where the kids were all out playing in there home ice rinks,

We stayed at the Carlton suites theres a pool gym sauna etc, 2 bedroom suites with kitchen/diner and lounge area great with young kids, underground parking thats extra so depending when you go it was snowing and quite cold when we were there, walked downtown 10 mins lots to see Parliment buildings and lots of French inspired buildings, very clean and diverse loved it, Took little man 7yr old to lots of Museums the science museum is great very hands on, good shopping and lots to do as Deeny said

We founds people very friendly and email some people we met in Walmart thats me though i talk to everyone they and others we have met have told us things about areas where the best schools are etc etc

Met 2 couples that have just moved to our village in the past few weeks that have come from Ottawa, they are giving us lots of information on the area which is fab.

Hope you have a great recci if i can be of any help feel free to PM

sue

So when we look on MLS we have an idea of what we are actually looking at
as i said we aren't sure where we will be going but Ottawa is at the top of my list
Old Sep 1st 2008, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Hi Wee hels, Ottawa is one of our choices that or NS haven't been to NS and not going to for the moment thanks to Zoom should be there next month

Anyway we were in Ottawa last Easter OH is IT so probably will be in Kanata Looked at Manotick ( lovely must go and look at the houses there ) also some of the new areas in Kanata nice friendly neibourhoods where the kids were all out playing in there home ice rinks,

We stayed at the Carlton suites theres a pool gym sauna etc, 2 bedroom suites with kitchen/diner and lounge area great with young kids, underground parking thats extra so depending when you go it was snowing and quite cold when we were there, walked downtown 10 mins lots to see Parliment buildings and lots of French inspired buildings, very clean and diverse loved it, Took little man 7yr old to lots of Museums the science museum is great very hands on, good shopping and lots to do as Deeny said

We founds people very friendly and email some people we met in Walmart thats me though i talk to everyone they and others we have met have told us things about areas where the best schools are etc etc

Met 2 couples that have just moved to our village in the past few weeks that have come from Ottawa, they are giving us lots of information on the area which is fab.

Hope you have a great recci if i can be of any help feel free to PM

sue

So when we look on MLS we have an idea of what we are actually looking at
as i said we aren't sure where we will be going but Ottawa is at the top of my list
Cheers all for the info. Canada just keeps growing on me!
Old Sep 1st 2008, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

compchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant future

Hi,

I live in Stittsville just outside of Kanata, about a 40 minute bus ride into downtown Ottawa. The west end of the city is very nice and quiet, lots of space and convinient to get around (I work in IT in Kanata). After coming from Stevenage in the UK I can definately say I like it here!

Kriss
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 11:51 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Guelph? That's over 300 miles away from here.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by compchris
Hi,

I live in Stittsville just outside of Kanata, about a 40 minute bus ride into downtown Ottawa. The west end of the city is very nice and quiet, lots of space and convinient to get around (I work in IT in Kanata). After coming from Stevenage in the UK I can definately say I like it here!

Kriss
OH was looking at IT in Kanata when we were there last Easter, we have friends in Stittsville looked a good area for families,

but then as you say coming from Stevenage
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 12:22 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

I know of a Policeman who moved from Manchester to Ottawa and is loving it. The job is much easier (less interesting maybe) than in the UK as the "problems" tend to be less hard to deal with.

PM if you want his contact details and I'll try to get them for you.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Guelph? That's over 300 miles away from here.
Geography was never a strong point!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.