Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving from Vancouver to Toronto

Wikiposts

Thinking of moving from Vancouver to Toronto

Old Jan 15th 2010, 8:46 am
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving from Vancouver to Toronto

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Me too. But I thought you lived in Etobicoke or Brampton or somewhere?
Weston
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:03 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Personally I couldn't give a toss whether a place is multicultural or not.
Same here - don't see what all the fuss is about.

Vancouver definitely lacks culturally (museums, art galleries, theatre etc) - think thats often confused with "multicultural" which most expats aren't really bothered about...
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:08 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob_999
Vancouver definitely lacks culturally (museums, art galleries, theatre etc) - think thats often confused with "multicultural" which most expats aren't really bothered about...
No, that's quite different.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:24 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

No, that's quite different.
yes - thats my point
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:25 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

yes - thats my point
I think he knew that.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:29 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

yes - thats my point

The multicultural aspects of Toronto, Montreal etc are what make them nice places to live. Vancouver, in my limited experience, simply has a large chinese minority and a couple of indian enclaves in the Valley.

Other than that the place is rather uninteresting.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:44 am
Bring on the snow!

The multicultural aspects of Toronto, Montreal etc are what make them nice places to live. Vancouver, in my limited experience, simply has a large chinese minority and a couple of indian enclaves in the Valley.

Other than that the place is rather uninteresting.
What multicultural aspects does TO have that make it interesting? I've only visited a couple of times and can't say I was impressed....

Agree about Van - its a typical north american city with an asia-light feel, but in a kick ass location.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:55 am
Born again atheist

What multicultural aspects does TO have that make it interesting? I've only visited a couple of times and can't say I was impressed....

Agree about Van - its a typical north american city with an asia-light feel, but in a kick ass location.
I'm sure others can comment with more authority, but in my view it is really refreshing that there are so many different ethnic communities in the city and the GTA. It's a cliche, but a true one, that we all live side by side with a remarkable degree of mutual respect. And the grub is fantastic!

I don't want to be too utopian, there are points of conflict, but they are IMHO, the exceptions.

As to Vancouver's location, it's more isolated than kick-ass. Some of the views are indeed pretty, but that's true of New Zealand as well, where I think Vancouver would be better off.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:57 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure others can comment with more authority, but in my view it is really refreshing that there are so many different ethnic communities in the city and the GTA. It's a cliche, but a true one, that we all live side by side with a remarkable degree of mutual respect. And the grub is fantastic!

I don't want to be too utopian, there are points of conflict, but they are IMHO, the exceptions.

As to Vancouver's location, it's more isolated than kick-ass. Some of the views are indeed pretty, but that's true of New Zealand as well, where I think Vancouver would be better off.

um, no. compared to NZ Van is practically the centre of it all. Nice try, middle of the continenter.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richardm123
To be honest I really miss living in a multi-cultural city and Toronto should fill that void for me so thank you for the advice.

Workwise, I came to Canada thinking that I would wash dishes if I had to but was fortunate enough to get my current job. I will still wash dishes if I have to.

Cheers for the information.
I'm moving from London to Toronto in June if you want t o PM me for a chat.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 10:10 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
um, no. compared to NZ Van is practically the centre of it all. Nice try, middle of the continenter.
Perhaps I overstated the case a tad, but surely not on the beauty of the places?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 10:40 am
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

What multicultural aspects does TO have that make it interesting?
I think a lot of people who come here to visit expect Toronto to be a certain way, and they end up missing what makes it so great while they try and figure out what's so great about the place, if that makes any sense . Toronto is essentially a city of cultural neighbourhoods, very old and well established ones. So food, shopping, cultural holidays, parades, international music, art, theatre, cinema, books and authors...you name it, the city is a cultural hub. It's probably the same thing you have in Vancouver, just "supersized".

Last edited by Bleepedy Bloops; Jan 15th 2010 at 10:44 am.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 10:50 am
Bring on the snow!

Perhaps I overstated the case a tad, but surely not on the beauty of the places?
From my house in Van - North Shore mts 10 min drive, world class skiing 1.5hrs drive, beach 2 min walk, kayaking & sailing 2 min walk, decent size city with reasonable job opportunities, 20 min drive. International airport 40 min drive. Seattle 3 hrs drive. Hardly isolated....

You don't have that in NZ. Aucklands a dump, Wellington is nice enough but no mountains & miles from anywhere, Christchurch is even more isolated & more like a town than a city.

I guess they both have mountains & lakes, plus it rains a lot...
Old Jan 15th 2010, 11:11 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

From my house in Van - North Shore mts 10 min drive, world class skiing 1.5hrs drive, beach 2 min walk, kayaking & sailing 2 min walk, decent size city with reasonable job opportunities, 20 min drive. International airport 40 min drive. Seattle 3 hrs drive. Hardly isolated....

You don't have that in NZ. Aucklands a dump, Wellington is nice enough but no mountains & miles from anywhere, Christchurch is even more isolated & more like a town than a city.

I guess they both have mountains & lakes, plus it rains a lot...
Very true. I've been here for years and never once thought of it as isolated at all. You also never mentioned the oregon coast which is kick ass.

It seems to have become a sport these days slamming Vancouver, while i tend to agree that it lacks things, such as museums and what have you, its still a very nice place to live. It does need to do a bit of growing up though.

I do like Toronto though, but for entirely different reasons than vancouver.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 11:22 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Very true. I've been here for years and never once thought of it as isolated at all. You also never mentioned the oregon coast which is kick ass.

It seems to have become a sport these days slamming Vancouver, while i tend to agree that it lacks things, such as museums and what have you, its still a very nice place to live. It does need to do a bit of growing up though.

I do like Toronto though, but for entirely different reasons than vancouver.
I don't feel that isolated ... at work yes cos I work with people in the UK and they've normally mostly gone home by the time I rock up to work. Outside work, nah, not really.

I think that a lot of the slamming of vancouver is a reaction to how up it's arse the city council and the media is. Can't they just let it be what it is without going on about world class this and that at every possible opportunity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.