Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving from Toronto to Ottawa?

Thinking of moving from Toronto to Ottawa?

Old Jun 2nd 2013, 10:58 pm
TRC
Forum Regular

TRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thinking of moving from Toronto to Ottawa?

I currently live Toronto and want to move to Ottawa as I've heard there is better job opportunities there, I don't speak French though.

I currently live in Davisville, love the area, so would live a similar type of area to live in, if someone could recommend a some areas I would like to check them out. I like Toronto, I just hate the TTC, job situation (girl friend is a teacher) also quite a few crazy people here and homeless I don't like. I dont like the wind here either, such a windy city, I'm not sure if Ottawa is the same?

Love how much there is to do here and the amount of bars and restaurants. Always something going on, so a bit worried Ottawa maybe a bit boring?

Any advice from people that have moved from one to the other is appreciated, I guess the cost of living is higher in Toronto?
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 1:38 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving from Toronto to Ottawa?

Lived in Ottawa for a year and overall really liked it. Never lived in Toronto and never will. Rarely impressed by it when I visit. I'd have no problem living in Ottawa again though.

Jobs - french is a big advantage.
Weather - maybe not as windy but it'll be colder than Toronto in winter.
Homeless - plenty of them downtown
It's big enough that there is likely enough to keep you interested. Byward Market is always good for bars/restaurants.

I lived in the area around the Glebe and Little Italy near Bronson Avenue/Carling Avenue. Very high in students due to proximity to Carleton University but a lovely area overall.

Might want to pick spots close to the "O Train" stops if you're not fussed on commuting.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 11:53 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRC
I currently live Toronto and want to move to Ottawa as I've heard there is better job opportunities there, I don't speak French though.

I currently live in Davisville, love the area, so would live a similar type of area to live in, if someone could recommend a some areas I would like to check them out. I like Toronto, I just hate the TTC, job situation (girl friend is a teacher) also quite a few crazy people here and homeless I don't like. I dont like the wind here either, such a windy city, I'm not sure if Ottawa is the same?

Love how much there is to do here and the amount of bars and restaurants. Always something going on, so a bit worried Ottawa maybe a bit boring?

Any advice from people that have moved from one to the other is appreciated, I guess the cost of living is higher in Toronto?
I never lived in TO and I don't live in Ottawa but Oakville to Gatineau is close enough for jazz.

The French bit will depend rather a lot on what your job is. It's not really an issue unless you are doing something governmentish. Be aware that the job market is a bit rough here at the moment. Thousand of federal government employees are being fired, as are consultants. Those folk will all be looking for new jobs.

There are plenty of homeless and crazies in Ottawa. They are mostly found on King Edward and in the Vanier sector.

Weather is different here. I know what you mean by the wind. Ottawa doesn't have those wind tunnels leading off the lake. It is certainly colder here in winter and it snows more than it does in TO. The summer is probably hotter. Much of July is usually brutal, with very high humidity. The air quality here is way better than in TO. We do get quite a few earthquakes, though.

The cost of living is almost certainly lower here. Property definitely is (particularly if you cross the river).

Ottawa is much smaller than TO so there will obviously be fewer bars, restaurants etc. There are still plenty of them. The Byward Market is the main centre of stuff like that but it is far from being the only one.

You didn't mention outdoor life. There is plenty of that here and it's very close to hand. Winter sports, cycling, beaches on the lakes - all on your doorstep.

You are really not all that far away from here. Why not come up for a weekend and have a look?
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Toronto for 7 years and have visited both Toronto and Ottawa frequently. I must admit that my knowledge of Ottawa is nowhere near my knowledge of Toronto. My experience of Ottawa is limited mostly to downtown (including Byward Market) and Carleton University and environs.

In Toronto, I lived just north of Davisville and know that general area very well - still visit there frequently. You're living in a great area. I think Toronto has better nightlife so you might find that aspect a bit disappointing in Ottawa after having lived in Toronto first (although Montreal is only 2 hrs from Ottawa). Toronto does have a higher cost of living. It's typically colder and snowier in Ottawa. I wouldn't consider such a move without one or two good recce trips to Ottawa - which should be easy to do as you are within driving distance of Ottawa.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:08 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with what Souvy said regarding living here.

I only know Toronto from visits for work mainly, but good neighbourhoods to check out here:
Glebe, Westboro/Wellington, New Edinburgh, Old Ottawa South

I doubt you'll find the nightlife as vibrant as Toronto, but the city has lots of other things going for it - affordable, plenty of green space, biking, museums etc. I moved here from London UK and don't find it too dull.

One point to note if one of you is looking for teaching work, there's a big oversupply here. This is based on the experiences I've heard about from various (Canadian) teachers who have recently qualified or moved here.

Unless you are teaching in French to immersion classes, it seems to be very difficult to get anything other than limited hours substitute teaching.

This doesn't seem to be uncommon for Ontario, but I'm told the situation here is tougher than Toronto by someone who has experienced both.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 11:30 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemonfish

I only know Toronto from visits for work mainly, but good neighbourhoods to check out here:

I doubt you'll find the nightlife as vibrant as Toronto, but the city has lots of other things going for it - affordable, plenty of green space, biking, museums etc. I moved here from London UK and don't find it too dull.

One point to note if one of you is looking for teaching work, there's a big oversupply here. This is based on the experiences I've heard about from various (Canadian) teachers who have recently qualified or moved here.

Unless you are teaching in French to immersion classes, it seems to be very difficult to get anything other than limited hours substitute teaching.

This doesn't seem to be uncommon for Ontario, but I'm told the situation here is tougher than Toronto by someone who has experienced both.
To follow-on:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle12357404/
Old Jun 7th 2013, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by orly
Might want to pick spots close to the "O Train" stops if you're not fussed on commuting.
Or the transitway, which will give more choice of areas. Plus, a vast chunk of it will be converted to light rail in the coming years.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 11:58 am
Slob

Originally Posted by wolstie
Or the transitway, which will give more choice of areas. Plus, a vast chunk of it will be converted to light rail in the coming years.
Ditto Rapibus, on my side of the Great Divide. If they ever finish it, it will make northern and eastern Gatineau a lot more accessible to people working in Ottawa.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Souvy
Ditto Rapibus, on my side of the Great Divide. If they ever finish it, it will make northern and eastern Gatineau a lot more accessible to people working in Ottawa.
Slated for an October start... (i'm in the transit 'industry')
Old Jun 7th 2013, 1:05 pm
Slob

Slated for an October start... (i'm in the transit 'industry')
What? You're a bus driver?

I think the Rapibus will prove to be very popular with the wage slaves working in Portage and Chaudieres. That will get a fair few cars off the road.

It's almost as good as the now-completed highway 50.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 1:13 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemonfish

I think the teacher oversupply and difficulties in obtaining full time, permanent work is pretty much universal across Canada. Too many teachers, too few jobs, union seniority rules etc etc.

My SIL lived in the Glebe. I liked that area and quite like Ottawa in general. Personally I'd take it above TO any day of the week. SIL now lives in Stittsville which is OK in a commuter suburb sort of way. It seems to be reasonable well served by public transit which is a bonus.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 1:31 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I think the teacher oversupply and difficulties in obtaining full time, permanent work is pretty much universal across Canada. Too many teachers, too few jobs, union seniority rules etc etc.

My SIL lived in the Glebe. I liked that area and quite like Ottawa in general. Personally I'd take it above TO any day of the week. SIL now lives in Stittsville which is OK in a commuter suburb sort of way. It seems to be reasonable well served by public transit which is a bonus.
There are undoubtedly Glebeish bits of TO but I would also take Ottawa over TO any day.

I do sometimes wonder when people start using the number of bars, restaurants, clubs, museums etc as a criterion for selecting a city to live in. How often do most people frequent such places?

A real downtown would be much higher up my list than the number of places one can observe sculptures made of moose dung that poignantly depict the miseries visited upon the natives by the European settlers, or some such bollocks.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

What? You're a bus driver?

I think the Rapibus will prove to be very popular with the wage slaves working in Portage and Chaudieres. That will get a fair few cars off the road.

It's almost as good as the now-completed highway 50.
Planner.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:25 pm
Slob

Planner.
Oh, one of them............
Old Jun 7th 2013, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh, one of them............
Ha ha ha. I was recently called a 'genius' by one of our schedulers. Took me a while to realise it wasn't a complement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.