Reload this Page >

Thinking of Moving to Ontario

Thinking of Moving to Ontario

Old Jul 15th 2014, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

neneromanova is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of Moving to Ontario

You've probably been asked this thousands of times, but here goes

Hubby has always wanted to live in Canada since a young age. His Aunt lives there in Collingwood, Ontario‏ and he loves it round there.

What would be the first thing to look into to move over there. Looking at jobs on a job site, OH could look at getting highly paid job which is nice. He's a Systems/Web Developer so I don't know what the call for that is out there.

I love the idea of living in a different country. I always regret listening to parents when I was younger saying I wasn't allowed to go to Japan. I can't do that now as I have 3 children to think about. They are 6, 3 (nearly 4) and 8 months so good ages to move I think. I also think there could be better opportunities in Canada than the UK.

Sorry, I'm rambling.

Basically, is it a good idea, or is it a case of the "grass is greener"?
Old Jul 15th 2014, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Thinking of Moving to Ontario

Originally Posted by neneromanova
You've probably been asked this thousands of times, but here goes

Hubby has always wanted to live in Canada since a young age. His Aunt lives there in Collingwood, Ontario‏ and he loves it round there.

What would be the first thing to look into to move over there. Looking at jobs on a job site, OH could look at getting highly paid job which is nice. He's a Systems/Web Developer so I don't know what the call for that is out there.

I love the idea of living in a different country. I always regret listening to parents when I was younger saying I wasn't allowed to go to Japan. I can't do that now as I have 3 children to think about. They are 6, 3 (nearly 4) and 8 months so good ages to move I think. I also think there could be better opportunities in Canada than the UK.

Sorry, I'm rambling.

Basically, is it a good idea, or is it a case of the "grass is greener"?
I think it can definitely be a case of "grass is greener", things aren't necessarily better in Canada they are just different, sometimes for the worse & sometimes for the better.

The bottom line is, everyone is different some will have great experiences others will not, I think if it's something you really want to do & have the opportunity to then go for it, you can always move back if you hate it (albeit a bit poorer). You'll never get it out of your system otherwise & could spend the rest of your life regretting it.

But that's just my view
Old Jul 15th 2014, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah I know I would come to regret it. How do I go about looking to do it then? Do We get hubby a job first, or send him over to look for work then we follow?
Old Jul 15th 2014, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I know I would come to regret it. How do I go about looking to do it then? Do We get hubby a job first, or send him over to look for work then we follow?
There's so many different routes you kinda have to look up what one suits you best.

One option is for him to get a job offer, that company would then need to apply for an LMO (Labour Market Opinion - basically the government want to know if a Canadian could fill the role first) if that comes back positive he can get a TWP (Temporary Work Permit), then after so many months of working in Canada he can apply for PR (Permanent Residency) through the PNP (Provincial Nominee Program).

The hardest part this is to find an employer willing to jump through hoops to take him on & then getting a positive LMO.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 12:24 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of
Cool re: Thinking of Moving to Ontario

Originally Posted by confused_uk
There's so many different routes you kinda have to look up what one suits you best.

One option is for him to get a job offer, that company would then need to apply for an LMO (Labour Market Opinion - basically the government want to know if a Canadian could fill the role first) if that comes back positive he can get a TWP (Temporary Work Permit), then after so many months of working in Canada he can apply for PR (Permanent Residency) through the PNP (Provincial Nominee Program).

The hardest part this is to find an employer willing to jump through hoops to take him on & then getting a positive LMO.
I think you can only apply for pr if that job is recognized as skilled Labour
Old Jul 15th 2014, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arniedog
That is true, he will need to come under NOC skill level of 0, A, or B, you can find more info on NOC codes here:

Where can I get more info on the National Occupation Classification (NOC) codes?

(It sounds like he probably qualifies though)
Old Jul 15th 2014, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

I must be stupid as I don't know which one he falls under. I did take the test on that site though and it said I failed

EDIT: He has "2 or more post-secondary educational credentials (Must include 3 year post-secondary credentials)" If that makes any difference?

Last edited by neneromanova; Jul 15th 2014 at 1:57 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 2:53 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Collingwood, Ontario‏
Lovely part of Ontario to be fair.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 3:04 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

There are a number of streams that might work for your husband - you need to do a bit of your own research first. Grab yourself a big pot of tea and start reading through the Wiki - Category:Canada : British Expat Wiki . The most common streams are FSW, TWP, and PNP. But there are 50+ ways to immigrate, so you need to work out which one(s) you qualify for and go from there. Once you've started to narrow it down, post back with more questions - you will find you get better advice once you've done some more research yourself first.

Good luck!
Old Jul 15th 2014, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

GrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to all

I think it can definitely be a case of "grass is greener", things aren't necessarily better in Canada they are just different, sometimes for the worse & sometimes for the better.

The bottom line is, everyone is different some will have great experiences others will not, I think if it's something you really want to do & have the opportunity to then go for it, you can always move back if you hate it (albeit a bit poorer). You'll never get it out of your system otherwise & could spend the rest of your life regretting it.

But that's just my view
Old Jul 15th 2014, 3:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, there are ways to apply for PR even if a job isn't skilled, as many PNP's have semi or low skilled streams - although they would require an applicant to be working in Canada first. That's how people like truck drivers get PR usually.

That is true, he will need to come under NOC skill level of 0, A, or B, you can find more info on NOC codes here:

Where can I get more info on the National Occupation Classification (NOC) codes?

(It sounds like he probably qualifies though)
If you're talking about the FSW program, then he'd not only need a skill level of A, O or B, but he'd also need either a job offer or a job on the list of 50 eligible occupations.

OP - as you may have gathered, the first thing to do is figure out if either of you are eligible for a visa now, or if not, plan a job hunting trip and see if you can convince an employer to do the paperwork/spend $1000/wait several months for a LMIA for you (the LMIA is the same thing as the LMO mentioned above, but it's not called a LMO anymore).

Start with the Wiki and the CIC website, and then once you've figured out a likely visa route feel free to shout with any questions and somebody will always try and help.

Best of luck.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

I must be stupid as I don't know which one he falls under. I did take the test on that site though and it said I failed

EDIT: He has "2 or more post-secondary educational credentials (Must include 3 year post-secondary credentials)" If that makes any difference?

I would say (though only you would know) his job falls in this category:

Detailed Occupational Structure

Then once you figure out his noc code you look on the matrix table (below link) to see which skill category it falls under

Matrix

It can be a little hard to get your head around first but it will make sense.

I'm not sure what test you've taken, is it for the FSW program?

Like Schnookoloy says check out the wiki link & see what options might be available to you
Old Jul 15th 2014, 3:35 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read of the wiki that snookololy posted the link to to try and get a handle on the current immigration options.

If immigration seems an option the the next step is to spend a few weeks here looking about, checking out schooling, jobs, property costs (Collingwood is nice, but its not cheap, and jobs to fund that are likely in Toronto so a bit of a commute, and no fun in the winter). Dont confuse that with a vacation...

Is the grass greener? Im happy enough here, but there are definitely pros and cons and much probably depends on having a decent income here and finding an area that suits you. At least the vast size of canada makes different sorts of areas a possibility, but thats also true in the UK too I think, if to a lesser degree. Certainly a lot less stress hassle and expense to move within the UK or even Europe than it is to come to Canada.

Its important to understand why you want to do this, its wont always be easy so you need to make a list of pros and cons of where you are now to get an understanding of what it is you hope to find in Canada, and how likely that is to be realised once here. People on the forum are generally pretty helpful in answering any questions, although there are definitely distinct phases of expatship you can identify among us from "rose tinted newby" through "jaded hasbeen" and all stops in between.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 15th 2014 at 3:42 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 4:01 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of
Cool re: Thinking of Moving to Ontario

[QUOTE=christmasoompa;11337086]Nope, there are ways to apply for PR even if a job isn't skilled, as many PNP's have semi or low skilled streams - although they would require an applicant to be working in Canada first. That's how people like truck drivers get PR usually.

I think you will find truck drivers cannot get pr in Ontario
Old Jul 15th 2014, 4:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find truck drivers cannot get pr in Ontario
Yes, but they can in other provinces. I was simply replying to your statement 'you can only apply for PR if that job is recognised as skilled labour', which isn't correct.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.